Jose's tactics blamed for another draw. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jose's tactics blamed for another draw.

We are stronger however we're still vulnerable defensively. Last night was disappointing but not nearly as disappointing as throwing away a 3 goal lead in under 8 minutes. That takes some doing let me tell you. So until such time we recruit a top class CB, we'll continue to see these tactics employed by Jose like it or not.

We are stronger however we're still vulnerable defensively. Last night was disappointing but not nearly as disappointing as throwing away a 3 goal lead in under 8 minutes. That takes some doing let me tell you. So until such time we recruit a top class CB, we'll continue to see these tactics employed by Jose like it or not.

His tactics are costing us the win!!! Why can't you see that?!!

He's more interested in putting on a show with some pithy comments in the pre-match press conference than on the pitch, only this time it completely back-fired and Scottie made him look and sound like a complete dick.

Far too negative. I dont mind starting a game in the mode he did. However we need to win the 2nd half and he needs to dictate that with positive changes.

When you think about it, a manager's narrative created through a presser is so one way. Where else in life do you get to make those types of statements and not be challenged? Well that is exactly what happens every week in a presser.

I'd actually love a Spurs fans like Alasdair Gold to call BS on one of his answers.

"Come on Jose, we're all part of the football industry and know the game very well. We all know that after you failed to put the game to bed, your tactics sucked. You've just given us another bunch of feeble excuses. We've watched these stupid tactics game after game, week after week. Now can you please answer the question again and be straight and honest this time"

In fact, perhaps Levy has the right to ask those questions. Now I'm being totally stupid thinking Danny boy knows anything about football tactics !!!

The saving grace for the manager is not having to put up with the backlash from the crowd during match play time. It's a saving grace afaic...for both the coaching and playing stuff. Imagine the volume of vitriol and disdain that would be spewing in their direction if the fans had to turn up and watch the same thing happen time and time again.

The question about quality of player is very difficult to deny, ALL teams could argue they'd do better with a better player in a selected position the more important question to address is how well a coach can galvanise the resources he has at his disposal and turn them into a cohesive unit. JM had a free pass in his first season but has since benefitted from one of the most productive TW's any of our previous Managers has enjoyed in a long time.

Do I like him? No. Does he have my support? Always.

Never seen the point of calling for the Mangers head during a campaign, I regard it as counterproductive and tend to leave it to the BOO boys but I really hope we're not heading towards a downward spiral which ends up with the Manager alienating the dressing room (like he has at other clubs) to such an extent it makes his position untenable messing up the rest of the season and forcing DL's hand into financial situation we can ill afford.

Simples...the good teams that win shit...find a way a win...even when shit isn't going their way, whatever...they somehow find a way to get the damn result.

Spurs, time and again have proven to be NOT a team that finds a way to win when up against it...

I do blame much of this on JM and our system...I have said it before we are WAY too imbalanced in our approach...we are not adaptable, not flexible...we are stagnate, we are clinically inconsistent on the attack when given the opportunity and against a team with intelligent hard working players...we are very easy to defend. (Take a good angle and run with Sonny and push him out wide and wait for help....Kane...yeah not really a factor most of the time...and we really have no other members contributing for goals....easy peasy)

I am a defender and I would relish playing us...simple day at the office I think. A team like City, or Pool would be a flipping nightmare...they have multifaceted attacks, from the sides, down the channel...it can come from anywhere...

The saving grace for the manager is not having to put up with the backlash from the crowd during match play time. It's a saving grace afaic...for both the coaching and playing stuff. Imagine the volume of vitriol and disdain that would be spewing in their direction if the fans had to turn up and watch the same thing happen time and time again.

The question about quality of player is very difficult to deny, ALL teams could argue they'd do better with a better player in a selected position the more important question to address is how well a coach can galvanise the resources he has at his disposal and turn them into a cohesive unit. JM had a free pass in his first season but has since benefitted from one of the most productive TW's any of our previous Managers has enjoyed in a long time.

Do I like him? No. Does he have my support? Always.

Never seen the point of calling for the Mangers head during a campaign, I regard it as counterproductive and tend to leave it to the BOO boys but I really hope we're not heading towards a downward spiral which ends up with the Manager alienating the dressing room (like he has at other clubs) to such an extent it makes his position untenable messing up the rest of the season and forcing DL's hand into financial situation we can ill afford.
your answer is logical, the reason the boss decides to make change in the managerial position is why forums exist, his real reason for making such gravimetric decision is lost on most of us. Its fickle sport but the best part is the beer has improved

His tactics are costing us the win!!! Why can't you see that?!!

He's more interested in putting on a show with some pithy comments in the pre-match press conference than on the pitch, only this time it completely back-fired and Scottie made him look and sound like a complete dick.
There is some justification for him doing that. He has an aging CB, a player he's shoehorned into playing as a CB & a guy who he isn't quite ready to trust yet. Playing the block of Hojbjerg & Sissoko makes perfect sense in this instance, especially when considering our Spursy tag.

There is some justification for him doing that. He has an aging CB, a player he's shoehorned into playing as a CB & a guy who he isn't quite ready to trust yet. Playing the block of Hojbjerg & Sissoko makes perfect sense in this instance, especially when considering our Spursy tag.
Is our CB situation so bad? I think most Premier League clubs would be happy to be able to choose from Dier, Toby, Sanchez, Tanga and Rodon.

Top,

go back and look at the tactics that drove us up to sixth last season, and even this when we won and won well.

They are largely the same player's bar 2 or 3.

The West Ham debacle has affected his psyche and his judgement, he is not the same manager, his first thought now is more like 'we must not lose' rather we 'must win' and his approach his defensive tactics his game management reflect this.

It's already lost us 10 points that we shouldn't have, lose this game and he's on a par (points wise) when we sacked Poch - I've heard all the arguments - he needs another 4/5 windows to get 'his team', but that's a complete avoidance and understanding of what he is doing now and even looking forward, this is a man who is used to buying from the Top draw, (money no object) which for the next 3-4 seasons at Spurs isn't a financial reality. He has to prove he can still mold a team, which I've seen precious little evidence of lately.

If he can't manage what he's already got better than he is now, then we are in serious trouble.

Top,

go back and look at the tactics that drove us up to sixth last season, and even this when we won and won well.

They are largely the same player's bar 2 or 3.

The West Ham debacle has affected his psyche and his judgement, he is not the same manager, his first thought now is more like 'we must not lose' rather we 'must win' and his approach his defensive tactics his game management reflect this.

If he can't manage what he's already got better than he is now, then we are in serious trouble.

It has. How could it not when you throw away a 3 goal lead from an unassailable position with only 8 minutes to go. That's Spursy. We've had the Spursy tag thrown at us for close to 30 years now, it's time to put it to bed once & for all.

Given the option i'd have preferred Rafa when he became available a couple of years back. He also prefers a sound defensive structure, building from the back first & foremost. He wouldn't have been a popular choice either but i believe the choice we have made is the right move for the situation we now find ourselves in.

He has stuck rigidly to his principles over the years. Maybe he's set the bar too high for these players, who knows. Only time will tell, but if anybody can shed this infernal tag of ours i have to believe that he knows best. His record speaks for itself. If it fails, then the responsibility will ultimately lie with him.

Well if Jose's tactics changed as a direct consequence of the West Ham debacle then I think he's nuts. As bad as it was - and it doesn't get much worse - it was a one-off. A complete anomaly.

Since Jose has been here we've only conceded 3 goals in a league game on two other occasions. That's probably in the region of 50 league games. So whilst we clearly had defensive problems, it's not as though we were leaking goals every game.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

But he's an intelligent man. I'd like to think there was a wider plan going on here. There was always going to be a change in emphasis on tactics to make us harder to beat.

It's possible he was swayed by how successful these tactics were against City. Against a team like City - as a one-off - I can see the justification. But as a system to be employed in every match, irrespective of the calibre of the opposition, it's a failure.

It seemed an overly defensive set up against Fulham but we created some damn good chances to score, had one chalked off and hit the post. So it's not like the set up stifled opportunities, we just failed to convert. That's on the players, not Jose. The goal conceded was poor defending due to a lapse in concentration or pure lack of ability, I doubt anything to do with Jose either.

It seemed an overly defensive set up against Fulham but we created some damn good chances to score, had one chalked off and hit the post. So it's not like the set up stifled opportunities, we just failed to convert. That's on the players, not Jose. The goal conceded was poor defending due to a lapse in concentration or pure lack of ability, I doubt anything to do with Jose either.
I don't wish to flog this to death any more than it has been done already but you're cherry picking the tactics that support your argument and ignoring the ones that don't.

The tactics that enabled us to create the chances you refer to were part of the same tactical plan that saw us sit back and defend out lead for over an hour. A 1-0 lead in football is precarious at the best of times.

This is the fourth time this season we have led 1-0 at half time (Newcastle, Palace and Wolves) and sat back for the whole of the second half to defend it. On each occasion we have conceded a late goal and lost two points. Once is acceptable if you learn from it. This is down to Jose's tactics.

If you argue that the players are not good enough to defend a 1-0 lead then change the tactics. That again is down to Jose.

Well if Jose's tactics changed as a direct consequence of the West Ham debacle then I think he's nuts. As bad as it was - and it doesn't get much worse - it was a one-off. A complete anomaly.

Since Jose has been here we've only conceded 3 goals in a league game on two other occasions. That's probably in the region of 50 league games. So whilst we clearly had defensive problems, it's not as though we were leaking goals every game.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

But he's an intelligent man. I'd like to think there was a wider plan going on here. There was always going to be a change in emphasis on tactics to make us harder to beat.

It's possible he was swayed by how successful these tactics were against City. Against a team like City - as a one-off - I can see the justification. But as a system to be employed in every match, irrespective of the calibre of the opposition, it's a failure.

All I can think is whether the clue to Jose's wider plan was in the second half of the Liverpool game. Inevitably, something is lost in translation between what Jose is asking the players to do and how they then execute it. Jose must surely be expecting different outcomes, just like we are.

He clearly knows how to skin the cat differently. We all do. However, he clearly thinks sticking with his tactics until something resonates with his players is the way to get through it. If it doesn't, then he knows he'll be the one who has to adapt or lose his job.

We'll find out.

I don't wish to flog this to death any more than it has been done already but you're cherry picking the tactics that support your argument and ignoring the ones that don't.

The tactics that enabled us to create the chances you refer to were part of the same tactical plan that saw us sit back and defend out lead for over an hour. A 1-0 lead in football is precarious at the best of times.

This is the fourth time this season we have led 1-0 at half time (Newcastle, Palace and Wolves) and sat back for the whole of the second half to defend it. On each occasion we have conceded a late goal and lost two points. Once is acceptable if you learn from it. This is down to Jose's tactics.

If you argue that the players are not good enough to defend a 1-0 lead then change the tactics. That again is down to Jose.

My point was.....in spite of whatever the tactics were. We created plenty of chances. At least 3 in the second half including the off side goal and hitting the post.
I am talking about this game only not previous ones where Jose has twice said the plan was not to sit back. On one occasion he said....ask the players what I told them at half time.
Then he said if the players didnt do it, its because they couldnt do it. That can be interpreted in a few ways, either they are not good enough, or fit enough or the opponent was too good.
There are some of our players which fit into the cant do it category in my opinion.
Doherty, Aurier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Ndombele , Dele, Moura mainly for ability reasons or mentality.
Tanganga, Loco, Lamela, Bale for injury related reasons.
I may have missed some out but the picture does not look good.