• Time to say good bye

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Keep him till the summer

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Keep him forever

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
An accurate article:

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has a decision to make as Jose Mourinho’s reign reaches new low
Spurs’ chairman will have to consider Jose Mourinho’s future at the club after a dismal Europa League exit revealed glaring flaws in his coaching

Miguel Delaney
Chief Football Writer
@MiguelDelaney

A match that should have been a dead rubber could well prove fatal to Jose Mourinho’s time at Tottenham Hotspur.

Spurs’ defeat by Dinamo Zagreb should certainly give Daniel Levy an awful lot to think about. The nuclear option must be on his mind, given how central the Europa League had been to this season.

When Spurs suffered their first major slump in January – which is probably really still continuing – the boardroom rationale for persisting with Mourinho was that they were still in contention for three trophies as well as the top four.

The Europa League was seen as the big target, since it could deliver that long-awaited silverware, while offering a route back into the Champions League. It could have brought it all together. It might now be where it all falls apart.

That’s how bad this elimination was. The Europa League has gone with the FA Cup, and you wouldn’t back them in either the League Cup or Premier League after a performance like this.

Even before you get to the horror of a manager who bases his approach on defence seeing his team squander a 2-0 lead, or the farce that Dinamo Zagreb’s manager was in prison, there is the fact that they lost to a team from the league ranked 19th in Europe.

That just shouldn’t be happening. It is an embarrassment, probably Mourinho’s worst European elimination, and much worse than the nadir of that Champions League loss to Sevilla with Manchester United.

No arguments about the quality of the squad cut it when the opposition is this moderate. It points to something much deeper.

It shouldn’t be forgotten, either, that Mourinho had told Levy on getting the job that this Spurs’ squad could win the league.

They are playing far, far beneath that.

Many might point to Hugo Lloris’ form, or the disappointment of Matt Doherty, to go with a multitude of other complaints. Against that, you only have to consider a previous nadir for Spurs, which was a 4-0 destruction at the feet of Liverpool in April 2014. Jan Vertonghen looked a joke that day, the sort of player who should be the first in any clear-out. Under a different manager, he became one of the greatest centre-halves in the history of the club.

The point here isn’t to hark back to Mauricio Pochettino, or reach to an example of years ago. The point is the folly of buying into any ideas this is on the players, or to back Mourinho on a clear-out.

The truth of football – and especially modern football, which has so much more tactical variation – is that players can look totally different under a different manager. It would be a mistake to judge many under this.

This prolonged drop-off is the consequence of many aspects of Mourinho’s management that just aren’t top-level anymore.

There’s the man-management, which is of a confrontational approach from 15 years ago, that the modern player just doesn’t react to. Some have privately talked of how getting berated has sapped their confidence, exactly as happened at Manchester United and Chelsea. Is it any wonder they look so devoid of belief in such games?

There’s the coaching, particularly in attack, which some players have described as among the most “basic” they’ve come across. Is it any wonder they look so devoid of ideas in such games?

There’s then the tactics, which just seem so reactive, and defensive. Is it any wonder, well, we’re seeing this.

A potentially brutal reality for Levy is that maybe he got a big calculation wrong. It is possible Tottenham’s season was salvageable had they dispensed with Mourinho in January or February. The Premier League is that open. Their squad is that good, particularly in attack, where it’s excellent.

As it is, Levy will be hoping Mourinho can salvage this, and turn it around to win either the League Cup or scrape back into the Champions League. It almost feels like the chance of both are receding by virtue of him just being in the job.

If he is to turn this around, it is coming from an awfully low point. There is a strong argument this might be the worst defeat of his career, given the status, given the stakes, given the state of the game.

It isn’t beyond him to turn it around – depending on what the definition of that is. Mourinho still has some qualities, that have occasionally presented themselves this season.

Whether those qualities justify an upwardly mobile modern club persisting with him is another argument entirely, though. It’s got so bad that “turning it around”, or even somehow winning that League Cup, probably aren’t enough.

On that, the value of that trophy is questionable. The last managers to win it for Spurs were Juande Ramos and George Graham. They are very far off legends in the club’s history.

That was something that Levy had hoped for Mourinho. Right now, he has to consider something else entirely.
We could have probably all written this article, but it is absolutely on the mark.

There's an interview with Rafa Benitez in the press this morning and he says he wants to return to management in the Premier League. He says he's waiting for the right club. It's not about money - he says he's already very wealthy - it's about the challenge. Well, we can certainly provide the latter.

Totally cool if Rafa takes this clusterfuck of team over ASAP!!!!!

Totally cool if Rafa takes this clusterfuck of team over ASAP!!!!!
I wanted Rafa over Brenda and Jose.
I would prefer Brenda now. Although he has an ego as big as most in the dressing room and no real trophys to speak off (sorry Celtic).
I think Rafa will experience the same problems that our previous four or five managers have had.

I suspect Jose was probably being genuine at the time he said he had changed.

He'd been out of management for a year. He'd had time to mellow after what was a pretty tortuous spell at Old Trafford where he seemed to be at war from the day he walked in.

He probably looked at Tottenham and thought there would be far less pressure managing here than at Man U or Chelsea. Maybe the players would respect him more. Be in awe of his past achievements.

So at that moment in time he probably did feel good about himself and the role here.

But what happens when things don't go to plan? Maybe the players aren't as good as those you're used to working with. And what happens when they don't show you the respect you think your record deserves? Suddenly things start to unravel and instinctively you fall back on what you know and how you dealt with similar situations in the past. Except what worked in the past no longer works today. It seems to me this is where Jose is at. And right now he doesn't seem to have any answers.

I've been warning since we spoofed our way to the top that he was tactically clueless, but we'd been incredibly lucky and then of course our luck ran out and I could see how poorly we were being set up and how poor our game management was.

It cost us 10 points and down the league, we tumbled, and he really did look clueless and a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights, even now when he says our poor form in games 'makes no sense to him' - it's just another way of saying, I have no idea what's going on.

Credit where credits deserved, the man is human gaffer tape. If we had lost tonight I think it could have been curtains for him but he's gone into the International break with a good win.

Jose in all the post match interviews pushed home on the attitude of the players. He said it needs to be there all the time, not in reaction. He is not backing down. The players interviewed also agreed their attitude was not good enough in the last 2 games.

None of them mentioned the manager, it was for the club and their own pride. Jose said he didnt care why the players responded, he just expects them to do it as men and professionals. He implied Tanganga, Rodon and Vinicius carry no baggage and are simple and honest who appreciate wearing the shirt.

I have been saying that the players should perform irrespective of whether they like the manager. They should be professional and play for their employer.

Jose in all the post match interviews pushed home on the attitude of the players. He said it needs to be there all the time, not in reaction. He is not backing down. The players interviewed also agreed their attitude was not good enough in the last 2 games.

None of them mentioned the manager, it was for the club and their own pride. Jose said he didnt care why the players responded, he just expects them to do it as men and professionals. He implied Tanganga, Rodon and Vinicius carry no baggage and are simple and honest who appreciate wearing the shirt.

I have been saying that the players should perform irrespective of whether they like the manager. They should be professional and play for their employer.

Copy and paste every manager who is going through difficult results though. Poch, Sherwood, AVB, Harry etc. They all say/have said the same things when the results are poor and their jobs are on the line.

At the end of the day, it will always be a results business and excuses are treated as such. Jose is the one paid insane amounts of money to build a team and if this exact issue didn't follow him around like a bad smell from club to club then what he says might carry more weight.

Like I said earlier, based on stats he is very lucky to still be in a job because he is doing a worse job that AVB at present. It is always easier and cheaper to replace a manager that isn't working than it is to sell and replace a large portion of a squad that are, on the managers word, not doing what he says.

Copy and paste every manager who is going through difficult results though. Poch, Sherwood, AVB, Harry etc. They all say/have said the same things when the results are poor and their jobs are on the line.

At the end of the day, it will always be a results business and excuses are treated as such. Jose is the one paid insane amounts of money to build a team and if this exact issue didn't follow him around like a bad smell from club to club then what he says might carry more weight.

Like I said earlier, based on stats he is very lucky to still be in a job because he is doing a worse job that AVB at present. It is always easier and cheaper to replace a manager that isn't working than it is to sell and replace a large portion of a squad that are, on the managers word, not doing what he says.
All of our managers have been paid well.
As have our players.
None of them have really ever delivered.
Luka. Bale. Carrick. Beba. Have all left to go onto better things.
I can't think of many others.
Kane and Son now.
It's not always the manager.

Philip Brau Meister Morgan last 6 league games. 5 wins. Scored 11 conceded 3. . 1 was not a penalty. 1 own goal.
Ahead of Liverpool and arsenal. 3 points from 4th. And 7 from 3rd and a cup final to look forward too.

So 20 members voted. 15 would like to say good bye and 5 would give him a chance untill summer.
On the youtube comments under his press conference there are still a lot who believe in Jose. But I believe they are just Jose fans and dont care about spurs.

My verdict is done regardless of the outcome of the season. I really wanted him to succeed here. I was hoping he will bring the trophies. Well in November where we were 1st in the league, I was buying in to it. But now I cant see it anymore. Will see what happens in that final. For me reaching the CL final is still a bigger achievment than winning the Carabao. Those nights in Amsterdam and Manchester were just outstanding. It was the one time we were delivering when it matters.

The arse & Zagreb games were shocking as far as intensity & fight for the badge was concerned. I heard Harry talking and I would really have liked him to say 'along with many I was not giving my all' cos he/they weren't...and then explain why. As for jose, his subs yesterday screamed out 'my team wont keep going for the jugular ' can't see that ever changing and whilst I hope we go on a long winning run, for me he is not a good fit for us.

Jose OUT! no matter the outcome of this season and am an optimist lol!

He is the obligatory Square peg in a Round hole, just doesn't work.