Kyle Bennett | Page 2 | Vital Football

Kyle Bennett

Portsmouth are represented in the latest Football League team of the week that has been selected after this week's action.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?564287">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Pompey's Kyle Bennett is one of those out of contract at the end of the season. The former Doncaster winger wants a new deal, should he get one?

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?579613">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Yeah, he's always a threat and when he is on form like he is at the moment he is one of our best attacking options.

He went missing at times earlier in the season, but I feel that's because the opposition targeted him as they saw him as a threat. I think League One would suit him (if we made it), so I'd definitely be keen to offer him a new contract.

No, I agree mate and have always said I felt he was better suited to league one.

He's come good in league two at the right time so I'd deal him in now but NOT on a long-term deal, maybe a year with an option at most two with that option - not a straight up three year deal.

Pompey's former Bury and Doncaster winger Bennett has signed a new three year contract.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?581448">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Love him or hate him, Bennett is here to stay - new three year deal signed.

I'm glad he's staying, not sure I would have given him a three year contract though, two with the option of a third?

I don't think anyone hates Bennett, but he has certainly been frustrating in his time here. However, he is a really nice lad, popular in the dressing room, settled in the area with his family and he would have most certainly been of interest to other clubs on his form of the last 3 months (on the first 3 months I'd have been happy to see him go!). But seeing a happy, confident and settled player now, this is a real boost, for fans and players alike. Given the choice, Doyle or Bennett, I would pick Bennett, at 26, 3 years is a good length, his best years pretty much start now, just keep up the consistency Kyle!

I'd disagree about the 'hate' part, some around where I sit certainly dislike him at least. Fella next to me actually said, in the final game I think it was, and I quote, 'I'm sorry but I just can't like Bennett'.

Do agree that he seems a nice guy and well liked - convinced he'll fly in League One and IF he does that three year deal could be a blessing as it'll bump his price up, covering Pompey.

Consistency is the key though isn't it, like you say weller.

I'm really surprised at that Rug, I just can't see it, a little irrational. I always thought he came across as a good lad who was just playing (far) below his potential...

I think you said it, using the right word, 'frustrating'. Think that's Bennett summed up - then again unless you're a Ronaldo, Messi type, a forward/winger (call it what you will) will always have an up and down time wont they. Also, lets face it, if he was a world-beaten he wouldn't have been playing in League Two.

Still, like I say, always thought League One and higher would better suit him. Also reckon that Ipswich speculation perhaps got into his head a bit earlier in the season?

Yeah, you could be right about the speculation Rug, he certainly seems settled now and with it more consistent, long may it continue!

One thing that should also be considered when thinking of Bennett's upturn in form was that he recently became a father, which coincided with his scoring run. Maybe the lack of sleep and nappy changing is making him a better player!

Yes, Pompey continued the impressive goalscoring form the opening friendlies and yes the Blues won again but Kyle Bennett knows what's most important when it comes to pre-season.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583038">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

As said in a <a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=589620' target='blank'><b>front page article - click here</b></a>...

Was it a shock? Well, it was billed as such, but there had been mutterings Bennett would leave Fratton before the end of the window, which happened when he too was <a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/bennett-departs-blues/' target='blank'><b>released late in the day on Wednesday</b></a>.

Ok, perhaps the shock, alright then, surprise, was the decision to mutually part with Bennett, 27, given the fact he was still under a long-term contract. Most, I would imagine, would sooner have wanted Pompey to look towards recouping a fee, but if no one was willing to pay this then saving on the wages for a player who wouldn't have featured under Kenny Jackett make sense I guess.

Bennett hasn't delivered; he's been too inconsistent and is too lightweight. My personal opinion is less would be miffed by this if others had come in...buy for the sack of buying though? We've been there before; admittedly we are still light in the middle of the park!

I can't say I was Bennett's greatest advocate in footballing terms, all the talent but incredibly frustrating, so not the end of the world but a great bloke and I wish him all the success at Rovers. Disappointed immensely with our ambition, it seems we were more ambitious under the Trust in previous windows. Not a fan of bringing in countless loans, they may turn out great but it's not the stable environment I hoped for and although we ought to be safe I do have a worry about a moral sapping second half of the season. Hope rather than excited anticipation for me I'm afraid.

brilliant on his day but under Cooke (especially) and Jackett seemed to be the fall guy if things wren't going well, good luck to him but another of the lower league "stars" who move on before their contract is up.

It would appear as much as these loans are frustrating, I'm not a fan, most of these have been conducted with the potential of permanent deals at the end.

Back to Bennett, agree, making him the scapegoat was hardly fair, but he didn't offer up enough to warrant his continued involvement at Fratton. People moan about him being release, but releasing him and saving his wages, which wouldn't be cheap, would amount to a fee of sorts.