Keeping a lid on expectation. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Keeping a lid on expectation.

You win nowt in August. I’m excited to see how this team gets on but you can barely even call it a good start - a defeat on Saturday would put a different complexion on things. Having said that, we’ve got the best management team in the football league, so I’m confident they will see us through the inevitable rough patch, whenever it comes.

On the basis it is our best start since 1968, I think it is a cracking start.

What follows is what follows- but it is a great start

I'm trying to keep myself away from a keyboard to avoid posting silly things, but does Scotimp know the highest points tally for the fourth tier under the 3-points-for-a-win system? Just asking for a friend. :whist:

Not sure, but I think the 1975-76 team would hold it if the points were converted (74 equates to 106 now).

The main difference between previous years and this season is that our sense of optimism is entirely supported by the facts. Without question we have one of the best squads in League Two, if not the best. I can confirm that from first-hand experience because I literally compared all 24 squads side-by-side for our season preview. Time will tell, as always. But we also have DC&NC, and their attention to detail in terms of pre-match preparation and recruitment is becoming legendary. Everything points to a successful season, assuming the variables remain constant. Luck, for example.

Can expectations also be extended to cup the various cup draws.

Can't believe how some are reacting to getting Blackburn away. For heavens sake its a random draw.:help:

We’ve had a fantastic start, and things are looking very positive, but I’m not getting carried away.

This is football, anything can happen.

Look at Notts County last season- how many points clear were they around Christmas time? Then look at their second half of the season. I’m sure they were very positive early doors last year.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic time to be an Imps fan, and the momentum we have is great!

On County, they were arguably in a false position and didn’t have enough quality players to sustain a top three challenge and were eventually ‘found out’ and dropped down the table accordingly whereas we do have the players to mount a serious bid for automatic promotion and I fully expect us to be up in the top three all season long.

Well having been at the forum last night and heard DC and NC talk and then spending some time afterwards talking face to face with Danny it did nothing to dampen down my hopes for this season.

I just have this feeling that we could be in for a truly historic season and that the team will get better and better as the season progresses. Listening to them talk and their knowledge and understanding of the game along with their clear man management skills is like a refreshing breath of fresh air even after two years at the helm.

Got to say, I'm not comfortable with the favourite tag, I've got very used to little Lincoln turning up and upsetting people, it's what we do. Perhaps I'll be more comfortable after Saturday and we've returned with bragging rights in tact.

Didn't Notts County lose one of their key loan players in January?
One of them, yeah - Yates. Kept Grant, though.

Although Notts attribute their tumble in form to Nolan suddenly moving away from a formation and style that, up to that point, was successful.

His record since the turn of the year is quite poor I think I read.

One of them, yeah - Yates. Kept Grant, though.

Although Notts attribute their tumble in form to Nolan suddenly moving away from a formation and style that, up to that point, was successful.

His record since the turn of the year is quite poor I think I read.
Talking of Counteh I notice Dennis didn't start the opening two league games. He was often on the bench at Chesterfield last season too, very odd for such a regular goalscorer, is he a bit like Miller? Bit of a loose cannon?

notts' away form since they won at Exeter [September last year] is particularly poor.
all competitions
won 4 drawn 9 lost 11

Perhaps I'll be more comfortable after Saturday and we've returned with bragging rights in tact.

I'm not keen on people who do what I'm now going to do and use a typo, as I make so many of them myself. But, LSI....

There isn't much chance of anyone on here winning any prizes in tact.

This thread, and the fact that the lid of expectation has already been prised off and thrown in the recycling bin, might go some way to explaining why fans of other clubs get a bit irked about the Imps nouveau riche status.

This thread, and the fact that the lid of expectation has already been prised off and thrown in the recycling bin, might go some way to explaining why fans of other clubs get a bit irked about the Imps nouveau riche status.

I know what you mean but why not let's enjoy it as it might never come round again. Tbh I couldn't care less what other fans of other clubs think! I don't go around rubbing their noses in it by lurking on other teams message boards and gloating (which personally I find a bit sad but heyho each to their own).

I am just enjoying The Imps doing do well the only reason other fans are moaning at us is because we are. Nobody cared about us for the 10 years up to The Cowleys arriving because we were an insignificant and perennial under achievers.

The last time other teams bleated about us a lot I seem to remember was when Big Keith was in charge. Why because we were winning more hmmm funny that!

Never heard Lincoln fans described as nouveau riche before. Maybe I’ll accuse a few of that down the Cross on Tuesday night and see what happens.