Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 68 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

What was the plan with the subs ? Go on and score more goals I guess. If it was defend like feck, Doherty and Davies should have come on. I suggest we would have stood more chance of closing the game out with those two. Both are strong and good in the air.
Jose took the wrong route and deprived the team of the players to see out the 3-0. Instead he provided Bale and Moura to increase the lead, which failed.

Yeah, go and score more, kill the game. I like that from Mourinho having been horrified at the prospect of park the bus negative tripe from him.

There is no getting around the fact that at 3-0 with ten minutes left the game should be done and dusted. 90+ times out of a hundred that would have been the case. The last thing I want from Mourinho is more negativity.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you if the score were 2-1 or if the Spam had pulled a goal back prior to any of the subs being made, but that wasn't the case.

What has Jose tried to do with our defensive performance ?.
He has convinced Dier to move to CB.
Signed Hojbjerg, Reggie, Doherty and Rodon.
He has tried to get all players defending.
He ostracized Ndombele for lack of effort.
He sent Sess and Skipp out on loan because they need to play and are the future.
He signed Hart.
It may not all work but I think he is trying to build the defensive strength.

Signing players is one piece of the puzzle to address a weak defensive side.

The rest is done on the training ground.

Watch our CB's on corners and set pieces. Most of the time they can't jump, they all have mobility and agility issues. I question the position our CB's take on set pieces also. They seem to give the attackers too much room meaning they have the time and space to dictate the height of the jump.

Dier being moved back has achieved what exactly? 6 years later I'm still waiting for him to turn up. Mr average with a mistake in him every game.

With the clean sheet record we have his trying isn't good enough.

It’s amusing isn’t it? Loads of criticism about dour defensive football when our two key strikers were out and loads of predictions about Jose’s miserable brand of football....then he opens things up and in spite of playing some outstanding attacking football and scoring goals galore suddenly he doesn’t know how to shut a game down and wasn’t defensive enough.

I agree that the performance on Sunday suffered from a combination of complacency, poor tactical substitutions to achieve shutting the game down but mostly from a collection of poor performances from the players...the only thing West Ham had going for them was the driving force of sheer dislike for Spurs and a deep desire to fight their way to a result and our lads just didn’t have that fire in their bellies and paid the price.

Even when he went defensive we rarely kept clean sheets. So that doesn't wash.

I don't think anybody is expecting clean sheets every week, but nobody can deny our record is an abomination. Has been for 2 and a half years.

Even when he went defensive we rarely kept clean sheets. So that doesn't wash.

I don't think anybody is expecting clean sheets every week, but nobody can deny our record is an abomination. Has been for 2 and a half years.
I still think it’s more to do with the players than the tactics..

Winks has been making the same stupid foul in the same dangerous position game after game because he consistently gets the wrong side of players he is supposed to be covering....Aurier and Sanchez make the same stupid tackles from behind in critical areas time after time...as the games progress our MF goes missing leaving huge open spaces for the opposition to overload the defence...ok tactically we don’t have a coordinated, effective press just lone rangers chasing the ball against sides that pass and move, leveraging the space allowed them, but much of that is due to the lack of awareness/football intelligence of the individuals...there is a lot of coaching required to adjust for that but over the last few games better patterns of play are beginning to emerge particularly in the pass and move area and movement off the ball....what is still poor, with one notable exception, is brain dead passing, either too hard or too late, both leading to loss of possession and/or loss of momentum.

But I expect most of these aspects to improve as players get together, and hopefully build a collective will to win.

Winks is a tidy lil player but he lacks the minerals when it matters most. He's a squad player at best & should be used accordingly.

I can't help but think he's trying to be something that he's not at times and we get caught out as a result.

If we have Jose here as manager then I can accept that he won't always play the best football but that we will grind out results with a solid defense and midfield.

Playing with 2 attacking full backs, 5 forwards/attacking midfielders and then only Winks left in midfield just doesn't sound like a Jose team.

I just don't see the logic other than he is trying to compensate or trying to be attacking so resorts to just putting as many forwards on the pitch as possible. But we need to be smarter than that.

You need to have a midfield that controls the game all over the pitch so that we can have the build up play to feed the forwards. You can't just force the ball over the top every time. It becomes too predictable and teams will quickly learn to cope.

I can't help but think he's trying to be something that he's not at times and we get caught out as a result.

If we have Jose here as manager then I can accept that he won't always play the best football but that we will grind out results with a solid defense and midfield.

Playing with 2 attacking full backs, 5 forwards/attacking midfielders and then only Winks left in midfield just doesn't sound like a Jose team.

I just don't see the logic other than he is trying to compensate or trying to be attacking so resorts to just putting as many forwards on the pitch as possible. But we need to be smarter than that.

You need to have a midfield that controls the game all over the pitch so that we can have the build up play to feed the forwards. You can't just force the ball over the top every time. It becomes too predictable and teams will quickly learn to cope.
Absolutely right. You've nailed it.

Jose's comments after the game are baffling to me, as were the four subs at half time. Bear in mind, I couldn't watch the game so can't judge how poorly we played, but surely removing the four at half time and basically blaming them for the loss is out of order.

For Gio, Vinicius and Dele, lack of game time due to injury, being new at the club and being out of favour respectively is a major factor here. The first two are out of Jose's hands, but Dele's absence is on Mourinho. Would a half time rollicking not have sufficed and a chance for those lads to improve after the break?

Bale is in the same boat as Vin and Gio, and with Davies out of position and the ordinary Winks in midfield, should he not look in the mirror and cast some blame for picking that side?

Bergwijn looks shot of both confidence and form, so maybe that change was warranted, but Lucas isn't setting the world alight either. As I said, I (thankfully?) didn't get to see the game, but this seems like an extreme reaction and is just all wrong.

Kane refuses to go to play Wolfsberg and is right back in the team? How do you look the rest of the players in the eye after that? Kane needs to go.

But really? Jose? How does that work?

My most recent three 'predictions' on this site over the past week;
- West Ham to win today's game 2-1
- We will not finish in the top ten in the PL, as nobody associated with the Club, other than the fans, gives a toss about this seasons PL any longer.
- Spearheaded by Gareth Bale we will go deep in the Europa League, always Mourinho's first priority since the closing games of last season. Probably semi finals at worst, but we won't be good enough to win it.
Good odds on that treble. I'll throw in another one for the accumulator;
- Scott Parker, after keeping Fulham in the PL, assisted by Ledley King, will replace Mourinho in the summer.

Jose Mourinho claims Tottenham's problems run deeper than his position as manager
Tottenham suffered a 2-1 defeat to West Ham as their top four aspirations took another knock in what has been a difficult February

By
James Piercy
  • 17:00, 21 FEB 2021

Jose Mourinho has claimed an element of Tottenham Hotspur's plight is out of his control as there are problems at the club that he cannot fix by himself.

Spurs suffered their fifth defeat in their last six Premier League games on Sunday, falling 2-1 to London rivals West Ham United to leave themselves ninth and nine points adrift of the top four.

The first-half of the 2020/21 season was dominated by the conversation of Spurs being title contenders but their punishing form since the end of January has made that appear a distant memory.

Tottenham’s performances continue to be marked by individual errors in defence as Mourinho chops and changes his backline, while the goals have also dried up with just four in this challenging six-game period.

Speaking to BBC Match of the Day after the defeat at the London Stadium, Mourinho said: "I feel that we are not in the position in relation to our potential.

“Even if I think for a long, long time that we have problems in the team that I cannot resolve by myself as a coach.

"Our potential is higher than where we are so of course there is frustration. We should be in a better position.”

It’s hard to decipher exactly what Mourinho means with the above, in terms of who or what he’s specifically referring to that is preventing the team from reach its potential.

• After a busy summer of recruitment, albeit with Joe Rodon signed as the only reinforcement in central defence, January was quiet with Mourinho having to make do with what was already in the building.

There could also be the sense that for instructions, strategy and motivation Mourinho can instil in his team, individuals are perhaps not performing to the required levels of consistency.

Tottenham’s next three league fixtures are against Burnley, Fulham and Crystal Palace – all very much “winnable” - but before then is a Europa League date against Wolfsberger AC with Spurs 4-1 up and with one foot seemingly in the Round of 16.

Mourinho confesses that competition could represent Spurs’ most likely route into the Champions League, albeit with the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, AC Milan and Villarreal potentially in their way before the final on May 26.

“To think about a top four spot is getting very difficult,” Mourinho added.

“To play in the Europa League will give us a window of opportunity to get a Champions League spot by winning it. Of course, difficult, but it is possible."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/jose-mourinho-problems-tottenham-manager-19884601

Jose Mourinho claims Tottenham's problems run deeper than his position as manager
Tottenham suffered a 2-1 defeat to West Ham as their top four aspirations took another knock in what has been a difficult February

By
James Piercy
  • 17:00, 21 FEB 2021

Jose Mourinho has claimed an element of Tottenham Hotspur's plight is out of his control as there are problems at the club that he cannot fix by himself.

Spurs suffered their fifth defeat in their last six Premier League games on Sunday, falling 2-1 to London rivals West Ham United to leave themselves ninth and nine points adrift of the top four.

The first-half of the 2020/21 season was dominated by the conversation of Spurs being title contenders but their punishing form since the end of January has made that appear a distant memory.

Tottenham’s performances continue to be marked by individual errors in defence as Mourinho chops and changes his backline, while the goals have also dried up with just four in this challenging six-game period.

Speaking to BBC Match of the Day after the defeat at the London Stadium, Mourinho said: "I feel that we are not in the position in relation to our potential.

“Even if I think for a long, long time that we have problems in the team that I cannot resolve by myself as a coach.

"Our potential is higher than where we are so of course there is frustration. We should be in a better position.”

It’s hard to decipher exactly what Mourinho means with the above, in terms of who or what he’s specifically referring to that is preventing the team from reach its potential.

• After a busy summer of recruitment, albeit with Joe Rodon signed as the only reinforcement in central defence, January was quiet with Mourinho having to make do with what was already in the building.

There could also be the sense that for instructions, strategy and motivation Mourinho can instil in his team, individuals are perhaps not performing to the required levels of consistency.

Tottenham’s next three league fixtures are against Burnley, Fulham and Crystal Palace – all very much “winnable” - but before then is a Europa League date against Wolfsberger AC with Spurs 4-1 up and with one foot seemingly in the Round of 16.

Mourinho confesses that competition could represent Spurs’ most likely route into the Champions League, albeit with the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, AC Milan and Villarreal potentially in their way before the final on May 26.

“To think about a top four spot is getting very difficult,” Mourinho added.

“To play in the Europa League will give us a window of opportunity to get a Champions League spot by winning it. Of course, difficult, but it is possible."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/jose-mourinho-problems-tottenham-manager-19884601
Yeah, yeah, obviously it's someone else's fault, it always is.

I partially agree with Mourinho about Vertonghen's lack of replacement if that is what he's inferring. We play a square peg in a round hold there every week.