Lady Thatcher dies | Vital Football

Lady Thatcher dies

Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died at 87 following a stroke, her spokesman has said.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning."

Baroness Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990.

She was the first woman to hold the post. Her family is expected to make a further statement later.

I can't think of a more divisive public figure. They have just announced there is going to be a state funeral which I strongly disagree with.

If someone like her was in charge now, there wouldn't be people on the dole receiving more money than I earn for working my knackers off.

Ranger - 8/4/2013 13:29

she was a great PM but made some mistakes which is what everyone remembers unfortunately

That's probably the best description.

10 years of good, strong, sensible leadership, and half a dozen mistakes.

Some people tend to remember the mistakes.

A lady driven by deeply held principles and a sense of duty to her country. Whether or not you agreed with her policies she wasn't self-serving like the current bunch of do-anything/say-anything no hopers.

I didn't agree with all that she did but you knew were never in doubt about what the Government stood for!

Wurzel - 8/4/2013 13:27

She cannot have a state funeral as she is not a head of state.

Winston Churchill had a state funeral.

Brought the country out of the grip of the Unions, which was a great thing. As with all long serving politicians she got a lot wrong, and I like many suffered with her policies, but overall she made some correct and important decisions.

RIP.