Keown; Jose's time's been and gone... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Keown; Jose's time's been and gone...

Ripping into their display at Stamford Bridge as they lost their second game in a matter of days, Sherwood told Premier League Productions: “Tottenham were absolutely disgusting.

“They were so bad. The negative approach. Yes they have injuries to Son and to Kane, Mourinho keeps reminding us of that.

“But they’ve got [Steven] Bergwijn there who can run in behind, they’ve got [Lucas] Moura who has pace. If they’ve got anything they’ve got pace. They both got 15 goals last season which is not the end of the world.

“You have to find a different way. As a coach sometimes you can’t say ‘oh we don’t have a striker’ and throw the towel in.

“If you said to Jose beforehand: ‘Would you take a 0-0?’ he would have taken your arms off. It’s not about that, it’s a London derby! It’s for all of those fans, you need to show more of an attacking intent.”

lol - yet another one of life's "post football career" failures having a pop. They're all coming out of the woodwork this week.

I'd have happily taken a 0-0 draw away at the Bridge with our current scenario.

Ripping into their display at Stamford Bridge as they lost their second game in a matter of days, Sherwood told Premier League Productions: “Tottenham were absolutely disgusting.

“They were so bad. The negative approach. Yes they have injuries to Son and to Kane, Mourinho keeps reminding us of that.

“But they’ve got [Steven] Bergwijn there who can run in behind, they’ve got [Lucas] Moura who has pace. If they’ve got anything they’ve got pace. They both got 15 goals last season which is not the end of the world.

“You have to find a different way. As a coach sometimes you can’t say ‘oh we don’t have a striker’ and throw the towel in.

“If you said to Jose beforehand: ‘Would you take a 0-0?’ he would have taken your arms off. It’s not about that, it’s a London derby! It’s for all of those fans, you need to show more of an attacking intent.”
Tim Sherwood in his Premier League Productions TV appearances, has always remained very pro Spurs, whereby I'm more inclined to listen to his viewpoints ahead of former Arsenal and Liverpool players. The theme with pundits and fans alike is consistent howeve. The injury situation is acknowledged, but few consider it as a reason for playing totally negative football, nor to show any willingness to show some innovation to deal with the situation.

I would have taken 0-0 . Tim is talking shite and generalizing

Last edited:
lol - yet another one of life's "post football career" failures having a pop. They're all coming out of the woodwork this week.

I'd have happily taken a 0-0 draw away at the Bridge with our current scenario.

The shock of another surrender like that I can tell you has got all the ex-Spurs legends and pro's in a right state, almost none I have spoke to are sympathetic to Jose's handling of the situation, all seem to acknowledge the difficulties but to a man none (so far) believe he's dealing with it the right way.

Some believe if he continues like this, he'll be sacked any day now.

Last edited:
As I hoped would not be the case and as I too have now heard, it seems the word is out the player's heads have dropped as Jose virtually condemn them all as not good enough to be positive/play positive football...and as they surrender before they even cross the white line.

Play like that against Wolves and he has to go, play well and be positive against Wolves and you have to wonder wtf he was trying to prove and to who?

Tottenham Hotspur: Spurs fans react to Jose Mourinho rumours

Spurs fans were less than happy to hear the rumours emerging from the Tottenham camp this week.

According to The Sun (via Talking THFC), some of the senior players are quickly losing faith in the Portuguese manager and believe that the team has regressed under his management.
The report suggests that some senior players believe that the club is now heading backwards from where they were under the innovative and ‘popular’ Mauricio Pochettino.
Mourinho took charge of Spurs in November of last year with the North London club languishing in 14th place and quickly pushed them back into top-four contention, but a dreadful start to 2020 has left his side currently occupying eighth position in the Premier League.
The former Manchester United and Chelsea man is struggling to implement his tactics and is perhaps missing some key players, but it seems as if some of the senior players at the club are already feeling that his appointment was a mistake.

let the agenda begin:

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/01/bl...ur-spurs-fans-react-to-jose-mourinho-rumours/

Last edited:
Storey said: “I have sympathy for him, but he’s got to make it work. And he can’t just project this image to the rest of the team that ‘ah well, you know, we’ve got no strikers so let’s just call it quits on this season and look forward to next season.’

“The thing is, it feels like it, it feels like that’s what he’s doing right now. And you can’t be, you can’t do that, it’s only February.”

The shock of another surrender like that I can tell you has got all the ex-Spurs legends and pro's in a right state, almost none I have spoke to are sympathetic to Jose's handling of the situation, all seem to acknowledge the difficulties but to a man none (so far) believe he's dealing with the right way.

Some believe if he continues like this, he'll be sacked any day now.

Unfortunately, that probably makes those over-entitled ex Spurs legends part of the problem as well. The same set of guys that got used to mediocrity and winning very little for decades but it was OK because we played great football. They talk, people listen. I listen with a filter knowing Jose has the trophies, not most of them.

I'm still hoping there is method in Jose's madness. He's clearly working very hard, with the tracksuit permanently on, and taking his players through a series of tactical setups. He's learning about their adaptability to change and has the documented injuries. It probably means as much that the strategy he had in his head didn't play out on Sunday.

An example would be that we all know how susceptible Alonso can be defensively, yet Japhet didn't push him back at all. Ditto with Davies who had the tougher side with Reece James, but still failed to push into their half. That made Jose looks like he was paying with 5 out and out defenders whereas it was Japhet and Davies mis-execution the bigger factor.

The irony is that if Jose had picked Dele, Gedson and Aurier instead of Jan, Ndombele and Moura everyone would have gone crazy about the defensive line-up. It would have been more capable of retaining possession, pushing on and taking the game to Chelsea away from home.

-----------------Lloris
------Tanganga, Toby, Sanchez
Aurier---------Winks----------Davies
-------Gedson---Dele---Gio
---------------Bergwijn

That would be my line-up for Wolves

Get rid of him in the summer. Can't stand him. I'll be happy to dig out this post if he proves me wrong.

Every right-thinking Spurs fan wants him to succeed, but even if he does (and what is his success criteria) you can't help but feel that he's a self-made calamity waiting to happen the way he's behaving.

It would be a ridiculous decision to sack Jose.
You have a bunch of players who were failing to put in the effort under a manager who was popular with the public, press and our sponsors.
Sacking the manager bought in to get them working would be madness.
If the 'senior players' think we have regressed they should probably take a look at themselves before complaining to third parties.
We have been here with them before.
I am not happy with joses comments of late - I am no football tactician either - but at some point the shackles need to come off and they need to click and start thinking for themselves on the pitch a bit.
Fingers crossed its sooner rather than later.

I dont have much expectation with our current injury situation. It doesn't add up. We have 3 key players out long term with no back ups. We lost Eriksen and got no replacement like for like. Davies is back but is not good enough anyway. Rose has gone, KWP gone. At present we are in bad shape , there is no dressing it up , no point pretending we can battle through it and play expansive attractive football. Then there is the crazy schedule of games 3 in 7, 4 in 10 coming up. Our signings continue to fall short of the quality required. Ndombele, Sessegnon, Gedson and Clarke are not contributing, Loco is ok but no Eriksen ( yet anyway ) maybe never.
The numbers don't add up and it's no good hoping there is a secret formula which will make them work. Jose has an impossible task.

I dont have much expectation with our current injury situation. It doesn't add up. We have 3 key players out long term with no back ups. We lost Eriksen and got no replacement like for like. Davies is back but is not good enough anyway. Rose has gone, KWP gone. At present we are in bad shape , there is no dressing it up , no point pretending we can battle through it and play expansive attractive football. Then there is the crazy schedule of games 3 in 7, 4 in 10 coming up. Our signings continue to fall short of the quality required. Ndombele, Sessegnon, Gedson and Clarke are not contributing, Loco is ok but no Eriksen ( yet anyway ) maybe never.
The numbers don't add up and it's no good hoping there is a secret formula which will make them work. Jose has an impossible task.

Look at my This Is It thread, that's the point I'm making, if what Jose has to work with currently is supposed to be good enough, how many would get into the other teams. ?

Not many, as I'd fully expect.

If he manages CL with what he's got to work with we should build a statue lol.

Perhaps the bravest decision Levy could make is change the objectives. It's been clear that the CL agenda has been the big agenda for a few years. Finishing top 4 supersedes everything else, except for maybe the very latter stages of the tournament itself which we had briefly last season.

All of us could have told Levy that there would be a massive latent effect of the club's squad strategy. Nobody is the least bit surprised that this day has come regardless of who is the manager. We're probably more surprised it didn't come a year earlier. I still pinch myself that we somehow came 4th last season.

I'm starting to believe that our best outcome could be 4th but our second best outcome could be 8th. We're about 6 weeks away from making a decision whether we should be next season's Leicester i.e. have a manager with 16 core players focusing on 38 league games. Ironically, our best eleven is as good as Leicester's with full fitness and on top form and plenty of rest between fixtures.

Perhaps the bravest decision Levy could make is change the objectives. It's been clear that the CL agenda has been the big agenda for a few years. Finishing top 4 supersedes everything else, except for maybe the very latter stages of the tournament itself which we had briefly last season.

All of us could have told Levy that there would be a massive latent effect of the club's squad strategy. Nobody is the least bit surprised that this day has come regardless of who is the manager. We're probably more surprised it didn't come a year earlier. I still pinch myself that we somehow came 4th last season.

I'm starting to believe that our best outcome could be 4th but our second best outcome could be 8th. We're about 6 weeks away from making a decision whether we should be next season's Leicester i.e. have a manager with 16 core players focusing on 38 league games. Ironically, our best eleven is as good as Leicester's with full fitness and on top form and plenty of rest between fixtures.
That's why we come here Mutters. That's a great post. Interesting conundrum.

Agreed . There must be an optimal number of first team level players needed to compete in all competitions to a latter stage.
I worry that everyone is going to lose it and panic if we don't have CL. It's not the end of the world. As Ex pointed out our financial model isn't based on CL cash. How many years did the bin dippers miss out for? A few if I recall. Look at where they are now. Although they now have unbelievable owners TBF.

Good post but I don't agree our best 11 is as good as Leicesters anymore.

Good post but I don't agree our best 11 is as good as Leicesters anymore.

Put the players on top form and it's not far different.

Our front 3 of Son, Kane, Bergwijn is stronger than Barnes, Vardy, Perez.

Our midfield 3 of Dele, Ndombele, Gio is similar to Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemens. It's hard to picture ours on top form, but they are equally capable as theirs.

With the GK's similar, it's probably their back four that looks better than ours at the moment especially the full-backs.

Worth remembering that we wouldn't go into next season with the same eleven as this season. No reason why we couldn't be at that level if we could narrowly focus on the league only. I think we sometimes underrate some of our players.

I worry that everyone is going to lose it and panic if we don't have CL. It's not the end of the world. As Ex pointed out our financial model isn't based on CL cash. How many years did the bin dippers miss out for? A few if I recall. Look at where they are now. Although they now have unbelievable owners TBF.

My understanding is that Spurs are sort of budgeted for the season without CL and then that revenue becomes an upside when it comes along.

One way of looking at it is like have one less Ndombele each season :-)

In other news, looks like our new stadium has an Anthony Joshua payday coming our way in July. Every little helps right?

Put the players on top form and it's not far different.

Our front 3 of Son, Kane, Bergwijn is stronger than Barnes, Vardy, Perez.

Our midfield 3 of Dele, Ndombele, Gio is similar to Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemens. It's hard to picture ours on top form, but they are equally capable as theirs.

With the GK's similar, it's probably their back four that looks better than ours at the moment especially the full-backs.

Worth remembering that we wouldn't go into next season with the same eleven as this season. No reason why we couldn't be at that level if we could narrowly focus on the league only. I think we sometimes underrate some of our players.
I tend to agree that on paper our squad is every bit as good as Leicester's. Perez, as an example, is nowhere near the calibre of a top four player in my assessment. It's not however always about the individual quality of the players is it. Team spirit and commitment can carry a team a long way, and add to that, Brendan Rodgers has made all the difference between Leicester being a mid table versus top four team. On team spirit, commitment and managerial impact, we come nowhere close currently.