L1 wage cap vote | Vital Football

L1 wage cap vote

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
Apparently all the L1 clubs are voting on a 2.5m wage cap today.

Not heard this mentioned at all considering it directly effects us and with admin effectively running the club they will have the final decision on our vote - if we are even allowed one

I'm all in favour of capping wages in principle but capping L1 at such a low budget without doing anything with the championship and the Prem in tandem just means they are just widening the gap and making it harder for teams to build a side to compete after promotion.

I think the proposal has a good intention but hasn't been thought through well enough. I see this as making a gulf between divisions and making the Championship into Premier League 2 - it makes no allowances for revenue streams or player sales and if you have an ambitious owner willing to spend you cant and the average wage will have to be so low that you have no chance of getting players to drop down a level as their average salary will be something like a tenth of what it was. I think it should be rejected and tweaked to included other factors - the money is killing lower league football but this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and going to kill the lower leagues in a different way in my opinion.

A cap of sorts makes sense, but this is a very low figure. I'm not sure how it works though. I think it was Barry Fry that said it doesn't include under 21's. So does that mean you can have, for example, 5 players above 21 and pay them almost £10k a week each as long as the rest are under 21? Is it just players wages or does it include coaching staff? It all seems very jumbled up to me, but if the EFL are involved that's no surprise.

Apparently all the L1 clubs are voting on a 2.5m wage cap today.

Not heard this mentioned at all considering it directly effects us and with admin effectively running the club they will have the final decision on our vote - if we are even allowed one

I'm all in favour of capping wages in principle but capping L1 at such a low budget without doing anything with the championship and the Prem in tandem just means they are just widening the gap and making it harder for teams to build a side to compete after promotion.

I think the proposal has a good intention but hasn't been thought through well enough. I see this as making a gulf between divisions and making the Championship into Premier League 2 - it makes no allowances for revenue streams or player sales and if you have an ambitious owner willing to spend you cant and the average wage will have to be so low that you have no chance of getting players to drop down a level as their average salary will be something like a tenth of what it was. I think it should be rejected and tweaked to included other factors - the money is killing lower league football but this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and going to kill the lower leagues in a different way in my opinion.

Yeah your dead right here it seems to me to be an attempt to water down the lower leagues. It will ensure that big clubs remain in the higher divisions and effectively traps clubs like ours who are bigger than the smallest clubs and not as big as the championship ones. I can see the sunderlands of this world being able to attract the best low league talent and to utilise their academy to get out of this league and then adapt well to going up financially as they have huge income. But teams our size will have to be incredibly mindful of spending if you go up and as you know if you dont spend on a league 1 side it will rarely survive in the championship. I also think it makes it far harder for teams like us to compete against the rest of the lower clubs as were not anymore of a draw than they are cause we cant spend and what your effectively left with is a load of insignifcant clubs struggling in leagues 1 and 2 and the interest of fans will slowly bleed away.

For any club relegated from the championship it will be panic stations trying to balance the books again and it will be a mass exodus reguarly, clubs will lose assets and only give players short term deals as they cant ensure survival, players will do well on occasions and leave for nothing. If clubs do risk it and spend big from league 1 promoted clubs and throw loads of money at it, it doesnt neccesarily guarentee sucess and you will see some drop back down with inflated wages and an unbeleivable mess to fix leading to EFL penalties or worse administrations and liquidations.

It isn’t necessarily a bad idea in principle, but I suspect it’s an ill thought out proposal if they are trying to rush it through and impose it now. There is already ffp and it will create an even bigger gulf between the Championship and L1 and L2. As we saw with the curtailment there is already unofficial different treatment between the leagues and effectively will make it extremely difficult for a club to get promoted and then establish itself at a higher level. I’m not entirely sure what the Pfa make of this either. Im guessing most contracts will be a year maybe two at most as no player will want to restrict their earning potential. As a consequence few clubs will then have saleable assets and most will move upwards on frees. As with most financial matters there will be ways around it anyway and it would only work effectively if the Championship had a cap also.

Anything that involves the efl will invariably fail with these incompetent pricks in charge so hopefully clubs will see sense and vote no.

Absolutely no thanks to this, either wage cap all championship league 1 and 2 or none at all, if the wage cap applies it will offer more competition, but the gulf between championship and league 1 would be even worse than it already is

I don't know why people wanted wage caps, I knew this would happen. And even IF they wage capped the championship they will never wage cap the PL. Awful decision, every single day I get more and more sick of this sport. First Mexican League, Wigan's administration and now this?

Apparently the £2.5 million playing budget cap includes the following; tax, National Insurance, medical costs, agents’ fees, appearance, salaries and win bonuses.

It seems to me to me like they're trying to encourage Leagues 1 and 2 to go part time, but without actually saying so.

There will be a lot of disappointed out of contract players. Take Jacobs for example, if he can’t get a championship club then his wage going forward will probably be the lowest it’s been since the very early part of his career when he now should be at his peak and earning the most.

Well it seems finally footballers will have to come down and live in the real world at last. Still better playing football for a living at £500 a week than stacking shelves at Asda

Well it seems finally footballers will have to come down and live in the real world at last. Still better playing football for a living at £500 a week than stacking shelves at Asda

It's just going to affect the lower league players who earned a decent amount but most nothing too huge, in what is a short career. Meanwhile the Premier League and Championship will still earn a ridiculous amounts and create an even bigger gap.

There needs to be a cap at all levels for this to work. Sign for a League One club for 1k a week and start each week, or sign for a Championship club for 8k a week and not even make the match day squad. There is no incentive for footballers to play, just rot in the reserves of the team you can get the highest wage from.

Players won't want to sign long term deals in League One and Two meaning Championship and Premier League clubs can get promising players for knock down fees.

This is all to benefit the teams at the top.

A complete shambles of a proposal from the EFL, I'm a big fan of the salary cap but the organisation of this is utterly woeful and totally incompetent. The EFL is supposed to be an organisation of 72 teams, considering the speed at which teams jump up and down divisions, having separate votes for each division only and not including 33% of teams in it, is ridiculous.

Jimmy Hill has a lot to answer for !

Seriously. It isn't the fault of the players. It's the TV money. Far too much goes to the Premier League, when in reality, they're screwed without the support and filtering of the lower leagues.

Leagues 1 and 2 need to be properly funded by that TV money, in order to make sure the clubs are able to carry on providing the essential service of being the middle of the football pyramid.

The bottom layers of the pyramid - amateur and even semi pro - will carry on as before, run by those who love the game. The top layers - Prem and upper Championship - will also carry on, fed by the manna from Heaven Sky.

The middle however needs a bit of care and attention, otherwise, it's in danger of falling in on itself - particularly in the current climate - and maybe bringing the whole thing crashing down.

For a relegated Prem player to be transferred for 4 times the likely sale value of WAFC is morally reprehensible. It can't continue.

Jimmy Hill fought to life the salary cap for footballers. It was a good move at the time. However, football is now taking the piss.

Jimmy Hill has a lot to answer for !

Seriously. It isn't the fault of the players. It's the TV money. Far too much goes to the Premier League, when in reality, they're screwed without the support and filtering of the lower leagues.

Leagues 1 and 2 need to be properly funded by that TV money, in order to make sure the clubs are able to carry on providing the essential service of being the middle of the football pyramid.

The bottom layers of the pyramid - amateur and even semi pro - will carry on as before, run by those who love the game. The top layers - Prem and upper Championship - will also carry on, fed by the manna from Heaven Sky.

The middle however needs a bit of care and attention, otherwise, it's in danger of falling in on itself - particularly in the current climate - and maybe bringing the whole thing crashing down.

For a relegated Prem player to be transferred for 4 times the likely sale value of WAFC is morally reprehensible. It can't continue.

Jimmy Hill fought to life the salary cap for footballers. It was a good move at the time. However, football is now taking the piss.

It’s a good observation that about the middle ground being in need of care and attention. I just don’t think a cap at the levels proposed, particularly without the Championship being involved, will do that and will just create further problems and inequality.

It’s a good observation that about the middle ground being in need of care and attention. I just don’t think a cap at the levels proposed, particularly without the Championship being involved, will do that and will just create further problems and inequality.

Of course a cap won't do anything. It's attacking the problem from the wrong angle. It's (understandably) aiming to make clubs operate within their means, but at the same time, it fails to acknowledge that the gap between the standards will grow into a chasm. ..................... when a little additional income diverted away from the top clubs would make the whole set up stronger.

The last Sky TV deal was about 4.5bn. Let's say if just 5 % of that went to L1 & 2, then each club would get £4.75m .......each. A drop in the ocean for the Prem teams, but more than a lifeline for the L1 & 2 clubs. Obviously, there'd need to be restrictions on how it was spent .............but maybe that's where the EFL should be focusing their regulations. After all, they don't seem able to vet people joining "the club", so instead, lets make sure they follow rules when they're part of it.

If clubs are not allowed to let fans into their grounds to watch their matches,
next season due to covid-19, how can they survive?

As fans will not buy season tickets.

If clubs are not allowed to let fans into their grounds to watch their matches,
next season due to covid-19, how can they survive?

As fans will not buy season tickets.

I suppose there's a chance that they could offer a tv deal, like happened for the last few games ............. but I'm not sure if that works with all L1 & 2 games. Possibly a single camera at each game? ......... £100 gets you to see home and away games?

The EFL will clearly need to do something, as otherwise, they'll have no L1 & L2 to watch over !

It appears the majority of the clubs in the division are in favour of this as they want to kneecap the likes of Sunderland with bigger budgets. But i feel it's very short sighted as this will kneecap everyone moving forward in the long term.

Surely a sensible solution would be a base wage cap (higher than 2.5m) that can be suplemented by a % of revenue and transfer money comig in?

Here's where a link to the Worriers could help.
They've had years of experience navigating around salary caps - Employing spouses and partners in club admin jobs on large salaries, rent free accommodation, funded cars etc etc etc - all alledgedly of course but sure they could add some real value here 😉🤣

Unfortunately the timing of our relegation from the prem on the eve of the mega bucks TV deal looks likely to be repeated relatively speaking by the unfortunate timing of our relegation to league 1 with this further drawbridge likely to be pulled up.
The EFL - killing hopes and dreams on a daily basis