Kevin MacDonald | Page 2 | Vital Football

Kevin MacDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there’s a very real difference between toughening up and what I’m reading and have read about KM. KM is bullying, it’s degrading and ultimately takes most people down.

Having a peer on a youth pitch call your mum a sl*g or saying they’ve sh*gged your sister is very different, you get used to that is almost becomes banter.

As for Farrellys earlier comments, it looks to me like he hasn’t fully come to terms with it although he is insinuating an unorthodox approach. The other problem for him in 2000 is that industries are sometimes incestuous and speaking up about a former colleague may make current colleagues uneasy.

This story is a real sign of the problems of money in football. Kids and parents are probably too scared to speak up for the fact the prize of winning the lottery several times is on offer if the kid makes it and speaking up can only do a career harm. The last thing a club wants is a kid speaking up about bullying and damaging their reputation, completely wrong but that’s money.

Last edited:
Interesting reply from Gabby...

Attachments

• D80D080A-0266-4068-A918-AF1C2401E076.jpeg
    D80D080A-0266-4068-A918-AF1C2401E076.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
He should’ve been booted after Sherwood went and he came in as caretaker and fielded the worst 11 possible against Spurs to ‘prove a point’ to the board. Utterly disgraceful when you’re being paid to win a game.

I don’t know enough about his behaviour as a coach, will say I’ve never warmed to him though. Also, for all the ‘great’ youth squads, did he ever produce a single top class player in his time here? Barry is closest but we poached him at 15. Cahill? Potentially Grealish?

There is a world of difference between motivating someone and bullying them. Some kids need an arm around the shoulder and others need a kick in the arse (metaphorically), if you can't tell the difference, you have no business working with kids.

You should always start with the arm around the shoulder. Generally, it's a much better technique.

Also, as a teacher/coach/parent, you should criticise the behaviour, not the person. Eg; 'You aren't pulling your weight, Farrelly. Pick up the pace.' instead of 'You are a lazy ****, Farrelly'. You then need to praise the kid when they do pick up the pace.

It sounds like McDonald only ever kicked players in the arse.

You would have to wonder, if the allegations are true, how he was able to keep his job for so long. MON has a reputation for not being interested in kids but surely some of the others were? Did nobody see what McDonald was doing?

Not defending MacDonald but I wouldn't be surprised if this kind thing is systemic in football in general and this case opens the flood gates at clubs across the country as more failed youth players start to blame their coaches rather than accepting responsibility for their failures.

I'd imagine a certain amount of toughening up goes on at every club, to ensure these kids don't become primadonna's (how many times have we all moaned about that!).

Not saying Macdonald hasn't taken that a bit too far... sounds like he has, but then I'm sure you'll see that most of the kids that 'made it' such as Gabby will appreciate his methods, where as those who failed (and probably weren't good enough anyway) will like having someone to blame.

It's a fine line between take a hard line approach and bullying. I bet there could be a case made to say that Alex Ferguson was the biggest bully in football at Man United.

It's a hard one for sure.

Not boasting but when I was on the staff at Warwickshire in the 80's some of the stuff that I experienced and witnessed would be definately classed as bullying by todays standards and most likely be calssed as bullying back then.

I remember pre season training when we had to finish with a lap of the ground under a certain time and one of the coaches running behind me actually kicking me to make me run faster and other such stuff. Would he get away with that now , not a chance , but in the 80's it was accepted as the norm and it went on all over with sport. Some of the stuff I read about Ron Saunders would probably get him locked up nowadays.

Not saying it was right either but like a lot of things it's a sign of vastly different times.

No smoke without fire is there. Too many allegations for this to be swept away.

I would have strong words with him if he treated my son like that.

If any of you have ever seen the behind the scenes programmes about the coaching and handling of the dreaded 'cut' in American Football, its quite clear that the behaviour of dinosaur bully boys like KMac is so far behind the times in terms of professionalism and results.

Love to see him try to pull that shit with a 6' 5" 280 pound Defensive Tackle!!!

Agree with Fear, the bloke is a **** and has no place at Aston Villa.

Not really fair on us all to be throwing accusations at him when we dont really know how far it went. There are quite a few of our ex youth players who will speak up in favour of him as well.
I do wonder if this could potentially lead to ex-youth players who havent made the cut, trying to sue clubs for loss of potential earnings if they can blame their failure on the treatment from coaches.

Always seemed such a nice man from the outside (on TV etc.), surprising that he's that vicious with the youngsters. Then again, as Gabby has shown, some of the players like him and will defend him.

I get that you have to be tough with young players but there are limits. From reading what Farelly said, KMac went way over the line. I don't see the benefit of going into training as a youngster and being insulted all day.

We are all judging this from Farrely's side of the story. We all know that stories can be exaggerated or even made up if it suits a personal agenda. The press will also have an agenda when reporting the story.

That said there are now a number of different reports. I imagine, if he didn't like someone, they got singled out, which is human nature. Not defending the guy, but I am not judging him either - I don't think it is our place to do so either, unless we have personal knowledge of the individual.

Mark Delaney seems the up and coming, more progressive type of youth coach that we require. This is an opportunity so I am on no-one's side accept the progression of AVFC.

Dunno why we’ve kept him for so long anyways. Whenever he takes over as caretaker he’s fucking useless and guarantees a defeat. Just get rid of the vile cretin.

This wasn't really unexpected news. We have been there before but he always seems to bounce back. Of course several players love him as under his guidance they have become multi millionaires, but I bet for every one of them there are dozens with bad stories to tell.
The truth needs to be known and if it's bad then he needs booting out of the game, if there's no case to answer then his career shouldn't be affected.
He's not my cup of tea but I don't have to work with him. To me he comes across as a very arrogant man.

He should have been sacked and never allowed to return after that atrocity of a team he put out vs spurs after Sherwood got sacked. The sheer arrogance of the man basically throwing a game just to spite the incoming manager still makes my blood boil.

We looked like a bunch of clowns keeping him on after the last batch of allegations came out. Get rid of him ASAP.

Bullying is hugely destructive, particularly with youngsters. Trouble is quite often the bully gets respect from his victims, maybe as a way of dealing with it. I changed schools in my teens from a North Wales comprehensive (good) to a Gloucestershire grammar school (poor). The English master was an out and out bully; at the start of each lesson he pick on one particular boy with "you boy, what's your name" and when he anwered he'd say "and where are you from", and so it would continue. He retired at the end of that first term. Yet the boys were almost in tears... "great character" etc. I said the sod's a lousy bully. The games master was another; on the playing fields he went around whacking people with a little oak bat he carried. Our year rebelled; gym was offered as an option to those of us that did. Neither was liked by the other staff members.

What did he actually do? Can anyone provide examples of his "bullying"? I think a lot of players who fail to make the grade would happily blame a coach. Gabby who did make the grade seems to think he's alright.

What did he actually do? Can anyone provide examples of his "bullying"? I think a lot of players who fail to make the grade would happily blame a coach. Gabby who did make the grade seems to think he's alright.

One poisonous cretin backing up another poisonous cretin, I don't want to hear what Flabby ever has to say, he is irrelevant and if you want to be picky can you honestly say Flabby made it? I don't think so, so Kmac failed, a few years down the line I'm guessing he will declare bankruptcy because he certainly doesn't have a brain and he's not intelligent enough to seek the correct advice if he is to invest.

Status
Not open for further replies.