Justice for the 21 | Vital Football

Justice for the 21

Trekker

Has a high horse
Harrowing programme on now on BBC1
I've signed the petition for the truth to be told

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/42684

To this day I have never understood why they targeted Brum with so many Irish settlers in the area.Apparently it was never supposed to have happened due to a smashed up telephone box where they originally tried to phone the warning from and not having enough time to find another.But even if true it still dose'nt excuse the disgusting cowardly crime they called the cause.

Think it was the Mulberry Bush that was a coppers pub? Mate of mine was a copper at the time and on duty - he was pulling his mates out of that boozer that night, some burned, some maimed and some dead.
My auntie (a teenager at the time) was in town that night too, and the family were sick with worry until she came home. Obviously no mobile phones then!

When i worked in town I used to lay a flower at the memorial stone in St Philips Place each year on the anniversary, as did quite a few others. But it always suprised me how many people didn't and I was even asked a few times what it was. I reckon a lot of local people dont even know it's there.

It's baffling how this crime and attack on the city has been sort of brushed under the carpet and even forgotten to an extent.

Imagine if it had happened in Liverpool!!

Done and shared with pleasure - it's a national disgrace that the families of the victims and the people of Birmingham are still waiting for answers after 39 years whilst the cowardly scum who perpetrated the attack get away with it.

gator - 19/11/2013 11:14

To this day I have never understood why they targeted Brum with so many Irish settlers in the area.Apparently it was never supposed to have happened due to a smashed up telephone box where they originally tried to phone the warning from and not having enough time to find another.But even if true it still dose'nt excuse the disgusting cowardly crime they called the cause.

:110:

We were living in Redditch then. Although some Irish people we knew got stick about it, no-one was in any way abusive towards us. I did have a business acquaintance say to me on the following morning, "this isn't a particularly good day to be speaking to an Irishman". That was the height of it.
When I see some of the godfathers of that time's violence sitting in the Irish Parliament and in the Northern Ireland Assembly and being treated like some class of statesmen, I despair at the voters who support such people.

Well this will put the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24999051

I trust it means crimes committed in Northern Ireland and not England.

I cannot believe that has even been suggested to be honest Sir Dennis. This John Larkin fella has dropped an almighty bollock IMO.

To suggest that people who have lost family should just forget it and move on, to suggest that victims scared physically and mentally dont have the right to pursue justice and see the cowardly bastards who did pay for their crimes, is in my opinion disgusting, shows a total lack of empathy and is enough to suggest that he resigns his position.

Putting a line under it doesnt mean it's all forgotten. Just like the pursuit of justice doesnt mean the troubles could or would reingnite. Decades were spent pursuing nazi war criminals - yet relations with Germany were not affected.

Listening to the radio it does in fact include acts carried out in England but it is just an personal opinion and not any party policy.

I wonder where his sympathies lie ?

James06 - 20/11/2013 12:55

I cannot believe that has even been suggested to be honest Sir Dennis. This John Larkin fella has dropped an almighty bollock IMO.

To suggest that people who have lost family should just forget it and move on, to suggest that victims scared physically and mentally dont have the right to pursue justice and see the cowardly bastards who did pay for their crimes, is in my opinion disgusting, shows a total lack of empathy and is enough to suggest that he resigns his position.

Putting a line under it doesnt mean it's all forgotten. Just like the pursuit of justice doesnt mean the troubles could or would reingnite. Decades were spent pursuing nazi war criminals - yet relations with Germany were not affected.

But what do you want..

To Keep dragging it up, pointing fingers, looking for blame, looking for justice???

Its just one huge, awful, very sad era of our lives. We never move forward with bitterness attached to oneself. Both sides just look at each other in complete and utter sadness as we face the realities of what happened in our history. The sorry's have all been requested, the owning up has all been requested....Hunt them down yet it what does it change? It just has no end.

It just comes across that the side seeking justice is just to point score. Bloody Sunday, B'Ham pub bombings - its his fault, lets get justice for the victims. The whole era was just crap!

What makes a soldier(another human being) open fire on a group of people? What makes another plant an explosive device?- this is very sad in it's own right - these so called soldiers/fighters for a cause too, are victims of a messed up period.

Its time to move on...

As insensitive as John Larkin seems, from a purely NI point of view, I can't help but agree with him.

Almost £200m of public money was spent on the bloody sunday inquiry with no charges brought. The money would be better spent on the future than raking over the past.

Added to that, the majority of the evidence will have been destroyed during the decommissioning process.

Not sure you can question where his sympathies lie as it's across all 'sides'.

And NI is why I will not be signing this petition. Its time to end this.

You cannot change any of the past, what is done is done. Reaping up the who's is just a pointless exercise, as the situation during the time made the who's what they were(yes on both sides).

The only thing we can do is look back in complete and utter sadness at the whole affair. Which is the common ground both sides can agree with. Its no good looking at the masked IRA Soldier and wanting his blood...Behind the mask is a human being that has somehow stumbled upon a life where he thought it was the right thing to do, in blowing up other human beings. And its no good looking at the British armed forces that beat/killed other human beings too in the name of what they thought was the "right" thing to do. Both cases are extremely sad in there own rights.

NI Villan - 20/11/2013 14:30

As insensitive as John Larkin seems, from a purely NI point of view, I can't help but agree with him.

Almost £200m of public money was spent on the bloody sunday inquiry with no charges brought. The money would be better spent on the future than raking over the past.

Added to that, the majority of the evidence will have been destroyed during the decommissioning process.

Not sure you can question where his sympathies lie as it's across all 'sides'.

No it wasn't a cynical question , just one out of interest . Like you say it is across both sides as families involved in the Bloody Sunday still want soldiers prosecuted and under this proposal that would be dropped as well.

Well I disagree, with the comments from GT and NI Villan.

I see exactly what you're saying, why you say it and to be fair it's creditable, we all want peace.

But somebody planted those bombs in Birmingham, somebody detonated them, and they killed lots of totally innocent people. I cannot find it in me to simply turn and forget it, and I never will. Whoever did it needs to be found and punished.

That is the right thing to do. We all want compromise and to move on in harmony, but that will never happen until the victims and their families get the justice they deserve.

Should we have just forgotten the 9/11 or 7/7 bombers, or Slobodan Milosevic, Sadaam Hussein or Robert Mugabe? You cant just turn your back on mass murder in the interests of peace. It doesnt work like that.