June the second greatest day in our history | Vital Football

June the second greatest day in our history

Left work in Lockett Rd. Bryn.....dropped Jimmy the foreman off at his house behind The Bath Springs pub.....and as we pulled up his Dad, Bob who had recently retired from our place ...came shuffling down the drive shouting “Latics have getten int league !”

I went absolutely nap because I hadn’t even been thinking about it ....given we’d been shat on in previous years where we most definitely deserved it ....and we’d finished runners up in the NPL to Boston so I wasnt expecting anything.....so if you recall any gobby nineteen year old screaming indiscriminately out the window of a Sherpa pick up truck between Bryn and Newtown that afternoon ....‘twas I

(Jimmy the foreman was somewhat pleased but not exactly overwhelmed, with him being a life long season ticket holder at Man Utd :cautious:)

I was at school in a History lesson and Mr Dean came over to me and told me.
I couldn't wait to get home and talk to my Dad etc about it.
Just another thing that fans of most clubs haven't witnessed. One of a long list of achievements.
What a feeling!!! What a day. What a club!!!

COYL

I was working at a warehouse in locket rd bryn and i got a phone call from the wife

I rung Ted the steward at the supporters club in Woodhouse Lane and he told me, I just threw the phone up in the air and went charging round and shouting like a nutter, my mum thought I'd gone bonkers I was so overjoyed I cried what an amazing day.

I was on my way home from St John's primary school never having heard of Wigan Athletic due to my family not being in the slightest bit interested. The house across the road from me on swinley Lane had a blue and white scarve hanging in the window, I asked the bloke what it was for and went to my first game a few weeks later when a school friend's dad took me. Couldn't tell you who we played because I had nobody to educate me but know we won. I was hooked from them on! I now take my son and his best mate to pass on what I got from the wonderful bloke who introduced me to Latics!

I was working in Chorley and was friends with some Chorley fans i worked
with, they took the fantastic news in good humour.

My friends from Chorley came with me to matches at Springy and i went with them to matches at Chorley for years in the Non-league.

From Non-League to the Football League, was only a dream for years

I can't say I remember. I was but a twinkle in Pon Senior's eye at the time.

I do remember, though, exactly where I was and what I was doing when the Bahraini takeover was announced. I imagine I felt something similar on hearing that news... the certainty that our club really was still going to exist next season, after almost a year of that being at some points a pretty forlorn hope rather than a likely outcome... that feeling was as good as anything I've ever felt as a Latics fan.