L1 wage cap vote | Page 2 | Vital Football

L1 wage cap vote

Now confirmed - it's a lowest common denominator solution for me.
May as well introduce prem2 and announce no promotion and relegation whilst there at it.
The timing of this for our club is the latest in the series of kicks to the bollocks.
How can it possibly work for clubs "relegated" fm the championship with currently continuing player contracts ?
The bigger of all muddles commences- well done to the clubs voting for this who have now helped in destroying the pyramid system and their longer term ambition.
Wonder how we voted ? Or if the EFL "allowed" us to

Awful news for us right now. Had it come in a year later when we'd gotten our act together then it probably would have been good news. How on earth are we going to be able to cut our wage bill appropriately? A year's grace just should have been given before the cap came into affect in 2021/22 to give all clubs a chance to get their act together. The administrators also selling all our best youngsters is going to fuck us right over as they are probably our best chance going forward to creating a strong L1 team with a salary cap.

I suspect this will mean us letting players like Byrne go for free. They are too old to be sought after for fees, but we can't afford to keep their wages. Also agree with MIW that it's absolutely terrible news for a lot of players (including those we are releasing) who are not good enough for the Championship but very good in League One. They'll all have to take significant pay cuts just to join a club should no one in the Championship want them. No wonder the PFA are furious.

I reckon by the end of this decade the Premier League will buy out the Championship from the EFL. It may even become a closed shop should a number of EFL clubs go to the wall over the next few years. Television broadcasters certainly wouldn't care as to them the Premier League is the be all and end all. No one outside of the Championship is safe.

Last edited:
Awful news for us right now. Had it come in a year later when we'd gotten our act together then it probably would have been good news. How on earth are we going to be able to cut our wage bill appropriately? A year's grace just should have been given before the cap came into affect in 2021/22 to give all clubs a chance to get their act together. The administrators also selling all our best youngsters is going to fuck us right over as they are probably our best chance going forward to creating a strong L1 team with a salary cap.

I suspect this will mean us letting players like Byrne go for free. They are too old to be sought after for fees, but we can't afford to keep their wages. Also agree with MIW that it's absolutely terrible news for a lot of players (including those we are releasing) who are not good enough for the Championship but very good in League One. They'll all have to take significant pay cuts just to join a club should no one in the Championship want them. No wonder the PFA are furious.

I reckon by the end of this decade the Premier League will buy out the Championship from the EFL. It may even become a closed shop should a number of EFL clubs go to the wall over the next few years. Television broadcasters certainly wouldn't care as to them the Premier League is the be all and end all. No one outside of the Championship is safe.

Worth remembering it doesn't affect players already under contract in the 2.5 million figure (they get put in as an average) and under 21s don't count which gives us some leeway over the next 12 months but for out of contract players it's gonna be tough for sure with average wage being 1750 a week going forward. What's bizarre is a club like Sunderland with potential crowds of 40k will have the same playing budget as Accrington Stanley with crowds of 1.5k. However hard it might be we need to have a tilt at promotion next year!

Looks like the PFA are saying it's illegal as they weren't consulted. Probably yet another appeal for them to deal with. I wonder who'll be on the independent panel this time?

Looks like the PFA are saying it's illegal as they weren't consulted. Probably yet another appeal for them to deal with. I wonder who'll be on the independent panel this time?
It will be the same patsies from Barnsley who did such a good job for them last time.
Also feel for Charlton here - Hull not so much.
No wonder the allowed SW off until next season.
The EFL must be delighted they've stuffed us (along with other clubs in L1 and 2 who have larger grounds and overheads) yet again - not often I would side with the PFA but your enemies enemy is your friend on this one.

This gives us a slight advantage,players currently under contract don't count so our current players,although taking a bit of a cut for relegation know they will be in for a big cut if they leave for a fellow league 1 side!

I wonder how this applies to players coming in on loan? I wonder if we could come to an "arrangement" where the players club pays the whole of the players wages? Could we then turn round and say to them at the end of the loan period they could have one of our players but just knock the equivalent to those wages off the fee?

Just a thought our out of contract players may decide if there wage is going to be lower they may as well have it lower with us

It's a good point. The likes of Jacobs and Dunkley would be touch and go in getting a championship club in my opinion and the "sure fire promotion contenders" will already be looking at reducing wage bills over the next few years.

How many players are now regretting letting their contracts run down.

Not an issue next season as any club already under contract (or indeed in future under contract when relegated) will only count as the league average wage which is currently £1.3k a week or about £68k per annum.

Its when the players go out of contract that there will be a problem or indeed on trying to sign free agents as no longer can you bump up their wages due to lack of a transfer fee.

Loan players are routinely paid by their parent club with only a percentage covered by the loaning club and so I assume it is this element which will count towards the cap.

At least it means nobody in L1 will be able to sign anyone on big wages and we already can’t sign anyone.

Just a thought our out of contract players may decide if there wage is going to be lower they may as well have it lower with us
It's a fair point. I assume they'll all be training with us until they get a contract offer or even a trial somewhere else. If we manage to get a takeover before that happens, then it would make sense for them to sign on with us if a Championship club won't take them on.

It's still terrible news for them mind. Take Pilkington and Fox for example, both old and injury prone, both were probably on five figures a week with us. They won't even get half of that in their next contract.

Another point worth making, it's going to be impossible to keep hold of good players in L1/L2 due to the gap becoming so big in wages between them and the Championship. It's absolutely key when we sign a young talented player, or bring through an academy prospect to now lock them down on long term contracts of over three years. The chances of young players signing contract extensions for teams in L1/L2 will decrease rapidly as they'll know they can get so much more at a Championship club, even if it's a shit one like Barnsley. The loan market will also become absolutely vital to success. Instead of paying a high proportion of a loan players wages, I suspect outright loan fees will become the norm instead, with the parent club paying all the wages.

Last edited:
Does this apply from now? If so we can't retain more than about 6 first team player (if they want to stay) and can't sign anyone til 2022. Really affects out ability to bounce back. Didn't administrators say 6m wage was target.

Feels like we're the worst off out of all the clubs now and are being locked into lower leagues. We were forced to restart and incur costs while Sunderland and the likes could furlough players and didn't need to complete season.

Does this apply from now? If so we can't retain more than about 6 first team player (if they want to stay) and can't sign anyone til 2022. Really affects out ability to bounce back. Didn't administrators say 6m wage was target.

Feels like we're the worst off out of all the clubs now and are being locked into lower leagues. We were forced to restart and incur costs while Sunderland and the likes could furlough players and didn't need to complete season.

Yes and no. Yes it starts now but all contracts currently above the threshold (so our entire team) are only counted as the league average (1750k p/w) for the duration of the contract.

Looking at super league though each club can sign marquee players. Why dont the efl do that providing we stay within a realistic boundary. If we cap it too much the talent wont be there the game will only be feasible semi pro. Any decent players will fill up the championship and those left will go abroad most likely the MLS. This game is dying

There's also nothing stopping a Sheffield Wednesday for example with their points deduction, extending everyone's contracts in April next year if they're looking at going down and having two or three years of marquee players to go straight back up.

Looking at super league though each club can sign marquee players. Why dont the efl do that providing we stay within a realistic boundary. If we cap it too much the talent wont be there the game will only be feasible semi pro. Any decent players will fill up the championship and those left will go abroad most likely the MLS. This game is dying

To be fair there is a salary cap in MLS albeit with greatly different rules with Designated Players etc

There's also nothing stopping a Sheffield Wednesday for example with their points deduction, extending everyone's contracts in April next year if they're looking at going down and having two or three years of marquee players to go straight back up.
Apparently the contract have to be from January the season before relegation at latest, so no SW wouldn't be able to give them contracts in April but could in January

L1 has just pretty much opened up the door to the end of promotion to the Championship in the long term.

It is probably illegal though so i suspect it will get taken to court and removed.