Knighthoods | Vital Football

Knighthoods

charlz54

Vital Squad Member
Great to see Kenny Dalgleish get a knighthood, especially for the way he conducted himself after the Hilsborough tragedy BUT when is Dave Whelan going to get honoured? No matter what your opinion of DW his contribution to sport,youth zones ,Wigan and the local economy in this area has been immense.......an honour for DW is LONG overdue. What’s going on?

Knighthood are giving out far too easily that they lose their credibility.
Dalglish deserves his, not sure about DW though.

Knighthood are giving out far too easily that they lose their credibility.
Dalglish deserves his, not sure about DW though.

Sorry got to disagree Dave Whelan definitely deserves a knighthood as Charles has outlined

Sorry got to disagree Dave Whelan definitely deserves a knighthood as Charles has outlined

There are lots of people at various clubs who have put in hard graft over many years in unsung roles from selling bovril to sweeping the terraces for me these people are just as deserving as your celebrity persons. Dalglish is well deserving of his honour a man of class & humbleness, as for whelan I think his comments regarding certain people a couple of years ago have rightly so scuppered any chance of a gong !

maybe if he had donated larger sums to his beloved tory friends he would have recieved one
Why is that what Kenny did?
Come on Whelan deserves one for what he did for this football club and also for business. Maybe if his face fit with the trendy left that would have done it for him.
Jesus Christ, Lyndsey bloody Hoyle was knighted at Christmas for simply being lucky enough to have his parliamentary constituency borders changed. Don't think Hoyle donated large sums of money to the Tories do you?.

Considering who have had knighthoods in the past, who would not have been looked at twice only they had the right establishment friends, then DW rightly deserves one for what he as done for this town. Well done to Kenny who did not claim the honour for himself, but other people and organisations who supported the work he did. A team player to the end is Kenny.

Come on jeff kenny deserved what he got ._..Whelan ok lets think about this does he deserve a knight hood because most on here latics fans like myself think of what he did for the football club ?
Because you need to speak to people who think otherwise that worked for him the many who lost their jobs because he bought them out and went bust
Pools pies rathbones come to mind now i dont hate whelan but more in the town of wigan do than think he deserves a knight hood like us latics fans do

Whelan as done pretty well out of owning Wigan ath & us fans have done pretty well for this, as for whelan being knighted, bollocks to that !

The guy running network rail has received a gong along with getting a salary six times that of the pm. Whelan has done loads for Wigan and young people and in my opinion deserves a knighthood far more than some who have received them.

Great to see Kenny Dalgleish get a knighthood, especially for the way he conducted himself after the Hilsborough tragedy BUT when is Dave Whelan going to get honoured? No matter what your opinion of DW his contribution to sport,youth zones ,Wigan and the local economy in this area has been immense.......an honour for DW is LONG overdue. What’s going on?

Why does it matter? Knighthood won't get us to the premier league. Wigan fans and the people of wigan appreciate him and that is all what matters.

Could it be that Dave Whelans view on Jews and Chinese be part of the reason why an honour of any description has not been offered?

I am not saying he deserves or doesnt deserve one.

Or he may have turned them down when offered, after all he is relcutant to put him self in the spot light.

Statue aside as well as naming a stadium with his own initials, setting a company up in his own name ( I know he didn't commission the statue but he agreed to it)

Ofcourse he deserves a knighthood....not for his football career or his business ventures but for his efforts toward the youth of the town. Wasn't it only this week that it was reported in the local rag that the instances of youth crime is down 77% in the town centre around the zone since it opened.

The man is more deserving than Kenny who to my best knowledge hasn't funded any youth facilities anytime. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve what he has been awarded just that DW does also.

dont think dw was the only man involved with the youth zone im sure ainscow was involved with it financially as well
but with crime down in the town center id put that down to cctv more than anything
but he did break his leg once you know maybe he should get a knighthood for that

Give it a break brickyard mon. We are talking about a man here and what he has achieved for Wigan during his lifetime. To me,he has achieved far more worthwhile things than some of the recipients of these gongs.....it IS time he was recognised.

dont think dw was the only man involved with the youth zone im sure ainscow was involved with it financially as well
but with crime down in the town center id put that down to cctv more than anything
but he did break his leg once you know maybe he should get a knighthood for that

Maybe you would prefer it if he broke both his fucking legs right now and perhaps died as well eh ?...would that quench your thirst for vitriol ?

You sound like a warriors fan with this shit.

Ofcourse he deserves a knighthood....not for his football career or his business ventures but for his efforts toward the youth of the town. Wasn't it only this week that it was reported in the local rag that the instances of youth crime is down 77% in the town centre around the zone since it opened.

The man is more deserving than Kenny who to my best knowledge hasn't funded any youth facilities anytime. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve what he has been awarded just that DW does also.

He built the youth zone jointly with one of the ainscoughs for around a million if I remember, the running costs of the youth zone are over half a million a year which you & I pay for with our taxes I wouldn’t mind a knighthood as well for my contributions to this !

Some Wiganers are really bitter people. A lot of "R Keith worked for him at JJB and said he's a bastud" going on.
Successful self made millionaire, worth around £250 million at age of 81. Has provided half the town with employment, and done far more than anyone else ever will for the place. Yet because he didn't go round paying £10ph to his warehouse staff, and going bust in the process, hes deemed a 'bastud.'

Wiganers.....