Lampard | Vital Football

Lampard

Trashbat

Vital 1st Team Regular
I’ll give him 6 months at Chelsea before he gets the boot - assuming he gets the gig.

How can new managers with no experience land such jobs?

In fairness, SL did some time scouting, as manager of lower league teams, and as assistant coach.

Lampard is close to securing a top managerial job on the strength of his reputation as a very good football player.

In fairness, SL did some time scouting, as manager of lower league teams, and as assistant coach.

Lampard is close to securing a top managerial job on the strength of his reputation as a very good football player.

He was manager of Derby last season (still is actually). I don't know whether you missed that?

He was manager of Derby last season (still is actually). I don't know whether you missed that?

I wish Lampard the best of luck if he gets the job.

In the PL and especially with one of the big clubs, trophies are non-negotiable. If I were one of the chairmen of these clubs, I’d definitely have more confidence in an experienced manager with a track record of success managing big clubs (like Sarri) rather than an ex player who has had a couple of weeks of success as Derby manager.

With some noticeable exceptions (Alex Fergusson, Moyes at Everton and few others) it always ends in tears. But I expect it will end in tears very quickly for Lampard.

It makes sense in a way due to Chelsea's ban on buying players. Jody Morris will go with Lampard and he previously worked with Chelsea under 21s so will have a good knowledge of who can make the step up. Still a big jump for Lampard though.

In the PL and especially with one of the big clubs, trophies are non-negotiable. If I were one of the chairmen of these clubs, I’d definitely have more confidence in an experienced manager with a track record of success managing big clubs (like Sarri) rather than an ex player who has had a couple of weeks of success as Derby manager.

Fat Frank isn't an experienced manager, but his dad was an assistant manager for years and years, and his uncle is Harry Redknapp. He has been a player at the highest level for 15 years and a club captain, he is supposedly highly intelligent, and he has had an amount of success in his short time as manager. He hasn't had a track record of success, but that also means that he hasn't had a track record of failure. I think that (unfortunately) he won't be a failure if he gets the job. We may find out one way or the other!

Fat Frank isn't an experienced manager, but his dad was an assistant manager for years and years, and his uncle is Harry Redknapp. He has been a player at the highest level for 15 years and a club captain, he is supposedly highly intelligent, and he has had an amount of success in his short time as manager. He hasn't had a track record of success, but that also means that he hasn't had a track record of failure. I think that (unfortunately) he won't be a failure if he gets the job. We may find out one way or the other!

I also don’t have a track record of failure in football management!!

I have to disagree. I think he will fail spectacularly and quickly. A lot of things are running against him:

- Inexperienced candidate
- Transfer embargo
- Impatient owner
- Super high expectation from fans
- Taking over from a manager that probably overachieved last year

Time will tell.

Good luck I say but whatever his association with the club being a manager puts a different light on things especially one that is as toxic as Chelsea. OK, he might be able to overcome the embargo by bringing back certain loan players etc etc but, at Chelsea, not only is the boss fickle, the fans can turn too. Sarri was a sort of odd ball with some strange ways but he got a result and a high league position. What more do they effing want? Of course the money will be good but, if he wanted my advice, I'd say stay at Derby another season or two and get some real experience.

Good luck I say but whatever his association with the club being a manager puts a different light on things especially one that is as toxic as Chelsea. OK, he might be able to overcome the embargo by bringing back certain loan players etc etc but, at Chelsea, not only is the boss fickle, the fans can turn too. Sarri was a sort of odd ball with some strange ways but he got a result and a high league position. What more do they effing want? Of course the money will be good but, if he wanted my advice, I'd say stay at Derby another season or two and get some real experience.
But Sarri chose to leave. Homesick. Not fired.

I have to disagree. I think he will fail spectacularly and quickly. A lot of things are running against him:

- Transfer embargo
- Impatient owner

Time will tell.

Fortunately for him he will he paid several million pounds whether he succeeds or not!

- Transfer embargo
- Impatient owner

Time will tell.

I’m no fan of Lampard, I thought he was a good player but certainly not the world beater many thought. But looking at your list of things running against him......

- Inexperienced candidate. *as already mentioned his father and uncle have years of experience between them and are obviously just a phone call away.

- Transfer embargo. *i actually think this could work in his favour as he won’t have millions to spunk on possibly the wrong personnel. What is there is what he’s gotta work with. And again as previously mentioned Jody Morris will go with him.

- Impatient owner. * That has been there many years and has a good relationship with a long loyal servant of the club.

- Super high expectation from fans. * who laud him as a club legend and will give him a longer honeymoon period than most other managers would get. I mean, look at the shit served up at home by SL last year and yet some think he still should be in charge.

- Taking over from a manager that probably overachieved last year. * well, this one I will agree with. However it still wasn’t enough for their fans.

I think it may just work for them, providing he gets time to build, say, 5 years or something.
That probably won’t happen though.

I didn't say he did or didn't; I was alluding to the fickle Chelsea fans not really getting behind him.

Spot on Wayne. Chelsea fans were digging him out for months but he got them a top 4 finish and a trophy at the end of the season. Can't have asked for much more realistically.

Lampard is one of the very few who could say 'No' now and still get another chance in a couple of years. Abramovic waving five and a half million at him might make his mind up though.

Chelsea will have to completely change their attitude and not expect to win something every year. Hopefully Roman has agreed and Lampard will be given time. The spoilt post Abramovich supporters and the home matchday supporters, will have to learn that u support a club, even when the going gets tough. we shall see