La Republique Centrafricaine (N/G) | Vital Football

La Republique Centrafricaine (N/G)

At least there are no cannibals there today like Bokassa

I saw the effects of Russian involvement on that continent at first hand thirty years ago (Guinea / Congo)

Any political meddling in Africa is doomed to failure. That's what I think (from first hand experience - trust me)

At least there are no cannibals there today like Bokassa

I saw the effects of Russian involvement on that continent at first hand thirty years ago (Guinea / Congo)

Any political meddling in Africa is doomed to failure. That's what I think (from first hand experience - trust me)

Was it ever proven that he was a cannibal?

I know a bit about the history of Congo and the mad Belgian king who killed millions.

But not really that up to date about things there, so sorry can't do much discussing. Interested to hear more though....

Re Zaire you must read "King Leopold's Ghost" by Adam Hochschild (1998). Belgian colonialism was the most brutal and barbaric of any European nation. Should be available on Amazon.

For info on the Cental African Republic (formerly the Central African Empire) you
need to watch the Werner Herzog documentary (circa 1990 -showing my age here)

It's entitled "Echoes From a Sombre Empire" "Echoes aus einem duesteren Reich"
in German. Well worth a watch. Ceaucescu gave a Romanian ballet dancer to Bokassa on a state visit.

As to what was in his freezer I shudder to think.

Last edited:
Re Zaire you must read "King Leopold's Ghost" by Adam Hochschild (1998). Belgian colonialism was the most brutal and barbaric of any European nation. Should be available on Amazon.

For info on the Cental African Republic (formerly the Central African Empire) you
need to watch the Werner Herzog documentary (circa 1990 -showing my age here)

It's entitled "Echoes From a Sombre Empire" "Echoes aus einem duesteren Reich"
in German. Well worth a watch. Ceaucescu gave a Romanian ballet dancer to Bokassa on a state visit.

As to what was in his freezer I shudder to think.

I'm not ignoring this, BOB. I started watching the documentary, got about half way through. It's a poor quality recording and it's good that it's mostly subtitles cos the sound is really bad. And it seems quite slow paced.

But it's interesting. I intend to watch the rest soon. I'll pop back here again when I have and let you know my thoughts.