Landworkers’ Alliance | Page 2 | Vital Football

Landworkers’ Alliance

On yer bikes... actually, I was looking at the price of cycles last night - blew me away ! Having a half decent cycle these days seems to be very expensive - £5K to 10K seems normal !!!
Might be looking to get a decent compact bike after we move but would not pay that sort of money. 4 to 5 hundred tops.i get Arthritis in my spine so decent suspension is vital .Ideally I want to be able to take in on a train and put in a estate car with ease.Any ideas most welcomed .But forget 1K + no thanks.

Might be looking to get a decent compact bike after we move but would not pay that sort of money. 4 to 5 hundred tops.i get Arthritis in my spine so decent suspension is vital .Ideally I want to be able to take in on a train and put in a estate car with ease.Any ideas most welcomed .But forget 1K + no thanks.

If I remember rightly chris you are headed Lincolnshire way, where bicycling is more popular. Check out your local bike shop and tell them what you want and see what they have. Suspension in budget bikes is heavy and not very useful and your back would do better with a lighter bike. Full size bikes are fine on trains but getting bikes into cars can be frustrating and difficult, not good on the back. Halfords do a couple of cheapish folders by Carrera (£350 to £380). 20inch wheels so a better ride than the tiny wheelers.

Last time I was in Bluewater there were two new bike stores! Pelaton, which looked like an online group cyling software with bike hardware and a bespoke bike dealer with multi thousand pound bikes in the windows.
Clearly some great profit margins available if you can find a few middle class pedalling fanatics to part with their cash.

If I remember rightly chris you are headed Lincolnshire way, where bicycling is more popular. Check out your local bike shop and tell them what you want and see what they have. Suspension in budget bikes is heavy and not very useful and your back would do better with a lighter bike. Full size bikes are fine on trains but getting bikes into cars can be frustrating and difficult, not good on the back. Halfords do a couple of cheapish folders by Carrera (£350 to £380). 20inch wheels so a better ride than the tiny wheelers.
Thanks.I never said where as to be honest work is still dragging their feet on it as result of coronavirus I believe.I know where I want to go .Largely it has been agreed but i still await the final go ahead .if i don't get it definitely in writing then i can't go.But might agree another area altogether if my 1st choice doesn't happen.

Check out Dahon for a brand, very well made and not expensive. I ride the espresso which is a hybrid with full size frame and 26"wheels but folds. Gets me on the train and fits in the car. I've had the city type fold ups but I found this much more comfortable for my size.
dahon-espresso-2009-folding-bike-00128075-9999-1.jpg

Check out Dahon for a brand, very well made and not expensive. I ride the espresso which is a hybrid with full size frame and 26"wheels but folds. Gets me on the train and fits in the car. I've had the city type fold ups but I found this much more comfortable for my size.
View attachment 39498
CHEERS I will make a note of that one it sounds just the ticket.Looks perfect thank you.

Last edited:
CHEERS I will make a note of that one it sounds just the ticket.Looks perfect thank you.

That's a really good choice from Nobby but it might be that it isn't currently sold under that name. Dahon change names and models frequently, as do others. Bigger wheels, simpler folding, decent components all good if you can find one. If not it may take a bit of searching to find the current and similar model.

Cheers but I am not going to buy until after the move .Never done E bay but might be a good idea to do something like that in this case.

If you are still going to be working Chris, ask your new employer about “cycle to work scheme”. Most companies do it these days, You get a voucher from them to buy the bike, then pay it back over a year through your wages before tax. Can end up getting really good savings, and not just a bike either. Lights, lid etc can usually all be purchased as part of the scheme.

If you are still going to be working Chris, ask your new employer about “cycle to work scheme”. Most companies do it these days, You get a voucher from them to buy the bike, then pay it back over a year through your wages before tax. Can end up getting really good savings, and not just a bike either. Lights, lid etc can usually all be purchased as part of the scheme.
I am trying to transfer but with me being in the health sector things have gone a bit pear shaped and I now have prepared for a move that is unlikely to get the go ahead until coronavirus is at least cut to a minimum. That still seems miles off in the UK especially with the Southend problem yesterday.My old employer did that scheme not sure this one does.

Careful there Rob. You’ll be hung out to dry if you promote tax avoidance schemes on this forum.