Korea | Vital Football

Korea

HeathfieldRoad1874

Miserable Sod
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

I know we all hope the recent peace talks produce something concrete, but we've been here before. Should we be sceptical, or is it different this time?

http://time.com/5259353/north-korean-kim-jong-un-denuclearization-long-shot/

According to South Korean officials, Kim said he would offer up his nukes in exchange for a non-aggression pact from Washington. But Trump’s hawkish new National Security advisor John Bolton was skeptical, telling CBS: “Well, we’ve heard this before … the North Korean propaganda playbook is an infinitely rich resource. What we want to see from them is evidence that it’s real and not just rhetoric.”

Lest we forget that North Korea already signed a denuclearization agreement with South Korea in 1992. And with the U.S. in 1994. And with the Six Party Talks participants in 2005. And with the Obama administration in 2012.

So 2018 is here and its time for Kim Jung Nub to sign it again.

I dont believe a word that comes out of his mouth, the man is a tool.

I can see where you are coming from, Col. Until something is signed and we see the progress in real time, I am still sceptical. The North Koreans are masters at playing this game.

Well, to be fair to Kim, he has at least made it to the table with South Korea. It's only normal to question his motives, but personally, I think North Korea are well within their rights to have nuclear weapons if they feel threatened enough by the US.

I hate nuclear weapons and think no one should have them, but it's utterly ridiculous for the likes of the UK and the US to have nukes and then turn round to others and say they shouldn't be allowed them.

And I've seen a few bits in the press about how Trump should be lauded for his role in bringing the Koreas to the negotiating table. If someone could tell me why, that would be great.

Did you know that the US killed 20% of the North Korean population in the Korean War? I only found out the other day, and it explains the absolute hatred and mistrust of the US. I can't see that changing overnight, can you?

No wonder they want Nukes.

This all seems a little beat 'Team America' to me.

Kim Jong Un playing all nicey nicey when he's trying to blow up the world, and America blowing everything else up trying to help.

Its here for real, Peace at last between the north & the south

Even Moon has praised Trump for his efforts to get it to this stage but all you people want to see is hatred & to hate

I actually think that within 5 years the north & south will have integrated like old Germany did at the end of the cold war

The North and South cannot integrate easily. For starters, it would nearly bankrupt the South. How does Kim explain to his people the sudden change in direction, when his whole ethos is control?

Did you know the North still think they inhabit the whole peninsula? How will they react when they find out their Country is half the size they thought it was?

I'd love this to be fruitful, but history tells us to be wary. John Bolton is talking about a Libya type solution, but that would strip Kim of his power, eventually, so I can't see that being possible.

I think cautious optimism is as far as we can go.

A lasting solution involves a peace treaty and North Korea joining the WTO. I assumed that Congress would have to approve any peace treaty but that's unlikely to happen. They can pull Trump's pants down with flattery but they won't get out of this situation so easily.

Nobody said it was going to be easy

It is far more likely now with the direction of recent events so I am hopeful

Did you know that the US killed 20% of the North Korean population in the Korean War? I only found out the other day, and it explains the absolute hatred and mistrust of the US. I can't see that changing overnight, can you?

No wonder they want Nukes.

That's an astonishing statistic. Do you have a reference off-hand?
And you're right, mistrust as regards the USA is totally understandable. It is perhaps a bit like the aftermath of the Irish Famine. That took place in the mid 19th century and it's only been within my own lifetime that anything like "normal"relationships between Britain and Ireland have taken place. (And there is still plenty of room for mistrust - the border and Brexit for example.)

I'm sceptical, but hopeful. Like everyone else, I'd be very happy if it came to fruition but only time will tell I suppose.

That's an astonishing statistic. Do you have a reference off-hand?
With pleasure. I've even found an appropriate source for you. :toot::toot:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...y-destroyed-north-korea-once-before-1.3227633

Air Force general Curtis LeMay, head of the strategic air command during the Korean War, estimated that the American campaign killed 20 per cent of the population. “We went over there and fought the war and eventually burned down every town in North Korea,” he said.

Its here for real, Peace at last between the north & the south

Even Moon has praised Trump for his efforts to get it to this stage but all you people want to see is hatred & to hate

I actually think that within 5 years the north & south will have integrated like old Germany did at the end of the cold war
Given relative military power and Trump doing naff all other than act like a keyboard warrior why would Moon say anything else even though he's the only one making an effort?

Keep praising the rapist Tubbz.

I don't like Bolton's rhetoric but he does have a point here. Little Rocket Rocket man is however his own man so we shouldn't judge on his predecessors.

Hope = small.

The proof is in the pudding. China will have a say and I guess it depends on who offers the best deal if Kimmy stands to his word.

Problem there is Trump's complete spunk fest over Iran and the Nuclear Deal where I doubt (his biggly understanding better than anyone) means he has read and understood the word Nuclear is 100% a doubt on that happening - just as Kimmy is 100% a doubt on follow through.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-...g-border-demilitarized-zone-1.4642417?cmp=rss

Who deserves credit for the peace talks is already a complicated matter for Torbjorn Knutsen, an expert on the Nobel Institute at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.

"I am sure somebody will nominate Trump," he said from Trondheim, Norway. "I don't know what to say. It's not the most obvious of peace workers. I would assumed that if he was indeed nominated, he doesn't really have any capital as a man who has engaged in working on the cause of peace."

Another possibility, Knutsen said, is that the leaders of the two Koreas might share a Peace Prize — leaving Trump out of it.

I don't know if there is too much peace in the world but didn't you used to have to achieve something to win the peace prize? Obama got his for getting elected and they are talking about giving one to Trump for talking about peace in Korea.