Keown; Jose's time's been and gone... | Vital Football

Keown; Jose's time's been and gone...

Spursex

Alert Team
'Time's been & gone': Martin Keown suggests Tottenham man is finished

Martin Keown has suggested that Jose Mourinho's time has 'been and gone', as he questioned why he hasn't changed from a tactical standpoint.

Speaking to Sports Report on BBC Radio 5 Live (22/02/20 at 5:15 pm), Keown was critical of Mourinho's comments about his injuries, as he claimed that Tottenham have 'enough bullets in the gun'.

On whether Mourinho is being defeatist or realistic in regards to his striker comments: “Well, when Lamela comes on, it shows that they have got players available to be attacking," Keown told Radio 5 Live. "It was the only time in the match [when they scored] that they got bodies in the box.

“If you are going to play so deep, as he is Mourinho. I just look at Mourinho now and think is Mourinho's time been and gone. Where is the innovation from his tactics?

“I'm struggling to see what he does as a manager now. I know when I watch Guardiola it's four at the back, it's a midfield player that sits and they are really creative in front. Same with Klopp.

"He [Mourinho] has to have a good look at what he wants to do as a manager. And what way does he want to play? He has got good players there. It's not enough to say that I don't have enough bullets in the gun because he does.”

Garth joins him too...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/...-crooks-isnt-too-pleased-with-tottenham-mans/

“He has people who can score goals,” Crooks told Final Score. “Moura can score goals. Dele Alli can score goals. They were both on the pitch against Chelsea.

“Let's not kid ourselves. We cannot start feeling sorry for ourselves and thinking Spurs are beat before they even go onto the pitch because they haven't got Kane or Son.

“That's nonsense! They have got enough to score goals.”

And Franks comments:

"In a game where I expected Tottenham to be deep, which they were in the first half - you know you can find him and he can bring people into the game," Lampard told Chelsea's official website.

"I expected Jose to know which way we were going to go. Whether that’s because we did it last time or he has probably some connections at our training ground as well. But he’s matched up and now that’s for the players. The matchup is a test, a challenge for us. They’re physical, they’re big and we have to take that challenge on positively.

He also told Football London, in regards to Mourinho's comments: "Serious. That’s the world we live in. When you have been working on that. We have previous on playing in the way we play. It only works if Ross and Mason are mobile. It is the players who enforce it."

Pretty much what virtually all the regular contributors on here have been saying. These pundits get money for nothing. Mourinho has proved pundits and fans wrong in the past, but not for quite sometime. Are the Board going to give Jose the sort of money he will want in the summer, I doubt it. Are our best players, particularly HK, going to want to be herer next season if we fail to make CL, I doubt it. Is JM going to change his approach whereby he positively seeks results rather than falls back on ready made excuses, I doubt it. This I fear is all going to end very ugly

Pretty much what virtually all the regular contributors on here have been saying. These pundits get money for nothing. Mourinho has proved pundits and fans wrong in the past, but not for quite sometime. Are the Board going to give Jose the sort of money he will want in the summer, I doubt it. Are our best players, particularly HK, going to want to be herer next season if we fail to make CL, I doubt it. Is JM going to change his approach whereby he positively seeks results rather than falls back on ready made excuses, I doubt it. This I fear is all going to end very ugly

He's got time to turn it around and to be positive; even if that means losing positively.

But if he doesn't, he'll be gone in the summer that's a 100% certainty.

Seems all his punditry mates are questioning his approach and his comments...

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has questioned the reasoning behind Jose Mourinho’s claim after Tottenham’s 2-1 defeat to Chelsea that he couldn’t have the set the team up any other way due to injury problems.

The Spurs boss said following the defeat, that injuries and fatigue meant that his side could not pose much of a threat going forward (BT Sport).

Tottenham lined up with five at the back and three in midfield as they set up to defend deep and soak up the pressure from Frank Lampard’s side.

Mourinho’s game plan went out of the window when Giroud gave the home side the lead in the 15th minute and Spurs struggled to impose themselves on the game after that.

The home side doubled their lead early in the second half and the game looked to be over from that point on, although the away did manage a late consolation when Erik Lamela saw his low cross deflected into the back of the net.

Ferdinand asked how the Portuguese coach can claim to lack the attacking talent needed to hurt Chelsea when he had the likes of Lucas Moura, Steven Berwijn, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele available.

The former England defender told BT Sport (22/02/20 from 12:30 – as relayed by The Express): “Spurs can’t seem to be underdogs in most games that they go into.

“When you take risks and you go forward you get a little bit of luck and you get an opportunity to get the luck in dangerous areas. But because they played so negatively it’s so difficult.

“That interview says that the attacking players like Moura, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Lo Celso – is he saying that they’re not good enough? That he’s inherited players that ‘I need to have wholesale changes in the next window’.

“It’s about £125m-£150m of talent that he’s saying isn’t really good enough for me to go on the front foot and attack the game.”

Seems all his punditry mates are questioning his approach and his comments...

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has questioned the reasoning behind Jose Mourinho’s claim after Tottenham’s 2-1 defeat to Chelsea that he couldn’t have the set the team up any other way due to injury problems.

The Spurs boss said following the defeat, that injuries and fatigue meant that his side could not pose much of a threat going forward (BT Sport).

Tottenham lined up with five at the back and three in midfield as they set up to defend deep and soak up the pressure from Frank Lampard’s side.

Mourinho’s game plan went out of the window when Giroud gave the home side the lead in the 15th minute and Spurs struggled to impose themselves on the game after that.

The home side doubled their lead early in the second half and the game looked to be over from that point on, although the away did manage a late consolation when Erik Lamela saw his low cross deflected into the back of the net.

Ferdinand asked how the Portuguese coach can claim to lack the attacking talent needed to hurt Chelsea when he had the likes of Lucas Moura, Steven Berwijn, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele available.

The former England defender told BT Sport (22/02/20 from 12:30 – as relayed by The Express): “Spurs can’t seem to be underdogs in most games that they go into.

“When you take risks and you go forward you get a little bit of luck and you get an opportunity to get the luck in dangerous areas. But because they played so negatively it’s so difficult.

“That interview says that the attacking players like Moura, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Lo Celso – is he saying that they’re not good enough? That he’s inherited players that ‘I need to have wholesale changes in the next window’.

“It’s about £125m-£150m of talent that he’s saying isn’t really good enough for me to go on the front foot and attack the game.”

Moura is not good enough as a striker, Bergwijn is not quite in tune and has little to feed off. Ndombele is definitely not good enough either due to attitude or fitness. Loco has been good and had one off game but still put in a shift .

I have to agree. The complaining has to stop. Its getting a bit embarrassing. I am also not sure how the other 22 or so players are feeling when their manager tells the world he thinks they are all to shit to score any goals.
Cant be great for morale.

Now we have this c*** joining in.

'It was unbelievable': Paul Merson fires warning to Tottenham & makes bold prediction

Amir Mir

@Amir_R_Mir
1 hour ago

Tottenham Hotspur have suffered back-to-back defeats in all competitions.

Paul Merson has warned Tottenham and Jose Mourinho 'they are going to be on the end' of a hiding pretty soon because of their 'unbelievable' defending.

The former Premier League player thinks there is the possibility that Spurs will concede five goals 'sooner or later', as he told Sky Sports News (22/02/20 - 12 pm start).

After conceding two at Aston Villa last Sunday, Spurs were beaten by RP Leipzig in the Champions League before their defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Prior to Saturday's defeat, Merson has boldly predicted that Spurs will be on the back end of a heavy defeat because of their defence, as he also claimed that Jose Mourinho is showing signs of the back end of his Manchester United reign.

"Honestly, you are watching them play and there was no game plan," Merson told Sky Sports. "It was like watching Manchester United at the end of his [Mourinho's] reign.

"It was unbelievable. No-one knew what to do, no-one was getting forward and everybody looked fearless of giving the ball away."

"They keep on getting away with it and sooner or later, they will be on end of one, they are going to be on the end of a three, four or five."

I have to agree. The complaining has to stop. Its getting a bit embarrassing. I am also not sure how the other 22 or so players are feeling when their manager tells the world he thinks they are all to shit to score any goals.
Cant be great for morale.

He is not wrong is he....

No, he's very wrong, as even Lamela proved. Be positive, be on the front foot and good things might happen.

The fact that you are even thinking like Jose obviously is, says it all.

Lamela has 16 league goals in 6 years

Not really a goal threat

I want Mourinho to succeed with us and rub all the critics noses in it but it must be obvious, even to his outsize ego, that he has to change....the question is does he know how?

And what input is the much vaunted assistant that we acquired from Lyon having if any? The squad is unbalanced between new players finding their feet, those who have never been good enough and those who have been great but are now past their sell by date, so yes Jose has problems, but if he wants to be successful here he has to learn how to make the team output greater than the sum of the parts...that’s what great managers are supposed to be able to do.

Leipzig are a case in point...full of individually @average players but working to successful patterns of play, drilled into them in training. Everton are another team that have turned themselves round under Ancelloti.

Work with what you have to create team play that allows the players a chance of winning games Jose....our squad can’t be anymore fatigued than any of the other squads at the top of the Premiership. I think you can forget about top 4 or even 5 playing the way we have...Chelsea have a run of games against cannon fodder teams so they are unlikely to lose 4th and unless Leicester have a meltdown that’s all the top 4 places taken, so imo we have nothing to lose by changing styles of play, blooding a few youngsters and going for the win in every game.

I want Mourinho to succeed with us and rub all the critics noses in it but it must be obvious, even to his outsize ego, that he has to change....the question is does he know how?

And what input is the much vaunted assistant that we acquired from Lyon having if any? The squad is unbalanced between new players finding their feet, those who have never been good enough and those who have been great but are now past their sell by date, so yes Jose has problems, but if he wants to be successful here he has to learn how to make the team output greater than the sum of the parts...that’s what great managers are supposed to be able to do.

Leipzig are a case in point...full of individually @average players but working to successful patterns of play, drilled into them in training. Everton are another team that have turned themselves round under Ancelloti.

Work with what you have to create team play that allows the players a chance of winning games Jose....our squad can’t be anymore fatigued than any of the other squads at the top of the Premiership. I think you can forget about top 4 or even 5 playing the way we have...Chelsea have a run of games against cannon fodder teams so they are unlikely to lose 4th and unless Leicester have a meltdown that’s all the top 4 places taken, so imo we have nothing to lose by changing styles of play, blooding a few youngsters and going for the win in every game.

When Poch lost Harry for the extended periods he did; did we ever hear anything like we have from Jose and that was before he lost Son!

Honestly, I desperately want him to succeed, but he is now his own worse enemy with his constant whining, moaning, and excuses. If he keeps setting us up like this to play, he'll be sacked before the summer.

Agreed. Yet by being positive, he scored. It makes our negative approach even more damning.

We had chances to break and attack, everyone was broken down by a player making the wrong choice or a poorly executed pass - normally a simple one.

The players on the pitch are either not at the required level we need or settling in.

When Poch lost Harry for the extended periods he did; did we ever hear anything like we have from Jose and that was before he lost Son!

Honestly, I desperately want him to succeed, but he is now his own worse enemy with his constant whining, moaning, and excuses. If he keeps setting us up like this to play, he'll be sacked before the summer.

Mopo didnt lose Son/Harry/Sissoko/Davies/CE/Lamela at the same time for extended periods

Injury wise, its not been this bad.

Thats a massive difference.

Mopo didnt lose Son/Harry/Sissoko/Davies/CE/Lamela at the same time for extended periods

Injury wise, its not been this bad.

Thats a massive difference.

No, you've missed the point entirely; Jose and his 'no strikers' comedy act started before we'd lost Son - and there were many a time that lost differing players we Harry, but we never vernally or mentally capitulated like this.

We had chances to break and attack, everyone was broken down by a player making the wrong choice or a poorly executed pass - normally a simple one.

The players on the pitch are either not at the required level we need or settling in.

Sadly, the last twenty to thirty minutes make a mockery of that statement.

More painful, but spot-on comments from a man who was one of the best...and is actually an erudite, intelligent pundit;

The former Arsenal defender slated Spurs for a lack of conviction, expression and imagination on the ball, claiming he has no idea what Tottenham's identity is right now.

Keown added that substitute Lamela – who put in the cross for Rudiger's own goal after a signature and somewhat superfluous ball roll – changed the game as he was the only one to really play with expression, earning the luck involved in the goal.

“No conviction, no expression, and I think it’s coming from Mourinho in terms of the mindset,” said Keown. “They set up today with a three, they tried to contain Chelsea and then they weren’t able to change. It's all too safe, they're ignoring passes in, there could be a bit more imagination, they're passive in their play, they ignore forward passes. Nobody seems to be attuned to the way that they're playing, I don't know what their identity is now.”

“I thought Lamela completely changed the game, he played with conviction, expression, they got lucky, but they deserved that by getting players forward. But I don't agree with Mourinho that he doesn’t have the necessary firepower, he definitely has, it's just the message that he's given to those players,” he added.