Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 61 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

Why though? After the West Ham game you started the 'How many points will we get from the remaining games' thread. At that point we had 45 points. You forecast another 14, so a total of 59. That's 3 off Leicester and Man U's current total.

To have have had a realistic chance we would have had to won at least 7 of the 9 remaining games after project restart, including Man U. That was a really tall order. And not beating Man U effectively put the kibosh on that.

Good point, I always temper my views of what will happen, but simply looked at our games and everyone back and thought we could do so much better than this...as I said, Top 4 was my hope and it looked doable, if we were playing well, but...

This isn't a fact. We had a much easier run in (fixtures wise) than we did start of season so the comparison isn't fair.

It's a bit like people saying we'd have won the CL final if Jose was in charge, might be true but I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have got to it in the first place with him at the helm.

Okay then I will re word it. The reality is we would have more points. We were 14th when Poch left I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been that low if Jose was in charge from the start.

Okay then I will re word it. The reality is we would have more points. We were 14th when Poch left I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been that low if Jose was in charge from the start.

You may well be right but that's a prediction based on feeling rather than a fact. Sorry just seeing loads of Poch slander stated as "facts" all over the place when for all we know he'd have righted the ship if he stayed. I think I'm right in saying we've actually only made up 1 point on 4th (we were 5 behind when Poch was sacked and we're 4 behind now).

It's like people saying it's a fact we lost the final because Kane started over Lucas, when up until last few games you were more likely to have Lucas dribble into opponents for 90 minutes giving the ball away than score match winning goals. It might be right, it might be wrong, but it's definitely not a "fact".

Credit where it's due Jose has now tightened us up at the back, something I thought he'd do soon as he came in but obviously struggled to take over part way into the season, so yes we might be 4th if he'd been involved from the start... but it's still not a fact.

So..... AFTER PUTTING UP THIS THREAD AFTER JOSE BECAME COACH, WHAT DO WE NOW THINK? After the last game opinion MUST have shifted in different directions. MY OWN OPINION? Well I’m personally still not that happy with him as manager. I don’t particularly like his style of play, especially when we draw or lose, those games seem to be lacklustre affairs with demotivated looking players who tackle badly and cant string passes together without getting them intercepted. I spend most of my time in those games growling at the screen.

BUT. ........ IF HE PROVES ME WRONG AND WE COME OUT OF THE BLOCKS NEXT SEASON WITH WINNING STRATEGIES AND WE GO TO THE TOP?.... I’ll concede.

I’m just frustrated with Mourinho. In fairness to Pochettino we had a manager who mostly would make changes and get us last minute goals etc. I think Pochettino was a hard act to follow. I wonder if we had kept him what would have happened, would new players of his choice made us a top team again ... and better? I don’t know but, that’s past and not relevant any more.

SO LETS MOVE ON. Maybe Mourinho has needed to focus more. I don’t think he was focused when he first came to us. Top four would now be miraculous and would need teams above us to lose all their games and us to beat Palace. To be honest I don’t care so much if we lose out on European matches, I would just like us to focus on FA Cup and league title and cup and build solidly. SO GET ON WITH IT MOURINHO, THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE FROM ME. CONVINCE ME AND ILL BE YOUR BIGGEST FAN.

You may well be right but that's a prediction based on feeling rather than a fact. Sorry just seeing loads of Poch slander stated as "facts" all over the place when for all we know he'd have righted the ship if he stayed. I think I'm right in saying we've actually only made up 1 point on 4th (we were 5 behind when Poch was sacked and we're 4 behind now).

It's like people saying it's a fact we lost the final because Kane started over Lucas, when up until last few games you were more likely to have Lucas dribble into opponents for 90 minutes giving the ball away than score match winning goals. It might be right, it might be wrong, but it's definitely not a "fact".

Credit where it's due Jose has now tightened us up at the back, something I thought he'd do soon as he came in but obviously struggled to take over part way into the season, so yes we might be 4th if he'd been involved from the start... but it's still not a fact.

But we were 14th when Poch was sacked. It wasn't just about the points gap for 4th. It was to do with Poch averaging just over a point a game for nearly a year.

Pretty sure I saw a league table for a Jan-Jan in 2019 and we would have been around 16th.

The bloke should have resigned after the CL final.

But we were 14th when Poch was sacked. It wasn't just about the points gap for 4th. It was to do with Poch averaging just over a point a game for nearly a year.

Pretty sure I saw a league table for a Jan-Jan in 2019 and we would have been around 16th.

The bloke should have resigned after the CL final.

I think t's fair to say Poch had run out of idea's and had had too many injuries and disruptions, but equally, he was starting we all knew what would have to happen, a comprehensive rebuild, then even that slipped because of injuries to the new blokes, only we can buy three new players in a record spend and have all three not be fit...

He's a very good coach and will show that again when he takes over at the barcodes; sometimes the stars just don't align for you no matter what you do.

Last edited:
I think t's fair to say Poch had run out of idea's and had had too many injuries and disruptions, but equally, he was starting we all knew what would have to happen, a comprehensive rebuild, that even that slipped because of injuries to the new blokes, only we can buy three new players in a record spend and have all three not be fit...

He's a very good coach and will show that again when he takes over at the barcodes; sometimes the stars just don't align for you no matter what you do.

That 2018 transfer window was always going to come back and bite him in the ass. "I schooled Levy" will always stick with me.

It showed his ego and I just knew after the FA Cup semi Final loss to United he was never going to deliver the goods here. Don't get me started with Son as a LWB either.

That 2018 transfer window was always going to come back and bite him in the ass. "I schooled Levy" will always stick with me.

It showed his ego and I just knew after the FA Cup semi Final loss to United he was never going to deliver the goods here. Don't get me started with Son as a LWB either.

Please don't ever mention that again - whatever Poch saw on the training pitch was nothing like the 'mare of Son at LWB!

Please don't ever mention that again - whatever Poch saw on the training pitch was nothing like the 'mare of Son at LWB!

It's a shame Poch didn't spend way more time forcing Son to play at LB on the training pitch. Whilst he should never have played there in an FA Cup semi-final, drilling that thought process into Son years ago could have saved us a lot of goals. He's been culpable so many times over the last few seasons. I hope Jose goes to town on him until he gets it.

My wife just made a point that may be relevant. (Yes I know but bear with me, her indoors has the odd flash of wisdom, like the new colour choices of our players boots to confuse the opposition?). She says Matilde was seriously ill with complications from a previous operation, which ‘knocked him sideways’ and he was flying back and fore to home to see her for a while, a couple of years ago, which must have been a huge upset in his life. So there you have it, if he went off the boil, that’s why. Don’t argue with the missus , she’s never wrong, anyway she thinks he’s great looking, so you won’t convince her otherwise, he’s just a great manager in her eyes.
As I’ve said recently, maybe he’s focusing more now, he’s getting on top of things hopefully. So everything’s good? Then he goes and signs DIRE for a 4 new year deal!!! But don’t tell the wife, she’ll now tell you Dier must be the best, of course brown eyes knows what he’s doing.

Last edited:
Jose hasn't been here long and that has been under adverse circumstance. But even in that period he has improved quite a few players. Both in mentality and positional use. I'm sure there is work being done with players in training also both technically and physically. Skipp being an example who is being bulked up.
Aurier has a different mindset although still prone to error. Dier is reborn. Sanchez is more disciplined, Davies more aggressive, Winks is more defined in his role, Loco more tenacious, Son is gradually thinking about defending, Moura is a different player and so on.

Jose has transformed our season. We were treading water but now we're coming back with a bang. If only we hadn't had all those injuries.

If he can take us out of this season on a high, next will bode well for him and for us.

He's only taking a very short break, so leaving after all the players and staff do and coming back before all of them to his rooms in the lodge.

That's leadership and dedication. He has my utter respect for doing it, that makes him totally worthy of our total support imho.

No question his brand of playing so far will be at times tough to stomach and I pray he helps us evolve, if he does that, then he might just might stick some silver in that new, but dusty cabinet.

Jose has announced there will be a coaching position available this summer as one of his staff is leaving. It's a tactical coach role and Ryan Mason is thought to have a chance as Jose says it will be covered in house.