Kane worry.. | Vital Football

Kane worry..

Spursex

Alert Team
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...m-should-england-be-worried-for-the-world-cup

Adam Bate

Comment and Analysis @ghostgoal
Harry Kane’s form: Should England be worried for the World Cup?

Last Updated: 08/05/18 6:37pm

skysports-harry-kane-tottenham_4304064.jpg

Tottenham's Harry Kane has not been producing his best form of late

Harry Kane is the main man for Tottenham and England but there are signs of a dip in form. Adam Bate takes a look at the stats that will be making Gareth Southgate nervous.

It feels like sacrilege to suggest it, particularly given that he has scored three goals in his last five Premier League games, but Harry Kane is below his best. He would not welcome such scrutiny. Recent social media storms have fuelled the idea that he is being picked on. But anyone who has seen Tottenham's recent games could not help but wonder about his form.
Watford at home and West Brom away were the sort of fixtures to get fantasy football owners salivating and Golden Boot rival Mohamed Salah nervously checking his phone. But while Kane found the net against Watford, albeit after an uncharacteristic slip in the build-up, his performance at West Brom was indicative of how his levels have dipped.

There were heavy touches and signs of sluggishness. Ben Foster saved well from Kane just before the half-hour mark, but more alarming was the misplaced pass to Dele Alli soon after and the striker's wastefulness in a three-on-two situation during the second half. Kane was just not himself.
skysports-harry-kane-tottenham_4303480.jpg

Kane insisted after the Watford win last week that he was "feeling sharp" but the statistics support the eye test, suggesting his fitness levels are not what they were. His two lowest top speeds came in the recent games against Brighton and Watford, while he has not hit 32 kilometres per hour in a game since February, something he did 10 times up to that point.

Indeed, his average top speed in Premier League starts since March has been 29.07, down from 31.57 in matches prior to that. The current numbers are unusual given the consistency of his top speeds before that and, while some will put more stock in those statistics than others, it does suggest that he is playing a little within himself.
The significance of this lack of sharpness is that his decline in speed has gone hand in hand with a decline in the number of shots that Kane is managing to get away. The extra yard can be crucial - the difference between getting on the end of a chance and seeing it intercepted. This can be hard to spot but it is right there in the shooting stats since March too.

Mauricio Pochettino on why Kane should look to replicate Raul's attitude
Kane's shot volume is extraordinary. He has had 178 attempts this season, 38 more than Mohamed Salah. Nobody else has hit 100 yet and it is a big part of his success. It is not just that Kane is a good finisher, it is the number of shots that he takes. He can be selfish but this is encouraged by Mauricio Pochettino. The manager wants him to take this responsibility.
There are only nine players who have had eight shots in a Premier League game this season. They are familiar names: Alexis Sanchez, Sergio Aguero and Eden Hazard. But nobody other than Kane has hit the eight shots in a game mark more than twice. Kane has done it in seven different matches. At his best, he is simply irrepressible.
But his best has not been on offer for some time. The last of those seven matches was the win over Manchester United in January and the other six were all before Christmas. Kane's recent shot numbers are down. In the home defeat to Manchester City last month he did not have a single shot on goal, the first time that this had happened in over a year.

skysports-harry-kane-tottenham_4303481.jpg

A game against Manchester City is perhaps the toughest test that Kane is likely to face as a Tottenham player, but there have been easier matches too in this recent run and his numbers are still down. Kane has gone from averaging a frankly amazing 6.06 shots per 90 minutes prior to March, to registering a more modest 3.38 shots per 90 since then.
It is still impressive. It still puts him among the top dozen strikers in the Premier League this season. And, of course, it has still been enough for him to score against Stoke, Brighton and Watford. Perhaps that in itself is remarkable. Kane is a quality forward even when he is not at the peak of his powers. But it's still worth noting he is not at the peak of his powers.
With Tottenham on the brink of securing a top-four finish, it may not matter too much for his club but it will surely be an issue for his country. Kane will be expected to carry England's attack at the World Cup in Russia. He deserves the opportunity to do that fully fit and full of confidence. There is work to do over the next month to ensure that is the case.

Be honest here we have played the bloke into the ground over the last 3 seasons. He was always going to get an injury at some point. Frigging madness to think he wouldn't have.

He still looks like he hasn't recovered from the injury.

We need a new striker in the summer. No more cheap options.

Be honest here we have played the bloke into the ground over the last 3 seasons. He was always going to get an injury at some point. Frigging madness to think he wouldn't have.

He still looks like he hasn't recovered from the injury.

We need a new striker in the summer. No more cheap options.

This in a bloody nut shell. We have flogged him. We better mind we don't crock him totally. I'd seriously be looking to promote one of the out and out strikers from the youth set up that look good. Zero doubt they would have bettered Lorente and one may have exploded on the scene as Kane did. I actually miss Sherwood's input in the youth team.

No other 'top' club relies solely on one marquee striker and nor should we!
To expect him to perform at 100% for an entire season is ludicrous. It needs to be fixed and made top priority in the summer.
Not holding my breath though...

...we also need to apologise to Llorente for leading him to believe he might actually get some game time and for ruining his mediocre career!*

*I also appreciate he hasn't exactly taken his opportunities when given to him.

I care very little about our National team, but the media have hammered him recently so why are they surprised? Kane rushed back from injury and shouldnt have, he then made a song and dance about claiming that Eriksen goal and his desperation to beat Salah to the golden boot has been his undoing.

He has been crap since the injury but he still gets the goals. That is a sign of a real top class striker.

I really hope we get in a striker to play with him and support him next season.

I really think Rashford could become available. Mourinho is going to make wholesale changes there.
The thing is he can get plentyof game time as he can also play on the right or left and rotate with others.
The same could be said for Martial although not sure he would be strong enough up front in place of Harry. Could be wrong though.

I reckon a deal could be done.

I really think Rashford could become available. Mourinho is going to make wholesale changes there.
The thing is he can get plentyof game time as he can also play on the right or left and rotate with others.
The same could be said for Martial although not sure he would be strong enough up front in place of Harry. Could be wrong though.

I reckon a deal could be done.

He's only 20, don't think we've got any chance of seeing Manure giving up on him.

As for Martial, think that might be a bit of a long shot too, word is that he wants to go back to Europe if he is forced to take a move - which probably means Italy, where he'd probably thrive.

Watched Kane live again last night. Must admit, he looked lethargic in the 1st half but I thought he finished the game strong. He was way more involved in the last period of the game and was staring to look more like his old self. Still hoping he can play himself back into form before the World Cup. Our problem is that Vardy goes missing for large periods, although does work hard and can pop up with a goal. Rashford unfortunately has no clue how to lead the line. He is lost up front on his own and is better off in the channels for his country. When he plays up top he doesn't put the sort of shift we're used to from Kane and Vardy.

Watched Kane live again last night. Must admit, he looked lethargic in the 1st half but I thought he finished the game strong. He was way more involved in the last period of the game and was staring to look more like his old self. Still hoping he can play himself back into form before the World Cup. Our problem is that Vardy goes missing for large periods, although does work hard and can pop up with a goal. Rashford unfortunately has no clue how to lead the line. He is lost up front on his own and is better off in the channels for his country. When he plays up top he doesn't put the sort of shift we're used to from Kane and Vardy.

He really looked out of sorts in the first half, but as you said seemed to have more of a spring in his step in the second.

We really need to find a top-line striker who can share the load this summer.

We also need to find a 3rd attacking midfielder that shows the same levels of consistency as Eriksen. Son is all fits and starts and either needs an arm round his shoulder or a major kick up his backside right now. I watched him last night and he was only half showing for the passes from the full backs and spent way too much time strolling around. He needs to make things happen, like Eriksen does and Dele definitely tries to, rather than the nonsense we're seeing from him in these last few games. He'd be bench at best if I were Poch until he shows some fight for the cause.

At least Dele is trying to make things happen. It's not quite working for him, but I applaud the effort he's putting in and the fact he's trying to always be involved.

He really looked out of sorts in the first half, but as you said seemed to have more of a spring in his step in the second.

We really need to find a top-line striker who can share the load this summer.

Yes and hope for two things:

1- the striker we bring in is clinical and scores goals
2- he is actually given a chance to play so he can do my #1 hope.

Other than striker our co-#1 target this off season should be a top notch DM to effectively shield our back line.

That's a good sign that Harry got a second wind. Must be close to full fitness. It's been a long hard season for him , he has stood up remarkably really. My Spurs player of the season with Eriksen and Verts very close.

Other than striker our co-#1 target this off season should be a top notch DM to effectively shield our back line.

disagree... Depending on Wanyama's recovery /fitness... Dier and Wanyama is adequate for that position. We have bigger issues to address if all the outgoings are as rumoured.

disagree... Depending on Wanyama's recovery /fitness... Dier and Wanyama is adequate for that position. We have bigger issues to address if all the outgoings are as rumoured.

Sorry I have to disagree. In my humble opinion... neither are the right mold or neither are wanting to simply wanting to be a true DM. I will give Wanyama a small pass for injuries and maybe given more time he can be.