Keep bang up to date with the Referendum results | Page 2 | Vital Football

Keep bang up to date with the Referendum results

HerrLjunga - 24/6/2016 09:08

The depressing level of ignorance, hate and right-wing fuckery I encountered yesterday was appalling. People in their 40s, 50s, 60s, never voted before, never will again but hate the fact their neighbour is foreign. This result is based heavily on hate and intolerance and anyone that voted along those lines is a rotten human being.

I wouldn't say that the result is based heavily on it only a small percentage would have voted because of that! At the end of the day some people viewed both sides to the story and felt that leaving the EU is more beneficial! I bet countries like Spain and Italy would jump at the chance to leave the EU.

So pleased to have voted OUT... of the Guvnor's forum. Persuaded by Wayne who misses my views on past it Cody McDonald

Yep! I made an informed decision that wasn't based on Racism and Bigotry. It is the right thing to do for our country. Truly remarkable day. Very very pleased.

HerrLjunga, when i go to vote i dont make eye contact with anyone. I walk in, pick up my paper, mark a cross, put it in the box, and walk out. Sounds like you did an in depth survey on fellow voters (i dont think you are supposed to do that once you are inside the polling station)?

Do we think that there is any chance that Cameroon may try to re-negotiate the terrible deal with the EU now that he has the bargaining power of a referendum backing to leave the EU, and potentially causing the break up of the EU.

If the free movement of people was resolved in the re-negoatiation then I reckon Cameroon would be well within his rights to put forward a 2nd referendum and I think Remain would win by a lot. as we well know, immigration was the sticking point for a lot of people and if this was resolved then most would be more than happy to stay in the EU.

I do feel that EU may now be very keen to now re-negotiate the deal, and re-think some of their key principles if they want the EU to continue. Germany, for example, are desperate for us to stay.

That's what we have done AK. We have put ourselves in this position that you suggest, which is fantastic news for us all. I also believe in some parts of the EU and would be keen to see any further renegotiation details.

We have so many options and given more time I really believe that people will realise this was the right decision for the UK and our democracy.

I am very proud that the people didn't buckle under the pressure and am very hopeful for the future.

:1:

I'm 21 and I voted out so I guess I'm a bit of an outlier. I wouldn't say I fell for any racist right wing propaganda I carefully examined both sides of the debate and came to the conclusion I supported leave.

I'm 21 and I voted out so I guess I'm a bit of an outlier. I wouldn't say I fell for any racist right wing propaganda I carefully examined both sides of the debate and came to the conclusion I supported leave.

I'm still waiting for the economic crash, the housing market collapse and a nuke to land on me.

Experts indeed :6: :3:

Teg64 - 24/6/2016 05:44

Once again the older generation have screwed it for the youngsters. Being a care worker for the elderly, I've heard so much crap in the last few weeks, the way some people talk about anyone that isn't white is shocking.

I think there's scary times ahead.

Rant over

Laughable comment. I like the way people have a view that we should remain, but can't just give that view or opinion, they have to try and justify it by bringing others such as youngsters in to it. Believe it or not, most of us who voted leave did it because we think it's best for teh future - I hope I've got another 40 odd years in my so am voting for what I think is best for me, my 4 year old son and country. OK, you think we should have remained in the EU, which is a fair enough opinion, and you may think it's right best for the young, but it's amazingly pompous to think that others with a different view are doing anything different to you.

I don't disagree that there are some on the "leave" side who might be racist or extreme, but see them as a minority. I also think on the remain side, a lot (probably more) youngsters are equally clueless about the EU. They go about in a wishy washy bubble talking about cultures, peace and love, travel, and "being in it together" as reasons for staying in the EU, without having the first grasp of what the EU respresents as an insititution, and in fact, if they studied it closer and looked at what's happened in Greece, Spain etc., they may just realise that the EU represents everything contrary to their ideologies (in addition to the fact that they are standing up for the establishment), but they are so entranched in their anti Farage/Boris rhetoric that they don't realise it.

All in. I am delighted at the outcome having studied it closely, but also that the arrogance and pompousness of the establishment and a million and one celebrates - i.e. Beckham, Geldoff, Daniel Craig and co - who think they know best and can preach to the rest of us what we should do have been defeated.

Lol Limehaus!

I also haven't noticed millions of immigrants leaving or any new hospitals being built, but it's only been a couple of hours.

ThreeSixes - 24/6/2016 10:07

HerrLjunga, when i go to vote i dont make eye contact with anyone. I walk in, pick up my paper, mark a cross, put it in the box, and walk out. Sounds like you did an in depth survey on fellow voters (i dont think you are supposed to do that once you are inside the polling station)?

You have no idea how many hours and days and weeks I've had to deal with this referendum, it has occupied my every working hour for something approaching three months. I didn't get anywhere near a polling station yesterday as I was far too busy occupied elsewhere in the system. People who want to believe that only a small minority voted for Leave for solely racist/bigoted purposes are miles off, at least in terms of my region of the country.

Well done to the leave brigade, however, it's time to stop saying what the UK will do now and how great we'll become.
Scotland will almost definitely leave the UK within the next couple of years, remember as a country they voted to remain, and will want to reclaim their democracy. Northern Ireland also voted in but clearly that could be a more difficult problem to resolve.
Looks like England and Wales could be on their own, if Wales wants to stay.

Anyone else seen the regional map on the BBC website? Fascinating geographical schism - the devolved countries, London and the south east voting to remain, the rest of England voting out. I've thought for a while that England is already effectively two countries in one, this confirms it.

Some of the hysteria we're now seeing from the remainers was perhaps predictable but it's not helping. Let's all calm down and work it through.

PS I voted out, but it was a very rational decision. I'm not all het up about immigration and I'm certainly not xenophobic. I believe in economic and cultural collaboration. For me, it was definitely a decision based on self-determination. In fact the UK may have done Europe a massive favour. EU leaders are already making noises about reform. If they'd shown they were genuine about it previously, I may well have voted to stay in. Let's see what happens...

I actually refused to vote as I really didn't feel that any reasoned debate had been had. I would find myself edging from one side of the argument to another constantly and I realised that we just don't have the knowledge to make this decision. I've said it before and I'll say it again - If I made such an important decision based on so little information at work I don't think i'd be in a job very long. If somebody presented the same information we've been able to see about the EU referendum to me i'd instantly call for 'more accurate information' and less assumptions and uncertainty - not just make a decision anyway. That was my reason for abstaining.

I do though think that this could be the wake up call for the EU - a number of other countries are going to consider leaving, and the EU looks to need serious reform. Many have predicted the downfall of the EU within 5 years...I think this too unless some fairly drastic measures are taken and this could be the catalyst to do it. As I have said above, there's a small chance they will try to renegotiate the offer with UK and offer us basically what we wanted originally - proper control of our borders. The govt will then hold a 2nd referendum and we will choose to stay in under these new conditions as we all know the economics of immigration was the main reason people wanted to leave - and it's a fair reason that I can definitely see is more than just a 'racial' thing for many people. Whether or not the EU would offer this is obviously the main factor, but I think it might get to a position where they can't afford not to as the EU looks more and more likely to break up.

There won't be a 2nd referendum AK - The majority of people voted out because they wanted out, not because they wanted a better deal.

I also don't understand what is so difficult to comprehend about the decision. Do you want democracy or not? Thankfully 52% of us did.

Well there's 2 different points there...

1st Point....both sides of the argument couldn't even agree on whether laws were actually made with a democratic process or not then this is a prime example of why I couldn't make my mind up as nobody had a clue what is actually true and what is rhetoric. It all just boils down to which your opinion agrees with as to which you believe. For me, it's like choosing which religion is best.

By way of example:

Brexit said - Laws are made out of the country by unelected bureaucrats.

Remains said - No they are not. We elect our MEPs who do this and therefore it's just as democratic as our own MP system, where our decisions are based on what's best for the poorer north as well as the south. Some even claim we also have the power to veto if we don't like a law.

Brexit says - no we don't have the power to veto.

The two sides simply could not even agree on this very simple matter. Do you understand my concern about this? very simple, but very prominent arugment that that no body could actually agree on the simple facts of.

2nd point...The bulk of people wanted to leave because of the economics of immigraton - and I understand that point of view. To some extent I agree.

Let me ask you this - If it were the case that they could have their cake and eat it, be part of the single market but not have to put up with the immigration issues, do you really think they would have the same opinion? do you seriously think that people would have voted leave? Do you not think that if one of the main reasons people voted out was reversed, that people would accept that remaining is better?

Managed to watch abit this morning. An interview on the BBC with someone who was Belgium and from Germany both had a say on what they thought about us leaving the EU. The Belgium bloke said he doesn't care about It and is not bothered that Cameron has left. The German lady said that if she was British then she would have left but she wanted to stay why you ask? Britain pay the 2nd highest in taxs and she felt that it would affect Germany. She also stated that she understood why we decided to leave!