Keeping a lid on expectation. | Vital Football

Keeping a lid on expectation.

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
I don't know about anyone else but I am finding it hard to keep grounded at the moment.

I have no idea where the pessimistic doom and gloom City fan of 30+ years has gone in me but I genuinely believe that we have every chance of going on to win the League this season (I appreciate you need some luck and things as well). Even during the last two seasons I kept waiting for it to go pear shaped but it didn't it kept getting better and better.

DC and NC seemed to able to get the maximum out of the players we have had the last two years and this group we have now seem to be taking us to another level.

I shouldn't be feeling like this after 3 games but I admit it I am starting to get carried away and do you know what it feels great after all these years! :wahey:

I don't know about anyone else but I am finding it hard to keep grounded at the moment.

I have no idea where the pessimistic doom and gloom City fan of 30+ years has gone in me but I genuinely believe that we have every chance of going on to win the League this season (I appreciate you need some luck and things as well). Even during the last two seasons I kept waiting for it to go pear shaped but it didn't it kept getting better and better.

DC and NC seemed to able to get the maximum out of the players we have had the last two years and this group we have now seem to be taking us to another level.

I shouldn't be feeling like this after 3 games but I admit it I am starting to get carried away and do you know what it feels great after all these years! :wahey:
Totally agree its very hard to believe after so much rubbish( not lately)but it only takes one viewing to see we have 21 excellent players( possibly 2 more to come) .Lets hope we can keep everybody (players ) happy if not playing.

I'm with you!

Although things could have been different at the Vale if that shot that hit the bar had gone in, I just felt on the night that we were awesome, and are really going to take some stopping

We've had enough false dawns and early expectations over the years to know better, but I really feel with this management duo, and players like Shackell and Akinde who have been added to the squad, we are living through a new era

Last edited:
The only thing that will dampen expectation is a couple of defeats otherwise it's just going to gather force like a tornado.

We’ve had a fantastic start, and things are looking very positive, but I’m not getting carried away.

This is football, anything can happen.

Look at Notts County last season- how many points clear were they around Christmas time? Then look at their second half of the season. I’m sure they were very positive early doors last year.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic time to be an Imps fan, and the momentum we have is great!

Hey, come on guys - DC said keep a lid on it (or words to that effect). Easy for him to say - he hasn't been supporting the club for decades. We're not used to someone bringing us such consistent success and 'feel-good' across the board. Like many other Imps fans I haven't felt this way since the GT era in the mid-70s. Even then, from what I recall, I don't remember feeling so excited about the early showing of the depth of quality in the squad and the range of options that DC has put together. I think what makes it more exciting is that we have the very rare resource of a management team and Board that is all heading the same way, learning constructively and practically as they go and are not just focussed on the players, but on developing the club as a whole, and are determined to take us all with them. Plus they are so damn genuine. It's weird - I keep having this unhealthy image of a 'love-in' and being carried off with a stupid grin on my face by the men in white coats. It can't possibly last, but lets just go with it for as long as it does. Plus, I have to pinch myself that it's happening to us and not some other cashed-up team - but then we aren't a cashed-up team - the Board and management have achieved all this purely on merit, character and hard work. UTI.

This is football, anything can happen.

Look at Notts County last season- how many points clear were they around Christmas time?

Yes I agree anything can happen but the other way of looking at it is they have Nolan and we have the Cowley brothers. They don't get success by luck or throwing money at it they get success because they actually know what they are doing.

Looking at their record over the years the teams they have managed have scored more points in the second half of the season than the first so I don't have too many fears about dropping off ( cup runs and injuries aside). I think we will get better as the season progresses.

I can feel the expectation rising, but to keep myself grounded I remind myself that we didn’t play very well against Northampton and that was only 11 days ago.

Yes but even the best teams have off days. However the best teams win when they aren't playing well just as we did at Northampton.

Still some very good teams in this league regardless how good we believe we are
Exeter
Colchester
MK
Stags
County

It’s those games that’ll determine our season

Uti
Agreed. But I think both Northampton & Swindon belong in the list of top teams this season and we've already beaten both of them so I'm feeling optimistic. Of course we're not going to win them all and we're only 3 games into the season so anything can happen. But looking good so far!

One thing's for sure, I bet they're more worried about us than we are of them!

You know DC makes brilliant listening, he always considers what to say before opening his mouth, he always plays down our chances in a positive manner and is magnanimous in defeat. You could write a whole book forget thread on what he said in the last 2 seasons. Who remembers after the bloke with the odd name said 'that will kill Lincoln' after scoring a late winner for Tranmere? When put to DC he simply replied 'no I'm alright thanks, just like to thank Tranmere for reminding us the minute we slip up there on our tails ready to pounce' with a smile as he spoke.

You win nowt in August. I’m excited to see how this team gets on but you can barely even call it a good start - a defeat on Saturday would put a different complexion on things. Having said that, we’ve got the best management team in the football league, so I’m confident they will see us through the inevitable rough patch, whenever it comes.