Kent Police Flag | Page 3 | Vital Football

Kent Police Flag

Completely understand your position Nobby and I agree with what you say. I'd place one tiny caveat regarding the very last bit

" it saddens me that the police no longer feel they can display pride in their job but instead try to endear themselves with everyone else. "

I accept that from you as read because I've seen enough of your thinking and approach to know it's straightforward and honest. I have heard similar words used by people I trust less and felt uneasy because I sensed a possible hidden agenda.

Jogills, I believe you`ll find more than a few who feel there`s an agenda by some of those at the top of Kent Police to maximise their profile. Especially pertaining to their community drapery/fabric. Reason being that when Dame Cressida departs the Met there are certain people in Kent who fancy their chances of sitting at her desk. Competing priorities sometimes upset the apple cart.

Jogills, I believe you`ll find more than a few who feel there`s an agenda by some of those at the top of Kent Police to maximise their profile. Especially pertaining to their community drapery/fabric. Reason being that when Dame Cressida departs the Met there are certain people in Kent who fancy their chances of sitting at her desk. Competing priorities sometimes upset the apple cart.

This is just one of many problems associated with hierarchical structures....

You speak with more background knowledge than I on police appointments but I'm slightly puzzled as to why you direct this to me. I was wary of opening an unnecessary side debate and still am but here goes.

I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of policing by consent. In my personal opinion that concept can dovetail with seeking and maintaining links and dialogue with groups that make up wider society. We are all parts of several groups at different times and experience policing differently at different times. All that is perfectly acceptable to me.

I understand the reaction to some of the more dreary and over detailed policy statements, straplines and training materials. Very often I agree with the aims but cringe at the pontification, jockeying for holiness and box ticking. It is often counter productive and creates resistance, which is the opposite of the stated intention. Once entrenched this sort of stuff becomes a stick to beat enemies with, a useful tactic for scrambling up the greasy pole and fodder for all manner of false messengers.

You have your finger on the pulse Lancs !

You speak with more background knowledge than I on police appointments but I'm slightly puzzled as to why you direct this to me. I was wary of opening an unnecessary side debate and still am but here goes.

Jogills, i wasn`t trying to imply any negative connotations about your post. Just being a bit lazy, by grabbing hold of the words "hidden agenda" to make my, separate, point.

Agree with the gist of your input. btw. Police must maintain effective two-way communication with the communities they police, all of them.

Poor timing I think.
All I would ask, and always do, is why do the police fly flags of other organisations? And how do they choose which ones they're going to fly? (What do minority groups think if their flags isn't flown?)
When I took the oath, we had to promise to do our job "without fear or favour" (of any person or organisation)
Its a British police station so the union flag and/or the police standard for that constabulary is all thats needed in my humble opinion(unless of course all travellers are flying the flag of their local constabulary in return 😉)
Not a dig at travellers at all, i feel the same about any group, it saddens me that the police no longer feel they can display pride in their job but instead try to endear themselves with everyone else.
All pertinent Questions.

For a possible follow up on another thread, I looked up school attainment statistics (GCSE) by ethnicity.
Out of the UK cohort of 523,626, the numbers of Gypsy/Roma and Irish Traveller kids were:
G/R 1,107 (0.2 %)
Traveller 111 (0.0 %)

So Nobby's Q "How do they choose ?" seems pertinent.

On the basis of numbers, surely the perennial under-achieving minority that is GFC merit a day on their flag-pole ? :oops:

Shouldn`t
All pertinent Questions.

For a possible follow up on another thread, I looked up school attainment statistics (GCSE) by ethnicity.
Out of the UK cohort of 523,626, the numbers of Gypsy/Roma and Irish Traveller kids were:
G/R 1,107 (0.2 %)
Traveller 111 (0.0 %)

So Nobby's Q "How do they choose ?" seems pertinent.

On the basis of numbers, surely the perennial under-achieving minority that is GFC merit a day on their flag-pole ? :oops:

Shouldn`t be any flags flown outside police HQ other than the Union Flag or Kent Police Standard. Should never fly a football club flag, even ours, - that wouldn`t do at all....

Three flag poles.
The Union Flag tallest
The Police Flag next
Check calendar for third flag shortest

International talk like a pirate day would be a good one.

Jokerman gets my vote should he stand for Police & Crime Commissioner. First job would be to convince the accountant that Kent Police could afford three flag-poles. Second job would be to explain to the occupants of the HQ that failing to throw up three separate salutes would not be an affront or offensive.

Re the armed forces, I heard an excellent phone in to LBC last night focussing on how badly ex/present forces troops are treated. Serious problems with people reluctant to report their (understandable) stress and how ex forces are dumped without decent 'aftercare'.

Lots of callers with sad and distressful stories. Heart rending.

Meanwhile our citizens congratulated themselves with flag waving VE day lockdown breaking street parties, claiming they really respect and appreciate those who served.

Re the armed forces, I heard an excellent phone in to LBC last night focussing on how badly ex/present forces troops are treated. Serious problems with people reluctant to report their (understandable) stress and how ex forces are dumped without decent 'aftercare'.

Lots of callers with sad and distressful stories. Heart rending.

Meanwhile our citizens congratulated themselves with flag waving VE day lockdown breaking street parties, claiming they really respect and appreciate those who served.

It`s scandalous, we should treat our ex-servicemen and women a lot , lot better than we do.

I reckon you're spot on there, nobs. The police probably shouldn't be flying any flags except the police flag, and possibly the Union Jack.

I'd offer to fly the police flag for you here on my site but I reckon I'd get some abuse if I did, lol!
That is part of the problem these days I think you would get more abuse flying a police flag than a extremist political group flag.it is about time like with the NHS we focus mainly on the good they do not on the mistakes or poor doctors. But when it comes to the Police we focus on the mistakes and the bad policing.