Kent Police Flag | Vital Football

Kent Police Flag

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
The re-trial of the gypsy travellers accused of murdering PC Andrew Harper in Berkshire last year continues this week at the Old Bailey; one of the defendants, Henry Long, who said at the time of being charged "I don`t give a fuck", denies murder but has apparently admitted Manslaughter.

So, at this time, is it praiseworthy, appropriate or insensitive that Kent Police has decided to replace the Union Flag, which usually flies outside the Kent Headquarters building, with the GRT Flag , that`s the Gypsy Romany Traveller flag. It was raised yesterday, and flies to mark GRT History Month. Views please ?

The re-trial of the gypsy travellers accused of murdering PC Andrew Harper in Berkshire last year continues this week at the Old Bailey; one of the defendants, Henry Long, who said at the time of being charged "I don`t give a fuck", denies murder but has apparently admitted Manslaughter.

So, at this time, is it praiseworthy, appropriate or insensitive that Kent Police has decided to replace the Union Flag, which usually flies outside the Kent Headquarters building, with the GRT Flag , that`s the Gypsy Romany Traveller flag. It was raised yesterday, and flies to mark GRT History Month. Views please ?

Very glad to hear they've raised that flag.

It would be wrong to condemn all travellers because of the actions of a minority. Just the same as it would be wrong to condemn all police because of the actions of a minority.

Are Gillingham fans wrong to wave Gillingham flags just because some of our supporters are utter *****?!

Incidentally, I'm unaware of the flag. What's it look like?

Ooh, I might have to get one. I have a few; a Gills one, a Kent one, an anarchist one, a Jolly Roger and an acid smiley face one.

Who says flag-waving is just for the Right?!

I only have Metallica flag lol

I only have Metallica flag lol

One of a few regrets in my life is that I missed seeing Metallica at Glastonbury. A few mates went and said it was fantastic.

They're not usually my cup of tea but I think I made a wrong decision that evening, and missed out.

One of a few regrets in my life is that I missed seeing Metallica at Glastonbury. A few mates went and said it was fantastic.

They're not usually my cup of tea but I think I made a wrong decision that evening, and missed out.

Get a few.neers in, and watch them on YouTube :-)

Very glad to hear they've raised that flag.

It would be wrong to condemn all travellers because of the actions of a minority. Just the same as it would be wrong to condemn all police because of the actions of a minority.

Are Gillingham fans wrong to wave Gillingham flags just because some of our supporters are utter *****?!

Incidentally, I'm unaware of the flag. What's it look like?

Timing-wise, do you think it`s a little on the insensitive side ? Just wondering....

Timing-wise, do you think it`s a little on the insensitive side ? Just wondering....

Not really, not unless the Gypsy Traveller week was organised to coincide with the retrial.

Perhaps it was insensitive to arrange the retrial to occur during that particular week?

Or perhaps the two things just simply aren't connected?

Not really, not unless the Gypsy Traveller week was organised to coincide with the retrial.

Perhaps it was insensitive to arrange the retrial to occur during that particular week?

Or perhaps the two things just simply aren't connected?

OK, thanks.

Why do I get the feeling that I've just walked into a trap?!

Possibly I'm just paranoid? I'm not, am I?! ;-)

Who said you are paranoid, and why would they want to know, anyway...

Nah, no trap. Your reply is a fair one. But, the flag issue has actually raised a lot of controversy, especially in the Law Enforcement world - specifically about insensitivity connected with the Andrew Harper murder trial.

Who said you are paranoid, and why would they want to know, anyway...

Nah, no trap. Your reply is a fair one. But, the flag issue has actually raised a lot of controversy, especially in the Law Enforcement world - specifically about insensitivity connected with the Andrew Harper murder trial.

I'm not surprised that it's caused controversy, it's clearly controversial. But only because of the timing. It seems very unfortunate. Presumably the 'awareness week' had been scheduled before the re-trial? I doubt it was even taken into consideration when setting a date for the re-trail, but perhaps it should have been? Having said that, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What would be good is if the Gypsy Roma Traveller community condemned the murder. I don't know enough about it to condemn it myself, though I'm fairly sure that if I did I certainly would.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I remember (many, many moons ago) when the Kent Police flag got stolen from the flagpole outside one of Kent's police station.... ;-)