Lamela misses semi | Vital Football

Lamela misses semi

Spursex

Alert Team
Tottenham's Erik Lamela will miss League Cup semi-final, but Jose Mourinho does not say why

Lamela faces disciplinary action along with Giovani Lo Celso and Sergio Reguilon after they were pictured at a party over the festive season

By Mike McGrath 3 January 2021 • 10:30pm

TELEMMGLPICT000247883361_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq3480UNUU8UfSxDSaY1n7MJnuY4UbxcB2MbjOVJTgcCA.jpegimwidth=480

Lamela apologised after pictures emerged on social media of the party which breached Covid rules Credit: Getty Images

Erik Lamela will miss the Carabao Cup semi-final against Brentford, three days after being condemned by Jose Mourinho for breaking Covid-19 rules at Christmas.
Mourinho has confirmed Lamela will miss Tottenham Hotspur’s tie on Tuesday but has not revealed the reason behind the Argentina forward’s absence.
Lamela, 28, faces disciplinary action along with Giovani Lo Celso and Sergio Reguilon after they were pictured at a party over the festive season.
Reguilon was an unused substitute in the victory over Leeds United on Saturday, while Lo Celso is sidelined with a thigh injury.
Spurs said it did not comment on private medical matters when asked whether Lamela had tested positive for coronavirus but Mourinho did confirm he was out of the midweek last-four clash against Thomas Frank’s team.
“Not available,” said Mourinho. “It’s not for me to tell you. I just tell you that against Brentford he cannot play.”
Lamela apologised after the pictures emerged on social media of the party, which was also attended by West Ham United’s Manuel Lanzini and broke the Government’s rules on mixing socially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I am truly thankful to everyone working hard to keep us safe and I feel ashamed knowing I’ve let people down,” said Lamela.
Lo Celso also apologised and expressed his regret over his actions, while Reguilon’s attendance at the party led to Mourinho saying how disappointed he was after buying a roasted suckling pig for the Spaniard, assuming he would be spending Christmas in isolation.
Reguilon is expected to be in the squad to face Brentford, given he was on the bench against Leeds. Mourinho is already without Gareth Bale through injury and Matt Doherty is suspended after his late red card during the 3-0 win.
Lamela would have been expected to feature if fit after starting against Chelsea and coming off the bench against Stoke City in previous rounds.

Surely people can't keep defending Lamela's continuation as a Spurs player. His record of not being available for selection is beyond a joke, and this season is exactly the same as the previous ones.

He clearly can instil a bit of urgency from the bench at times, but his salary doesn't warrant having that luxury once every few weeks. We need to find a better solution for the squad.

Surely people can't keep defending Lamela's continuation as a Spurs player. His record of not being available for selection is beyond a joke, and this season is exactly the same as the previous ones.

He clearly can instil a bit of urgency from the bench at times, but his salary doesn't warrant having that luxury once every few weeks. We need to find a better solution for the squad.
Won't be too long before we are saying the same about Lo Celso.

Is he not available for selection or being excluded ?

That's exactly what I was thinking after I saw the way Jose gave his cryptic answer.

I have no clue who would be daft enough though.

Of course the other obvious answer is a positive test/isolation. I asked someone who should know about his status and apparently a team did enquire about him in the last window, got a silly valuation and said 'no chance'. Oh well.

Completely agree. Although he has looked good under Jose it's time we move on. The only positive aspect that he brings is that energy, passion and desire that Jose singles him out for praise for. But the picture of him with this willingness to fight for his team has been utterly destroyed by his selfish antics over Christmas.

A ridiculous £30m fee paid, and seven and a half years of high wages and many absences for a bang-average player. I don't think not even Daniel can salvage much recompense.

I like his passion and commitment....But if he wasn't a Spurs player, I wouldn't want to buy him, because passion etc is not enough. He does offer exciting mins here and there, but not enough to depend on and mostly without an end product. If he doesn't go, then I don't see him as a first team starter, but for me that goes for so many: Winks, Bergwyn, Lucas, Sissoko, Sanchez, Davies, Serge & more if I thought about it. Think if we got a decent offer...take it