Kent cricket (n/g, obviously) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Kent cricket (n/g, obviously)

Colin Cowdrey was a superb player and and without a doubt one of the nicest blokes to play cricket. Love hearing stories about his deeds
It was Tunbridge Wells week and Kent had played Worcestershire in the first game completing victory by an innings in just one day. The second game of the week was against Sussex and Cowdrey instructed the groundsman to prepare two wickets. He then gave the Sussex captain a choice of which wicket they preferred added the option to bat or field. Sussex chose to bat and at lunch were 60 odd for 9 wickets and were all out shortly after lunch. By the close Kent were well over 200 for not very many with Cowdrey over a 100 not out in partnership with a young Brian Luckhurst who was not out having scored a half century. Feature of Cowdrey's innings was the way that he stroked the ball through a packed off side field with unerring accuracy whereas Luckhurst hit the fielders almost every time.

I assumed when I saw such a huge second wicked stand the pitch mush be an absolute featherbed but the Sussex batsmen are doing a good job of making Cox and Leaning's scores look all the more impressive.

And this 10th wicket pair are making the rest of their batting lineups efforts (with the exception of Finch) look pretty poor. We're going to end up having to bat again at this rate.

Excellent win. Stephens brought back memories of that match against Sussex at the Mote. I saw all three day 1975 I think.John Shepherd 15 wickets in the match with masterful bowling.

In terms of wickets lost this must surely be our biggest ever win. Can't bwlieve we've ever won a game losing just one wicket.

Anyone out there clever enough to be able to find out?

Normal records would only show wins by runs/wickets/innings and runs.

Another Underwood (well, sort of) story.

I was watching Kent v Yorkshire at Canterbury one year. Think it was a festival week, probably late 70’s or early 80’s.

Most of the day we saw, Boycott was batting. He scored a hundred and was pretty masterful, nothing like his dour play for England.

His battle with Underwood (who was late in his career by this time) was superb, dancing up and down the wicket. Leaving a lot and dispatching quite a few. The other bowlers he treated with much distain which he recounted in the late afternoon fielding on the boundary in front of us.

He was really quite chatty and engaging with the fans and one bloke asked what he thought of the Kent attack. He said words to the effect “That Oonderwood is still a magician, the rest of em I’d like to carry around wi’ mi, in mi back pocket and play em every week” 😁

From BBC:

"the last time a county won a match having lost only one wicket - turns out (ignoring rain-induced forfeits) it was when Warwickshire beat Gloucestershire at Edgbaston in 1974! This is a thrashing of historic proportions. "

"Cox has become the second youngest Kent player ever to score a double-hundred, while the only previous time Kent boasted two double centurions in an innings was at Essex in 1934 (Bill Ashdown & Les Ames). "

Stunning performance!

Kent's score was the fourth highest single wicket total in global first class cricket history, 31 runsonly short of the all time world record. We will never know if they would have beaten the record if it hadn't been for the 120 over restriction.

Cox achieved the highest individual score for Kent against Sussex and he also becane Kents highest maiden century maker beating the late David Nicholls score of 211.

Another warm one today, will take my anorak off now.

Kent's score was the fourth highest single wicket total in global first class cricket history, 31 runsonly short of the all time world record. We will never know if they would have beaten the record if it hadn't been for the 120 over restriction.

I was looking at similar stats last night, Bert, although what I found seems to be quite different from what you found. According to this link:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283581.html

the partnership of 423* between Cox and Leaning would only come in at number 15 on the best 2nd wicket partnerships of all time, and 63rd on the all time highest partnerships for any wicket. Highest ever partnership was 624 for the 3rd wicket between Jayawardene and Sangakkara for Sri Lanka against South Africa.

It's raining here today, I'll keep my anorak on.

I was looking at similar stats last night, Bert, although what I found seems to be quite different from what you found. According to this link:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283581.html

the partnership of 423* between Cox and Leaning would only come in at number 15 on the best 2nd wicket partnerships of all time, and 63rd on the all time highest partnerships for any wicket. Highest ever partnership was 624 for the 3rd wicket between Jayawardene and Sangakkara for Sri Lanka against South Africa.

It's raining here today, I'll keep my anorak on.
I have no doubt that you are correct but you are talking about a different record to me. I was talking about the total for the innings and not the partnershop. ie....

"Kent's score was the fourth highest single wicket total in global first class cricket history, 31 runs only short of the all time world record".

Sorry Bert, my mistake. When you said "single wicket total", I was thinking you meant runs scored by (for example) the 2nd wicket, so a partnership. I see what you mean now (y)

Even if you have your greatest few days ever officialdom rears its ugly head to spoil it. Young Cox reportedly posed for "selfies" with a few younger fans and found to be in breach of the self isolation bubble. Banned from playing in this weeks game against Middlesex!

NB. I am not trying to justify his actions.

Even if you have your greatest few days ever officialdom rears its ugly head to spoil it. Young Cox reportedly posed for "selfies" with a few younger fans and found to be in breach of the self isolation bubble. Banned from playing in this weeks game against Middlesex!

NB. I am not trying to justify his actions.
May teach the lad a important lesson without too much of a problem hopefully.Whoever comes in will know they only have one chance so hopefully it is a win win situation.

Kent have been set 248 to win from 32 overs against Middlesex, unlikely, although they've got to 25/0 from 5 overs