Juan Foyth - Player Thread | Vital Football

Juan Foyth - Player Thread

muttley

Alert Team
From Sky Sports.....

Juan Foyth has been left out of Tottenham's Champions League squad again.
The 20-year-old Argentinian centre-back was omitted for the knockout stages of last season's competition after Spurs signed Lucas Moura in January.
Foyth - a 2017 summer-signing from Estudiantes - was initially in last season's group stage squad and boss Mauricio Pochettino admitted it was a "very painful" decision to leave him out of subsequent games. Foyth, who was signed as a prospect for the future, does not qualify for Tottenham's B list for the Champions League group stage because he has not yet been at the club for two years.

Whilst I didn't expect Foyth to play in the CL, it pretty much relegates him to the EFL Cup only until January. That's unless Poch decides to start integrating him into the Premiership team and rest one of our 3 senior centre halves or resist the temptation to put Dier back in defence.

Could be another quiet season for our young, talented centre half !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The shame is because of his pre-season injury we weren't able to see for ourselves his progress.

He's still young, but I still think at the moment looking at his physicality that he'd make a better defensive/box to box midfielder than he will a CB.

I guess as always, time will tell.

Now that’s a good idea. They’ll make a man of him at Elland Road.

Bielsa is Poch's mentor, so there's a high chance he will see Foyth in the same way as Poch. It would be a great way to measure Foyth, that's for sure.

I would give him a run at DM/CM. Dier is way off form, Dembele should only be used as a sub 90% of the time.

He is nowhere near strong enough as a CB. He isn't even 11 stone ffs.

Jose today said Foyth can make a sitting RB but not a wing back. So we could then have a flying LB on the other side whereas at present we have Aurier advancing on the right and the LB sitting. As the left back advances, Foyth becomes a RB/CB as the 3 covers the LB. I'm not sure it's out of the question he cant become RWB, he is fairly quick and strong. As some have said he could work at DM . Whatever position is decided, he needs to play more games as is being held back on his development.

The 3 words Jose used about Foyth were stable, solid and calm. Interesting words when you're in a team at centre half and it's like the Alamo. Quite the compliment.

The 3 words Jose used about Foyth were stable, solid and calm. Interesting words when you're in a team at centre half and it's like the Alamo. Quite the compliment.

He also said "intelligent" and "uses the ball well" in the later part of the interview.

He also said "intelligent" and "uses the ball well" in the later part of the interview.
Jan and Toby aside, intelligent is not a word we normally hear attributed to our defenders. It's quite refreshing. I think there's quite a lot to like about him even though I'm not sure where his best position is. He reminds me of a young John Stones although I'd hope he becomes a better defender at the same age.

Jan and Toby aside, intelligent is not a word we normally hear attributed to our defenders. It's quite refreshing. I think there's quite a lot to like about him even though I'm not sure where his best position is. He reminds me of a young John Stones although I'd hope he becomes a better defender at the same age.

I'm thinking Ivanovic and Azpilicueta when I hear Jose's comments. He had no problem leaving Ashley Cole on the bench for a year and playing Azpilicueta at LB and Ivanovic at RB because they were both smart footballers. He knew he could play Gallas as a full-back because of his intelligence in his first spell.

Jose's ultimate intelligent footballer was Carvalho at both Porto and Chelsea. Then you think about Makalele, simply one of the most intelligent defensive readers of the game. I think Jose has this prioritisation for intelligent defenders. He'll still play someone like Terry who is less effective when he has to use his brain over his heart. JT served a different purpose in the team.

At the moment he's looking for the defensive football brains beyond Toby, Jan and Dier in the setup. Davies is the only other one and he had him for one game. Perhaps he's seeing that in Foyth.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run at RB. But that's only because we are weak in that area.

He is just way too light weight at CB.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run at RB. But that's only because we are weak in that area.

He is just way too light weight at CB.

I would say that's quite disruptive. At the moment Jose has gone to a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with Aurier wide and Vertonghen narrow.

Does playing Foyth at RB suddenly mean that Vertonghen has to step down and get a wing-back like Rose in? Otherwise play with 2 narrow full-backs and change the system further upfield. it would be an interesting switch having just got Sanchez used to shifting over the to the right to accommodate Aurier.

I think Dier is surviving on his ability to speak Portuguese ( no mean feat)...it can’t be on his performances unless Jose’s contact lenses are fogged up.

I think Dier is surviving on his ability to speak Portuguese ( no mean feat)...it can’t be on his performances unless Jose’s contact lenses are fogged up.
i imagine Foyth is pretty fluent in Portuguese because of the closeness to Spanish