Karanka's exit conversations | Page 3 | Vital Football

Karanka's exit conversations

I misread the thread title and thought that the board might be questioning whether Karanka is the right man to be trusted with this big rebuilding job. He's had 20 league games now and has mustered a meagre 21 points, this despite being able to bring in 10 of his own players.

Now I don't want to see another sacking; we have had too many of them. Somebody has to be given a bit of time. But Karanka has so far been unimpressive.

Agreed.
Boring football played badly.
We need to stick with someone though it might as well be AK.

Agreed.
Boring football played badly.
We need to stick with someone though it might as well be AK.

I don't think it's the worst football we have played in recent years, but that is hardly a ringing endorsement is it?
It has been poor and at times negative.
I agree he should be given time but I am not sure sure I want to watch, unless we get a couple of exciting attacking options in and as you said, play in their half!

Mores the pity.

No matter how many people love him on here, we will not progress past the low 50 points level while he is the best defender we have

Fox will stay, back up for the first half of the season and when it all goes pear shaped he'll be back in the team - like practically every other season he's been at the club.
I'd keep him ,decent enough as back up.

We have had nothing to play for, it has been different but it always is when the season is over.
When we really need to win, its gonna be Forest nil.
I'm not saying Karanka can't be good, but he hasn't so far.

Games in the last few weeks have been great though and we've had some good ones in between.

The 6 without scoring were dull but there is an obvious reason for that.

I don't think the football style is boring at all. To be honest, it is no different to Warburton except that there are different players, they are allowed to clear it and we no longer have the luxury of 3 effective goalscorers

Games in the last few weeks have been great though and we've had some good ones in between.

The 6 without scoring were dull but there is an obvious reason for that.

I don't think the football style is boring at all. To be honest, it is no different to Warburton except that there are different players, they are allowed to clear it and we no longer have the luxury of 3 effective goalscorers

The football in the last few games has, to be honest, been entertaining! Yes I didn’t think I’d be saying that about a Karanka team. For example the draw at home to Bristol C was one of the most entertaining nil nils I’ve ever witnessed. But it was so frustrating because we missed SO many chances. Yesterday sounded similar.

We need an influx in quality up front which, added to our increased resilience, would make us more competitive. I’m talking about greater investment as I believe it’s no coincidence that our current team was assembled with the 17th highest level of investment (£7m) in the league, and we finished 17th! The board now need to release the purse strings. It’s a risk with AK, I have to say, but it’s a risk we have to take. We have to give AK a season.

It’s for these reasons I have hope for next season.

Totally agree forestonourwayback with your post.I do feel Karanka is trying to do the right thing and believe if we can get some quality up top it will ease the pressure of our defending.We have missed too many chances but we are beginning to look more balanced.I am hoping to see Cash and hopefully Yates to be a big part of next season as well as some quality strikers.

The football in the last few games has, to be honest, been entertaining! Yes I didn’t think I’d be saying that about a Karanka team. For example the draw at home to Bristol C was one of the most entertaining nil nils I’ve ever witnessed. But it was so frustrating because we missed SO many chances. Yesterday sounded similar.

We need an influx in quality up front which, added to our increased resilience, would make us more competitive. I’m talking about greater investment as I believe it’s no coincidence that our current team was assembled with the 17th highest level of investment (£7m) in the league, and we finished 17th! The board now need to release the purse strings. It’s a risk with AK, I have to say, but it’s a risk we have to take. We have to give AK a season.

It’s for these reasons I have hope for next season.

Spot on

Yes, quite possibly. I assumed their current clubs would keep them, but you are quite right that there is no guarentee of that.

Needless to say, add them to the list.

One player I might keep though is Walker, who I thought showed promise here and there in the AM role

Owd guarentee...

Need a goalie and a left back plus a striker. The rest can be developed and built. Assuming Figgy and Dawson sign, alongside Worrall and Fox CD is sorted. Signing a LB releases Oz in to midfield to join lots of options including Yates, even without Colback. Could do with a passing midfield player but I doubt he will be played as AK prefers 2 holding and two wide. Not convinced with Clough or Tomlin in the central midfield role so that is a possible purchase.

I don't see 15 coming in. I can see 10/12 or so leaving, counting the likes of Ward and Traore but only see 5/6 or so replacements. We need quality not quantity.

Goalie, left back, passing midfield general, striker and someone who can sit in the hole behind the striker. These players need pace but more important speed of thought. Most important is LB and striker. This is where any money should be spent.

AK only bought Figgy in the summer, the remainder of the signings were frees or loans. I think he has shown a shrewd purchasing policy so far and would put Trust with EK's money in him. Note I wouldn't trust him with my money.

Polly, interesting that you mention speed of thought, although I don't see the games it's felt obvious that we've had very few players this last year or two ( or maybe more ) who have had this ability. Particularly in the last third where we have been so consistent in our inability to put the ball in the net.
Until we get players with this ability I reckon we can forget all about promotion.
Good post.

Wouldn't argue with much from your list Pope.
Fox won'tbe going as he'sjust extended his contract hasn't he?
I'ddefinitely keep Worrall, he will be a better defender than Brereton will be a striker, imo. So if we need to raise cash, then I would sell Ben. Would rather keep both though.
I think Darikwa has played much better since AK arrived and other areas need more strengthening so would be ok with him staying.

The squad:
Pantillimon - on loan but probably signed on a permanent deal.
Evtimov - loan or sell
Henderson - sell
Kapino - here next season
Smith - loan out
Lichaj - will be retained
Figueiredo - joining on permanent deal
Mancienne - sell
Fox - signed 1 year extension
Hobbs - release
Darikwa - will be retained
Lam - sell
Fuentes - release
Worrall - retain
Guediora - sell
Bridcutt - retain
Cohen - retired
McKay - sell
Osborn - retain
Cash - retain
Colback - try to sign
Ward - sell
Dowell - back to Everton
Dejagah - release
Ariyibi - loan
Vaughan - release
Bouchalakis - retain
Watson - retain, captain
Grant - loan again
Murphy - sell or release
Tomlin - will try to sign
Clough - see how pre season goes but I think he will be sold
Brereton - loan
Lolley - retain
Walker - sell
Cummings - sell
Vellios - sell

Add Gomis and Yates who will be in the senior squad.
Quite a cull. And needed.
If Pants, Tomlin and Colback are signed, we need 2 x left backs, 1 centre half, a winger and 2 strikers.

The only change I would make to that is getting shot of Bouch as well.

Rather large to do list methinks.
Agree can't see when he would get an opportunity and would prefer Yates to be ahead of him in the side.