Joshua World Title fight at Spurs. | Vital Football

Joshua World Title fight at Spurs.

Spursex

Alert Team
Anthony Joshua world heavyweight title fight 'to be held' at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium looks set to play host to Anthony Joshua's world heavyweight title fight with Oleksandr Usyk in September

By
George Smith
  • 15:34, 8 JUN 2021
  • Updated16:07, 8 JUN 2021
Spurs

The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will stage the fight.

Boxer Anthony Joshua's planned world heavyweight title fight with Oleksandr Usyk is to be held at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

That is according to Sky Sports News, who say that the WBA, IBF and WBO champion has been holding talks about a fight against WBO mandatory challenger Usyk and the 62,000-seater stadium has been picked as the ideal venue for it to be staged.

Joshua had agreed to take on Kubrat Pulev at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in June last year, but the fight was switched to Wembley Arena last December because of the pandemic.

Last week, Usyk's promoter, Alexander Krassyuk admitted that he was hoping to finalise plans for the two to go head-to-head.

He told Sky Sports: "We are waiting for King AJ's decision, whether he is brave enough to get dethroned."

He had previously admitted that "there are no visible obstacles to the deal not to take place."

Joshua's proposed clash with Tyson Fury fell through in May, prompting the WBO to order the unified champion to fulfil his defence against Usyk.

The Ukrainian star has vowed to capture all the world heavyweight titles after becoming undisputed champion at cruiserweight.

For Spurs, this once again highlights just how impressive their stadium is and what it is capable of hosting. As well as its primary focus being to stage football matches, it also hosts NFL matches, meaning it is no stranger to big events away from football.

I can imagine the big screens and especially sound system being amazing for a boxing night.

I have to admit Spurs still seem to be missing a huge pro-supporter coup; offer first-choice event tickets to Spurs fans first, I know the promotors may have to think that through but ultimately they just want bums on seats and don't care where the money comes from...

Fury will be about 50 by the time that fight comes around!

The whole division is worried about AJ unifying all the belts like Lewis did after Don King spent years blocking him. That's not good for business.

I think Fury will end up flat on his back against Wilder, who will then spend 2 years running away from AJ again. In the mean time we might see the AJ vs Fury fight.

The whole division is worried about AJ unifying all the belts like Lewis did after Don King spent years blocking him. That's not good for business.

I think Fury will end up flat on his back against Wilder, who will then spend 2 years running away from AJ again. In the mean time we might see the AJ vs Fury fight.
That's the problem with too many Governing bodies and too many belts within these organisations. Look at the WBA for example;

Super Champion, Anthony Joshua
World Champion, Trevor Bryan
Champion in Recess, Mahmoud Charr
Interim Champion, Daniel Dubois
Gold Champion, Robert Helenius

Its crazy. Another example of the madness is in the 135 pound division (Lightweight). Teofimo Lopez is the IBF, WBA and WBO World Champion but even though he is recognised as the number 1 fighter by the WBC, he holds their Franchise Belt which the other governing bodies do not recognise. So Devin Haney, who is number 2 on the WBC rankings holds the belt that the other organisations recognise and is therefore the Champion in the eyes of the other organisations, while the WBC recognise Lopez as the Undisputed champion of the division.

You couldn't make this mess up.

Last edited:

Wilder is very lucky he is getting the 3rd fight. He won 2 rounds out of 20.

If Fury is focused and fit he wins as he is light years ahead of Wilder technically.

I'm intrigued to see if Wilder has learnt how to deal with a boxer that attacks though.

Wilder is very lucky he is getting the 3rd fight. He won 2 rounds out of 20.

If Fury is focused and fit he wins as he is light years ahead of Wilder technically.

I'm intrigued to see if Wilder has learnt how to deal with a boxer that attacks though.
The only way I can see Wilder winning is Fury complacency. As awful a technician as he is, Wilder does have the power to end any fight. Like you, though, I can't see anything but a Fury win.

As for AJ, he hasn't looked the same since his defeat to Ruiz.

He is playing it very safe in the ring at the moment.

The fight I'm more interested in is AJ vs Wilder.
I like the Joshua VS Usyk bout. Sure, AJ's size is a massive advantage, but like you said, he's a little shy since the Ruiz loss. I don't think he can outbox and outmove Usyk, so he may have to open up and hurt the Ukrainian, which could provide the ingredients for a good fight.

I have to admit Spurs still seem to be missing a huge pro-supporter coup; offer first-choice event tickets to Spurs fans first, I know the promotors may have to think that through but ultimately they just want bums on seats and don't care where the money comes from...
I'd imagine bodies like the NFL wouldn't want to have that when they are trying to broaden their European appeal by having UK games.

I like the Joshua VS Usyk bout. Sure, AJ's size is a massive advantage, but like you said, he's a little shy since the Ruiz loss. I don't think he can outbox and outmove Usyk, so he may have to open up and hurt the Ukrainian, which could provide the ingredients for a good fight.

Usyk is still a bit of an unknown at heavyweight.

He beat a good Cruiserweight in Bellew though so I'm again intrigued to see how he progresses against a higher calibre boxer in AJ.