Knob end (home) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Knob end (home)

3-0 home win with hopefully an early goal.
Due to their injury situation and not as much pressure on our lads especially if Millwall lose to Villa before we kick off.
Nick Powell to start and score.

Just finishing my pre match pint now. Fingers crossed we can do it today and secure our safety with 3 points.

Complete joke btw about Kipre red card appeal being rejected. Hopefully Fox and Dunkley can deliver a good display for us and keep a clean sheet.

Fingers crossed Birmingham can do us a favour too today and either defeat or draw with Rotherham.

Up the Tics!

GOALLLLL!!!! CLARKE!!!

Massive defending gaffe by PNE as a Robinson cross gets miscleared and ends up at Naismith's feet right in front of goal to the left. He plays the ball right to Clarke for the easiest of tap-ins.

PNE down to 10 after a dangerous high kick/challenge on Naismith. Luckily Kai is okay. Time to put them away for good now. We've played really well up to this point.

1-0 HT

Didnt finish too strongly once they went down a man but otherwise a very encouraging 45 min of play from us.

Well done Tics. Safe with two spare. Why put us in all that agony for 5 months?
Jesus H but that's it now, it's The Championship next season again.

Are you telling me we are staying in the same division for more than 1 season? Great stuff, it was huge for us to stay up this season, now an interesting summer awaits to see how ambitious these new owners are.

Far from our best but got the job done. Gifted the first goal and we’re pretty much under pressure from the moment they had their man sent off up until the second goal. After that we saw the game out professionally. Well done all, now to give the best kids we have some minutes in the last two games and enjoy watching James and Powell before they leave. Despite getting the assist, Powell played like someone who knows he’s on his way unfortunately.

Dunkley/Fox probably the best two players in the pitch, thought they both defended really well under pressure and bailed out our central midfield.

Feels weird not having anything to worry about going forward!

Well for a team that's put us through the mill for majority of the season....what a welcome relief walking away from the ground today after officially being safe. Thot today would be a real struggle after the heroic performances of the last few games n that that lads would be jaded. Far from it, for the first 15/20 min it was a good arm wrestle with Nob End trying to play it out from the back & us trying to stifle their style of play. I thought I was watching our 1st goal in ultra slow motion as it seemed to take an eternity to hit the back of the net. The sending off was the correct decision but I thot the ref would try to even it up later on. Up until the 2nd goal went in it seemed like it was constant pressure from them with us sitting back but once we got that vital 2nd goal we seemed to go into 'ole' mode. Atmosphere n noise was great from the off but more so in the second half once that 2nd goal went in. Would be nice to sign the season off unbeaten alongside sending Millwall down in last game of the season.....UTFT.

Life is a little easier now. I thought for a long time it could/would go down to the last game of the season against Millwall, but I am not sorry it wont.
Now that we are safe many might not go to the Millwall game, with all the bad press about the expected trouble.

Well that was relatively stress free! 20 minute lull after half time but rest of time as comfortable as you like! We were actually in a low gear for the last twenty and could have scored again if the need arose!
Now to sit back for the summer to recharge the batteries and off we go again! Roll on August and Have a great summer everyone!!!

Scapegoat' s all had good games.
Clarke put a shift in, enough to earn a contract?
Morsy was fired up and should have scored as well as Massey. Despite second half pressure they didnt look like scoring.
James MOTM for me again.

The manager post match

Antonee Robinson having another decent match at left back.
Lee Evans is also doing really well in the Nick Powell spot.
Kal Naismith also repeating his recent sterling performances.

Leeds losing 2-0 to Brentford capping off a lovely footballing Bank Holiday weekend. B a C k O f T h E n E t

Only two matches left to appreciate Reece James .... Please Chelsea do not ruin this lad !!! No being stuck on the Chelsea loan whatsapp group for years

Last edited:
Comfortable game really, though didn't necessarily feel like it at times given what was at stake for us. I must say Evans strike was a most welcome tension reliever.

Once again the players put a shift in, even the maligned Clarke who I rose to applaud off. Seems to have undergone a transformation these last 3 games, whomever is responsible for firing him up and getting him to put in a shift well done. Also thought Massey looked dangerous in the first half and has earnt a new deal - something I didn't think I'd say this time last year. Have a feeling he'll be off however.

Thought Fox was very good when he had to be, will be a good asset next year if we can keep him fit. Desperatly needed someone like him in defence. Oh and Naismith- left back he ain't but has done well these last two home fixtures, so credit where it's due. Not much else to say about James that hasn't already been said, but Christ this team will miss this lad once he's gone.

A good day all round, congratulations to the players and management team for getting the job done as we looked down and out after that Hull game. Vital we stayed up and we have.

Christian Walton post match

Lee Evans post match - some quite candid comments in this piece.
Has he found his true niche ?

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...ams/wigan-athletic/11700849/wigan-2-0-preston
Very pleased for Christian. He could have collapsed after his horror show at Hull, but he’s come back with three top performances. It meant a lot to him at FT based on those celebrations. Said it before and I’ll say it again, he will be a lot harder to replace than people think.

Good management from Cook as well to stick with him after Hull, could easily have dropped him again for Jones as many fans demanded. A decision very much justified!

Finally a starting lineup that can press the ball whilst looking solid. Every time we change system we look under pressure and allow them the freedom to play. When Massey came off, we struggled to apply any pressure against a ten men.(Without Evans further up the pitch, we don't have an effective press)

Past three starting lineups have been almost perfect, fair play to Cook for that. We've played much better, still some questionable decision making. But today it doesn't matter because Preston were awful in the final third.

Looking forward to next season, think we'll do better without Powell, he's like a statue in midfield without the ball. Carrying a luxury player defensively, at this level is a difficult task for any team. Look at the best teams and none of them have one. Villa are the highest placed team with a similar player(Grealish who's very consistent with the ball). Same with Windass, both happy to move whilst we have the ball, but do nothing to help the team without it.

Excellent awareness from Naismith for the goal.

Would like to Robinson on loan again next season if possible, really good form the past few games.

Clarke's earned himself a contract over the past 3 games, credit to him. He's produced quality performances, has helped the team with and without the ball.

Walton's was excellent against Leeds and was solid today.(Apart from his kicking).

Dunkley was awful against Leeds, not sure how he stayed in the team today. Lost Bamford twice for their penalty and again for their goal. He was solid today.

James outstanding. Close to a perfect game, was flawless. Goal or an assist and it would of been a perfect game from him.

Evans, excellent whilst playing attacking midfield. Not great playing on the right of the midfield. Doesn't suit his ability at all, luckily he scored when he did because the system wasn't working. Preston gave up after that.