Knackered ! | Vital Football

Knackered !

Spursex

Alert Team
Matt Hughes doesn't make stories up, he's a quality sports journalist - so if the players are leaking this to him, you can be sure it's for real...

As I said, the backwash of so much football is the mental and physical fatigue it creates.

It's why we desperately needed fresh high grade legs.

The 'kids' now will have to be thrown in or we'll just keep seeing us play well for periods in a game and then losing concentration - which is what we did against inter and these are atypical fatigue signs....

The second thing to look for is players picking up niggling injuries..

So will Poch chuck them in or will we run the legs off who we've got left ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/were-tired-say-tottenham-players-k59883tmz

We’re tired, say Tottenham players
Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent
September 20 2018, 12:01am, The Times

Spurs lost 2-1 away at Inter in the Champions League on TuesdayALAMY

Several Tottenham Hotspur players claim that the team’s slump is down to exhaustion and mental fatigue and believe they should be given more days off.

Tottenham suffered a third successive defeat for the first time under Mauricio Pochettino when they lost 2-1 away at Inter Milan in the Champions League on Tuesday but the players were made to sleep at the training ground afterwards.

They stayed at the new Lodge hotel at the club’s Enfield base for the first time after returning from Milan at midnight, before training yesterday in preparation for Saturday’s Premier League game against Brighton & Hove Albion. The players have no issue with spending the night at the Lodge, which was built in the summer and used for rest periods between double training sessions during pre-season, but it has added to the feeling of some in the dressing room that they are being worked too hard, particularly given that many of them were heavily involved at the World Cup.

The impact of Pochettino’s training regime has been exacerbated by the after-effects of the tournament in Russia, which included 12 Tottenham players — third only to Manchester City and Chelsea in terms of Premier League representation — eight of whom reached the semi-finals.

Tottenham insist that the manager’s training schedule has not changed during his four years at the club, although that is part of some of the players’ grievance as complaints about a lack of time off are longstanding.

Now its all about how Pochettino handles the obvious problems he has. He can't buy his way out. So will he acknowledge the WC has taken a massive toll and the window lack of activity made it worse. He talked big about bravery so let's see him be brave enough to admit his errors.

Poch has to be ultra-positive in the coming days and weeks. Looking backwards about penalties not given, losing men from corners, perceived fatigue etc is not going to correct the on field results. That will make it worse.

The best example is Rose and Toby. World Cup hangover and contract disputes OR barely kicked a ball in 2018 and buzzing to be back in the thick of it? I know where I would focus if I were Poch.

Let's hope we win 5 in a row on the bounce. The feeding frenzy is distracting.

Hope springs eternal otherwise we wouldn’t still be supporting Spurs after so many years of false dawns....but hope improves nothing...solid hard work on the training ground, fresh ideas to practice, sensible rest and rotation, inclusion of our young guns and better tactics may improve things...continuing with the same approach is madness.

Winks has said it's football and we have to find a way through it. Articulate lad, already been captain at youth levels. Hope he finds his form and fitness soon.

We did have more players involved in the latter stages of the WC than any other club plus the stupid inter nations cup soon after. Poch has to get the right balance.

Alli will have rested, Tripps and Toby it seems are identified as needing rest. Vert and Dier will need some , Eriksen , Son and Kane it's a matter of when and how much rest. I would start easing Amos into the side if possible through sub appearances to start with, possibly when Dembele or Winks start to flag. KWP has to get more time this season too.

Let's hope we win 5 in a row on the bounce. The feeding frenzy is distracting.

Everything about the club is so negative, like you said we need a winning run to stop the talk.

We are lucky we have 3 PL games where we should get maximum points and 2 relatively easy fixtures in huddersfield and cardiff before we hit a hard patch.

Anything less than 9 points from the next 3 games would be a disaster.

It always makes me laugh when everything starts going wrong, all the excuses come out. " We are tired, we don't have the money, all the other clubs in the world have it easier". When things are going well, " we are not tired, we didn't need to sign anyone".

Shut the hell up and just do your jobs. Bottle job losers.

It always makes me laugh when everything starts going wrong, all the excuses come out. " We are tired, we don't have the money, all the other clubs in the world have it easier". When things are going well, " we are not tired, we didn't need to sign anyone".

Shut the hell up and just do your jobs. Bottle job losers.

LEGIT!!!! Spot on RD.

Winks has said it's football and we have to find a way through it. Articulate lad, already been captain at youth levels. Hope he finds his form and fitness soon.

We did have more players involved in the latter stages of the WC than any other club plus the stupid inter nations cup soon after. Poch has to get the right balance.

Alli will have rested, Tripps and Toby it seems are identified as needing rest. Vert and Dier will need some , Eriksen , Son and Kane it's a matter of when and how much rest. I would start easing Amos into the side if possible through sub appearances to start with, possibly when Dembele or Winks start to flag. KWP has to get more time this season too.

I am seeing Wanyama & Winks as our best option very soon (fitness) am I off the mark?

From what I saw of Amos in pre-season he is already ahead of Winks...so has he suddenly lost form....he reads the game well and he can tackle properly unlike the current MF incumbents.