Lancaster | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lancaster

Is there another Vulcan that could be got back to actual flying? I know there are a few parked up in air museums etc. Wonder if the fabulous people at Vulcan to the Sky have their eyes on any?
(And btw I've always thought it so bad that they had to raise all their funds for the Vulcan when BBMF is MOD backed)
(And no slight on BBMF - it correctly and very properly and totally deservedly funded in that way)

It's more than that., but not for a footie forum.
Might have to get my Dad out of retirement. He's 81 now but was an instrument mechanic with Avro on the Vulcans. Wonder what he could do with a couple of tin cans and a bit of string.

Just watching look north. I’m obviously aware that scampton is closing. But LN has just told us that during and after the war. Chemical weapons and waste was routinely dumped all over the site like at wood hall spa.

Sadly not.

There is one doing ground runs at Southend Airport. Bumped into one of their team outside Lakenheath earlier this year. It's not airworthy though, sadly, as you say.

Not sure if the one at Wellesbourne still taxies, but the airfield is under threat from housing development.

Just watching look north. I’m obviously aware that scampton is closing. But LN has just told us that during and after the war. Chemical weapons and waste was routinely dumped all over the site like at wood hall spa.

Press hyperbole methinks, the chemical warfare dump was at Swinderby for the Lincolnshire airfields. It was decontaminated in the '70s with much hue and cry.

About £300 for a 15 minute taxi run in a Lancaster isn't it?
My uncle did one last year and my cousin (his son) did one a few weeks ago at East Kirkby, but it was birthday presents in both cases so not sure of cost (saw videos on FB). Re the Vulcans, I used to live in married quarters in Rutland Way on Scamptôn when I was about 10. The Vulcans used to rev up and take off from the end of our road (probably about 500mtrs) - windows rattled & shook - I dread to think what the surveyors report on our house would have been like ?

I went into the cockpit of the Lancaster at an airshow in my youth, Coningsby I think. I didn't really appreciate the significance at the time. I guess that it would be one of the things that if I was to do the same again now, it would be one of the only occasions I'd be more excited than when I was a kid.

In other news, I had a Vulcan birthday cake when I was about six. My mum was dead chuffed as surely as far as plane cakes go, it must be one of the easiest to sculpt. Surely the coolest aircraft ever made. That roar! It's a shame we'll never get to hear that again

Absolutely a shame.
And sad that it's rules that are stopping it flying. The XH558 IS airworthy & all the crew at Doncaster know that better than anyone. Such a shame that their expertise and knowledge could be lost forever.
A plane that was completely from the future when it first appeared & never bettered since.
(And totally remarkable how the design went from the Lancaster to the Vulcan in such a short time).