Kristan Dennis | Page 2 | Vital Football

Kristan Dennis

Counteh throwing even more money at it this season then, promotion or bust quite literally!

Same as the last 30 seasons, then.

Add:

** the formation of the new Notts County Women team (£500,000 running costs per year compared with £28,000 projected commercial income and gate money, which Hardy branded tantamount to financial suicide when he closed down the old Notts County Ladies 12 months ago);

** the cost of running notorious loss-makers Ilkeston (liquidated twice in seven years); and

** the cost of those £40,000 per month win bonuses (which back in December Hardy said were not sustainable);

and you have yet another financial enigma at Meadow Lane.

I wonder whether Hardy ever paid the outstanding tax bill for the defunct Notts County Ladies team? Hmmm.

Steve Thompson just told me on Twitter what a great job Mr Hardy is doing there, sorting out their finances out!
Did I read they're losing small fortune evey month? 90k I think it was?

Would you seriously not have taken Dennis? Great goal scorer, as he proved in a dismal team

Not for me mate. That side had one of the biggest budgets in the division and they had numerous chances to get themselves out of the malaise they were in and yet didn’t.

By contrast our team (and I appreciate it has its limitations) is built on a mongrel refuse to lose spirit. I wouldn’t want that infected with players who clearly have the hearts of weasels.

These lads sound too expensive. Was it Keith Alexander who said they only signed players in a similar wage bracket to keep squad harmony? Would expect Cowley’s to be similar.

Notts county are an accident waiting to happen

Signing lots of expensive players is going to end poorly

On that point, I remember during 1973 we signed two players from a Darlington side that finished bottom of the league and had finished 19th the season before.

Alan Harding and Peter Graham.

They both did OK.

Both terrific performers for us. PG was one of my favourite City players in my youth. Remember going to Crewe in around 1974 and we came from behind to win 3-2 pretty sure he scored a hat trick. Great player.

I'd not be surprised if we are playing Bostwick and Frecklington (and now Eardley) more than £3k per week. So careful before we start flinging mud. Our financial results being less glowing than anticipated suggests to me that we have a big budget for this level.

I have no inside information but it doesn't take a genius to work it out.

County have had a different shirt sponsor each month - perhaps they were all duped into paying the full amount rather than a tenth each, and that money is propping them up? :grinning:

I suspect reading in a comment in the Newport county programme about Matt green that we have significant bonus structure and a relatively modest wage structure.

That’s ok as it encourages fitness and winning

I suspect reading in a comment in the Newport county programme about Matt green that we have significant bonus structure and a relatively modest wage structure.

I think it's a good way to go, rewarding success and discouraging the idle players who sign on for their fat pay cheque and are happy to sit on the bench. Also encourages those out of the team to work harder in training to get back in.

These lads sound too expensive. Was it Keith Alexander who said they only signed players in a similar wage bracket to keep squad harmony? Would expect Cowley’s to be similar.
Danny has stated that previously! I expect thats getting harder to do though!

Without meaning to sound like a complete pessimist... I don’t ever recall Lincoln forking out for a proven goal scorer at the same level (whilst they were in the prime) and am unsure if we ever will. I have a feeling our front line will always be our Achilles heel, we just don’t appear to be an attractive club for strikers for some reason. Maybe it’s their ridiculous wage demands.

Without meaning to sound like a complete pessimist... I don’t ever recall Lincoln forking out for a proven goal scorer at the same level (whilst they were in the prime) and am unsure if we ever will. I have a feeling our front line will always be our Achilles heel, we just don’t appear to be an attractive club for strikers for some reason. Maybe it’s their ridiculous wage demands.

I think it's partly that and also that we are - and always have been in my memory - tagged as a "Physical, long-ball" team.

I wonder whether moving him out wide had an effect on green’s bonuses

I would argue that we have in the past. Jamie Forrester comes to mind who was 27/28 when he came to us. A few others spring to mind such as John Fashanu and Phil Stant. Andy Graver if you look even further back.

Obviously we wouldn't have been such an attractive option between 2011 and 2017 and Lincoln is still a little bit of a geographical outpost but I don't think you can relate this to pre the last few seasons.

I would argue that we have in the past. Jamie Forrester comes to mind who was 27/28 when he came to us. A few others spring to mind such as John Fashanu and Phil Stant. Andy Graver if you look even further back.

Obviously we wouldn't have been such an attractive option between 2011 and 2017 and Lincoln is still a little bit of a geographical outpost but I don't think you can relate this to pre the last few seasons.
Mmmmm not sure about those examples. Forrester (32) Stant (35) on their way down but still good strikers for our level. Fashanu was 21 and had only played about 8 league games before The Murph swooped and took a punt on him. Graver undoubtedly but that was a long time ago when we were an established second tier club. I'm really struggling to think of a striker in his prime for our level. I can only think of older players and promising youngsters; unless you count Joe Allon of course:eek:

The "buy back" of Graver (at age 27) was a bit of a special case ... effectively buying a man of proven ability at a big profit.