Lancaster | Page 4 | Vital Football

Lancaster

The Vulcan was a fabulous plane. I have lost count of the number of times we would be stopped at the lights on the A15 as one either took off or came in to land. What a sight, what a sound, and all just a few yards above our heads.

When the Lanc was on the gate at Scampton, you could go inside it on a Sunday morning. I remember doing that the day after Imps beat Northampton 8-0, so it must have been Oct 1980.

There's a few places you can get inside the cockpit of a Vulcan as well, the one I did was at Midland Air Museum at Coventry, seem to remember Norwich might be another one with access.

When the Lanc was on the gate at Scampton, you could go inside it on a Sunday morning. I remember doing that the day after Imps beat Northampton 8-0, so it must have been Oct 1980.

It was painted as G for George if memory serves whilst it was the gate guardian at Scampton. This machine is being restored to flying condition at East Kirby now and has been renamed "Just Jane", the last time I looked it had been brought up to taxy condition, but is still some way off being airworthy yet.

Last edited:
We used to bike there, well anywhere really, from town. Remember climbing on the wing and standing on the bombs. Circa 1970.
I feel really offended that it’s not there and feel real disappointment when I drive past the gates that’s it’s not there.