Lampard | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lampard

I watched the Villa Derby final and after the game (can't remember the pundits) but they said the goals Derby conceded were typical of the season and Lampard had clearly not the experience to have spotted and addressed the issues all season. I think this could be very embarrassing for him as he is found out to be the total managerial novice that he is within 3 to 4 months of the season. Today, again, showed the man has no defensive acumen. Nostalgia is a lovely thing but it's not always successful.

If he's got any sense he will surround himself with experienced staff to give him the best chance of success.

I like Lampard but think it is ridiculous that he's landed a top job so soon merelly because he's a Chelsea "legend" to their deluded fans.

Looking forward to Chelsea flopping and their moany fans getting heir comeuppance. They moaned about Sarri ffs. Don't know how lucky they are/were.

I like Lampard but think it is ridiculous that he's landed a top job so soon merelly because he's a Chelsea "legend" to their deluded fans.

Looking forward to Chelsea flopping and their moany fans getting heir comeuppance. They moaned about Sarri ffs. Don't know how lucky they are/were.

From listening to the radio, I think most Chelsea fans admit that Lampard would not have got the job this time around had the club not been placed under a transfer embargo. With Jody Morris being the youth team manager / development officer around 12 months prior, this is a pretty unique set of circumstances. The Lampard / Morris combination is probably the most knowledgable team that could have gone in with the players they have been left with.

From listening to the radio, I think most Chelsea fans admit that Lampard would not have got the job this time around had the club not been placed under a transfer embargo. With Jody Morris being the youth team manager / development officer around 12 months prior, this is a pretty unique set of circumstances. The Lampard / Morris combination is probably the most knowledgable team that could have gone in with the players they have been left with.
Hit the nail on the head I would think

Yep, everyone is happy, the fans have a legend, the owner has someone to "hold the fort " until the ban is lifted with minimum risk as he and Morris know the squad and Frank has a guaranteed £5m in the bank.
Everyone's a winner........

I think people are right to be wary - Lampard has very little experience at any level and it often never works. That said, he's not one of the usual run of the mill managers - no not because he's got 11 GCSEs, A level Latin or a high IQ - he's a bit of a thinker and the transfer embargo might work in his favour. Chelsea weren't that bad on Sunday or not as bad as the scoreline suggests - they hit the woodwork twice and had several other good opportunities to score. You can't write-off any team after one match.

I think people are right to be wary - Lampard has very little experience at any level and it often never works. That said, he's not one of the usual run of the mill managers - no not because he's got 11 GCSEs, A level Latin or a high IQ - he's a bit of a thinker and the transfer embargo might work in his favour. Chelsea weren't that bad on Sunday or not as bad as the scoreline suggests - they hit the woodwork twice and had several other good opportunities to score. You can't write-off any team after one match.
Although some have written us off after two ?

Must have been a tricky decision for Lampard. Many millions waved under his nose to manage the club he loves without having to worry about buying players. Legend status retained whether he succeeds or fails.
Tough call.

I also don’t have a track record of failure in football management!!

I have to disagree. I think he will fail spectacularly and quickly. A lot of things are running against him:

- Inexperienced candidate
- Transfer embargo
- Impatient owner
- Super high expectation from fans
- Taking over from a manager that probably overachieved last year

Time will tell.

It's Christmas, and your prediction of him failing spectacularly and quickly was clearly way wide of the mark. I think he is going to be at the club for a while.

I still hate Chelsea though

I wish Lampard the best of luck if he gets the job.

In the PL and especially with one of the big clubs, trophies are non-negotiable. If I were one of the chairmen of these clubs, I’d definitely have more confidence in an experienced manager with a track record of success managing big clubs (like Sarri) rather than an ex player who has had a couple of weeks of success as Derby manager.

With some noticeable exceptions (Alex Fergusson, Moyes at Everton and few others) it always ends in tears. But I expect it will end in tears very quickly for Lampard.
I wouldn't call Alex Ferguson a inexperienced manager by the time he arrived at Manchester United. Taking Aberdeen to the top of the Scottish game was by means a easy job.He spent a fair time as a manager before he arrived at Old Trafford.

Last edited:
It's Christmas, and your prediction of him failing spectacularly and quickly was clearly way wide of the mark. I think he is going to be at the club for a while.

I still hate Chelsea though

Christmas 2020.

...okay... ...I called it wrong.

If I’m wrong about Lampard, then maybe I could be wrong about Brexit too?!?

To be fair, i dont think anyone ever claimed labour would defo win. They just stated what they thought was right to vote for etc....and argued about it for 5000 posts.

The same could be said about the EU thread, which went to over 10k posts lol

I wish Lampard the best of luck if he gets the job.

In the PL and especially with one of the big clubs, trophies are non-negotiable. If I were one of the chairmen of these clubs, I’d definitely have more confidence in an experienced manager with a track record of success managing big clubs (like Sarri) rather than an ex player who has had a couple of weeks of success as Derby manager.

With some noticeable exceptions (Alex Fergusson, Moyes at Everton and few others) it always ends in tears. But I expect it will end in tears very quickly for Lampard.

Sacked.

I got it wrong. He lasted longer than 6 months that I predicted.

And actually, I say they Abramovich was wrong to sack him. He’s done a great job especially with all the kids.

It does seem a bit harsh but then if the expectation is to win the league, then anything else is failure.