Kentbattingcollapse - n/g | Vital Football

Kentbattingcollapse - n/g

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the joke about people believing that englandbattingcollapse is all one word.

I think Kent could give them a run for their money. Last season, the addition of Allan Donald as bowling coach and Matt Henry bowling out of his skin gained them promotion from Division Two of the County Championship despite an embarrassingly low collection of batting points.

This season they seemed confident of doing well in Division One. Even without Henry, they have bowled out Somerset twice but in the first innings they collapsed from 86 for 2 to 209 all out (one batting point) and then the whole top order was out in the second innings before they reached 50. That was after the somerset number seven scored 63.

Only one side being relegated this season and the place has been claimed.

Matt Walker, head coach and former batsman, sits through this each week in the summer. How does he stay in a job?

There was me gloating on Saturday abou Div 1 cricket being easy. Doh.
Agree re our pathetic "batting".

I'm hoping to debut for Kent over 60's this summer ( not the firsts). At this rate I may get a call up for the "young uns"

Did I say the Gills were safe? I hope not.

Doesn't help the batting with Denly and Billings sitting on their backsides at the IPL, six games in they haven't started a match yet.

Poor pre season performances by a few batsmen was supposed to be compensated for by the addition of Renshaw and Kuhn for the first championship match but they did no better, averaging only 5.6 between them in four innings in the match. Perhaps they need a match or two to settle back in to English conditions, because they should be the backbone of our batting; and for all the lamenting of the loss of Henry it was the batting that let us down.

Poor pre season performances by a few batsmen was supposed to be compensated for by the addition of Renshaw and Kuhn for the first championship match but they did no better, averaging only 5.6 between them in four innings in the match. Perhaps they need a match or two to settle back in to English conditions, because they should be the backbone of our batting; and for all the lamenting of the loss of Henry it was the batting that let us down.
Given your moniker, I think you should be playing, Straightbat.

Doesn't help the batting with Denly and Billings sitting on their backsides at the IPL, six games in they haven't started a match yet.

There's part of me that thinks, good on them for getting a pay day, but it is gruelling to see them representing another domestic team (and not actually playing) rather than playing for their county. I do question the wisdom of allowing them to be captain and vice captain and their scruples for accepting those privileges (it's a lot more important than in football and they are both Kent boys born and bred) and then pissing off to play for a made-up franchise for the first 6-8 weeks of the season!

Agree - Kent were well on top and should have had a big first innings lead and collapsed; then they collapsed again in the second innings chasing what was a not huge total on a decent batting surface against pretty average bowlers. I am not sure if Somerset were missing players in the IPL too, but they didn't seem to have a great pedigree of players for one of the CC favourites compared to some of the players I saw on show in round 1 of the Championship. To be fair the batsmen, the bowlers weren't without blame, they had the match won in the Somerset second innings and having got their best players in Tresco, Hildreth and the Pakistani guy out cheaply, let the tail end and some pretty average middle order batsmen make hay. We also dropped quite a few catches.

All in all, a hugely disappointing opening to the new season.