Killer whales. | Vital Football

Killer whales.

G

Just watching another documentary, this time on Killer whales. Awesome aint it?

They kill most anything yet humans...But why?

Observation has shown that one answer may not be far from the ancient legend. Killer whales seem to follow rules that go beyond basic instinct and border on culture. Individual pods forage, communicate and navigate differently, much the way different cultures of people do. Researchers have witnessed “greeting ceremonies” between pods. They’ve even seen the equivalent of a funeral. It may very well be that within “orca culture” there is a social norm not to go after people.

A more scientific explanation might be that we’re simply not tasty enough to be included on the killer whales’ menu. Orcas, it turns out, have picky palates. The Southern Resident Killer Whales of Puget Sound dine on only the fattest Chinook salmon, even if it means allowing an entire school of skinnier salmon to swim by. Transient orcas, which have a broader diet, have shown similar selective behavior, in one case killing a gray whale but eating only its tongue.

A third possible reason is that we don’t resemble any food source killer whales typically depend on. There have reportedly been incidents where an orca attempted to hunt a human, but broke off the hunt immediately upon realizing it wasn’t a sea lion.

Okay, so we’ve established that killer whales are pretty darned smart — they have a culture with specific behaviors, a picky diet, and they know that we don’t taste very good. Still, humans pump toxins into their water, we bombard them with noise, and sometimes we kidnap their babies and put them in aquariums. Orcas have a pretty good reason to hate us, perhaps even enough to want to extract revenge, yet they don’t. The answer here might be friendship. There are many cases where nomadic killer whales have gravitated to humans, bonding with them and playing games. Trainers at places like Sea World say very little goes into orca training. The whales seem to understand people, and are eager to cooperate and create bonds.

In fact, the only apparent instances of orcas attacking people have happened at aquatic parks, where the whales have killed trainers. Many experts think these attacks are not malicious, rather a case of play getting out of hand. Howard Garrett of the Orca Network disagrees. He argues the attacks are deliberate, though not in cold blood. Cut off from their pods, confined in small concrete tanks, and hand fed instead of being allowed to hunt, Garrett thinks the pressures build causing the orcas to occasionally lash out.

Whether that’s the case or not, it’s clear that in the wild, orcas seem to have a pretty universal rule: don’t attack humans. The reason would appear to be both biological and cultural. Killer whales have been around about 11 million years. Compared to them, we are a relatively new species on the planet. Physically we’re no match for this apex predator, but they’ve apparently deemed us worthy of coexistence. We owe them the same.

http://science.kqed.org/quest/2011/07/20/why-killer-whales-don%E2%80%99t-eat-people-where-science-and-legend-meet/

Didn't know Killer whales were dolphins wow, i always think they look evil and scary maybe its the colour dunno tbh,

I watched a documentary that suggested if earth was contacted by extraterrestrials whales and dolphins would be the ones they communicate with as there language is far more sophisticated than ours, and more interlectual, also NASA claimed Whales are far more intelligent than we realise after studies and may know far more than we do about earth and knowledge so have been trying to communicate with them for many years, crazy isn't it Whales seem to be cleverer than us and know more amazing.

I'd like to see a pod of seals, dolphins or even whales attacking one of the nasty bastards and give it a dose of it's own medicine :15:

ClivetheVillan - 25/10/2013 23:12

I watched a documentary that suggested if earth was contacted by extraterrestrials whales and dolphins would be the ones they communicate with as there language is far more sophisticated than ours, and more interlectual, also NASA claimed Whales are far more intelligent than we realise after studies and may know far more than we do about earth and knowledge so have been trying to communicate with them for many years, crazy isn't it Whales seem to be cleverer than us and know more amazing.

Don't be daft, that was Star Trek -The Voyage Home :33:

Villan Of The North - 26/10/2013 08:59

LLAP.

Trekker - 26/10/2013 09:40

Villan Of The North - 26/10/2013 08:59

LLAP.
Oh Star Trek ain't real? Damn it :19:

Wurzel - 27/10/2013 23:36

Dolphins are perverts.

LOL this is true, many women send Dolphins crazy and they do try and hump em, also the females see women as a threat to there meale dolphins and get jelous and try and attack some women thats why there has been noted attacks on women in Florida etc, the dirty feckers :19:

These dolphins are beautiful and won't harm you Clive :56:

Attachments

• dolphins.jpg
    dolphins.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
Green Tea - 25/10/2013 21:49

In fact, the only apparent instances of orcas attacking people have happened at aquatic parks, where the whales have killed trainers. Many experts think these attacks are not malicious, rather a case of play getting out of hand. Howard Garrett of the Orca Network disagrees. He argues the attacks are deliberate, though not in cold blood. Cut off from their pods, confined in small concrete tanks, and hand fed instead of being allowed to hunt, Garrett thinks the pressures build causing the orcas to occasionally lash out.

Many would disagree but Im of the belief they are incredibly intelligent... Just because we cant measure it with tests and they cant manipulate their environment people dismiss it...

I posted up that Dolphin cove in Japan here before and Iv seen it elsewhere where people justify it because we simply dont understand them... Its savagely inhumane what we do to most animals but I believe it is even worse that we do it to animals that have a history of helping us and seeking help from us...

There is also a documentary on the Orcas of sea world and how they killed people... Its a good watch and another thing that might change minds about zoo's and marine habitats...

[youtube=8OEjYquyjcg]

And ducks Deano, and ducks. I witnessed the shocking events in Stratford upon Avon once!

Amazing clip CDX. It is a total disgrace what we do to animals, I'd be quite happy for the human race to be wiped out and for the rest of the animal kingdom to carry on !

The Fear - 28/10/2013 08:55

I'd be quite happy for the human race to be wiped out and for the rest of the animal kingdom to carry on !

Now there's a bit of positivity for a wet Monday Morning. Nothing like a bit of genocidal nihilism to make everyone feel dandy.

:14:

Cheered me up no end Grizzly, at least it isn't just the Villa squad I want wiped now!

It was a good programme and supported the theory that it is meat-eating predators which evolve to form co-operative social groups and individual altruism.

This supports the evidence provided by vegetarians, who are always uncooperative pains in the arse on all social occasions.