Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 52 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

My issue with Jose isn't so much with him. I dont dislike him as a character and when he is just talking about football he is an interesting guy.

My main issue with Jose, is actually not his fault as I feel Levy should never have employed him. His teams play the exact opposite to Poch's so the change in style was going to be disruptive. You cannot undo 6 years of club mentality and turn it on its head without dismantling it first.

Mourinho does not suit Spurs, even if he was still considered the best. Just by hiring a "winner" doesn't mean you will by default turn into winners. I think too many people at the club and in the stands were too desperate for success and Jose was an easy hire because of his CV.

As far as I'm concerned, Levy's lack of support for Poch during our best times, mixed with Levy's inaction when Poch was talking garbage leading up to the CL final and then topped off with the wrong action with hiring Jose has caused the club to totally go backwards. Not a little bit either.

Levy really has messed up this time and I cannot see how we dig ourselves out of this now.

My issue with Jose isn't so much with him. I dont dislike him as a character and when he is just talking about football he is an interesting guy.

My main issue with Jose, is actually not his fault as I feel Levy should never have employed him. His teams play the exact opposite to Poch's so the change in style was going to be disruptive. You cannot undo 6 years of club mentality and turn it on its head without dismantling it first.

Mourinho does not suit Spurs, even if he was still considered the best. Just by hiring a "winner" doesn't mean you will by default turn into winners. I think too many people at the club and in the stands were too desperate for success and Jose was an easy hire because of his CV.

As far as I'm concerned, Levy's lack of support for Poch during our best times, mixed with Levy's inaction when Poch was talking garbage leading up to the CL final and then topped off with the wrong action with hiring Jose has caused the club to totally go backwards. Not a little bit either.

Levy really has messed up this time and I cannot see how we dig ourselves out of this now.

I agree with that 95% the only part I don't agree with is that I really dislike Jose.He is all me me me.When he has a disagreement with some other manager or pundit it's always the same."how many titles , trophies have you won I have won" that is completely disrespectful of what other people have accomplished.Plus when he had a go at Ronaldo and Hazard who are true pro's.That done it for me
I agree if Jose is to be successful here he will have to sell nearly everyone as most are not suited to his outdated style.

For me as others JM is wrong for Spurs, I believe with a couple more additions there is a bloody good team awaiting the "kiss of Life" to wake them up and thus adding fight/work rate/pride blah blah, all missing last night, who this prince or princess is to give that "Kiss" is, i have no idea.

Further JM has been out thought by 3 rookie Prem Lge managers, Lampard Chavs, Wilder SU and Olly Mu, correct me if I am wrong, but this leads to questions is JM a has-been? has he been left behind in modern football? do the players not want him? my head is screaming YES to all 3, plus there are more questions than answers.

Jose is 100% the wrong person for this job.He is everything opposite that most of us want in a manager.If it was not for his past then everyone would jump on his back.He is doing everything wrong.Dropping our best CB 's and playing died who we have all watched be shit for seasons and just because the self proclaimed special one says he is good people fall for it.Honestly po please tell me if you can see a improvement in any player since Jose arrived.There is not one.The players all look scared.

I hope that he has a clause in his contract dropping his wages if he doesn't get us into Europe.

Just hearing this from one players agent; throwing players under a bus has meant no one trusts him, it's the issue I said it was, and it hasn't changed.
If the players aren't playing for him because of that then he probably has to go. But I remember Poch publicly calling out Sissoko for not applying himself in training - and excluding him from the squad - and the players accepted it as did the fans.

If the players aren't playing for him because of that then he probably has to go. But I remember Poch publicly calling out Sissoko for not applying himself in training - and excluding him from the squad - and the players accepted it as did the fans.

There is a clear difference between calling someone out for a performance and calling them out because he ruled himself out for injury - players know that if the manager won't protect them, they can't trust him.

Not one of them now trusts him.

He has managed to exacerbate the problem, not fix it.
Not really. These aren't chidren he's talking to, they're grown men. They have talent but they lack the character to push on & give a good account of themselves. The lack of hunger in their displays is proof of the pudding. Players need to be called out & whilst everybody's acting all nicey-nicey & holding hands with each other, we're faltering. The club needs a strong voice & we sure aren't getting that from anyone on the pitch atm.

There is a clear difference between calling someone out for a performance and calling them out because he ruled himself out for injury - players know that if the manager won't protect them, they can't trust him.

Not one of them now trusts him.
I agree with you on the difference between the two. But I thought your point was that managers should never call their players out in public rather than it being acceptable in certain circumstances.

I think it's too simplistic though to blame all of our problems on one single element i.e. none of the players trust Jose. Is there even any evidence of that?

Last night's problems were the same very same problems we saw under Poch. And I didn't see a lack of application from most of the players. What I did see was some very poor execution and decision making. And then the mental fragility after going a goal down. There's nothing new there though.

I have doubts about many of these players now. And I doubt there are many managers out there at all who could turn this current squad into a top 4 team again. Jose is not the only problem here.

Much has been said about Jose's antiquated tactics. But shortly after his appointment he took on João Sacramento as his Assistant Head Coach. He came with a formidable reputation as a young coach with radical ideas on the modern game. Part of his remit was to update Jose's approach. I'd like to know what influence, if any, he has had on Jose?

Jose has until at least the end of the season and a transfer window ahead of him. Let's see how it pans out before pulling the trigger. I was gutted after the result yesterday and I can lay some blame at Jose. I didnt see players not wanting to play for him. If that is the case, the poor final third play and defence was deliberate which is on the players and unforgivable.

If the players are in get rid of the manager mode, that is exactly how they were with Poch...to my mind if true it just shows that there is a bad element amongst the players that still resides from the Poch era.

it’s interesting that this info comes from one player’s agent and hence could well be politicised to put it politely.

I have been solidly behind Jose but after a lengthy break when ideas could be communicated in spite of the Covid restrictions, where time on the training pitch has been plentiful for an experienced manager to drill his players, to see the resultant team selection and performance last night says that he is failing on all fronts...motivation, selection and tactics...and his stubbornness tegarding certain players is unbelievable..

The best organised team he has put out was against Utd, at least for 60 minutes or so...he hasn’t selected the same team since....a blind man could see that Aurier is absolutely hopeless and Davies not much better...we have Sess apparently suffering a crisis of confidence and needs games, we must have Skipp, Cirkin and Verts who must be better bets than those two.

Then there is the MF crowd...LoCo,Winks,Sissoko,Alli,Lamela,ND....are they supposed to play as a two, three or four and then the strikers...Kane, Son, Berg and Moura...do any of them understand their roles...do they even practice linking up, moving off the ball etc.

In short, we are a shambles, lacking players with character and lacking any visible signs of tactical improvement....

A clear out needs to happen but is problematical given our debt mountain and as has been said at the time of Poch’s departure, it’s cheaper to replace one man than a squad although the consequences may well be more expensive in the longer term.

Much has been said about Jose's antiquated tactics. But shortly after his appointment he took on João Sacramento as his Assistant Head Coach. He came with a formidable reputation as a young coach with radical ideas on the modern game. Part of his remit was to update Jose's approach. I'd like to know what influence, if any, he has had on Jose?
None at all by the looks of it...

I agree with you on the difference between the two. But I thought your point was that managers should never call their players out in public rather than it being acceptable in certain circumstances.

I think it's too simplistic though to blame all of our problems on one single element i.e. none of the players trust Jose. Is there even any evidence of that?

Last night's problems were the same very same problems we saw under Poch. And I didn't see a lack of application from most of the players. What I did see was some very poor execution and decision making. And then the mental fragility after going a goal down. There's nothing new there though.

I have doubts about many of these players now. And I doubt there are many managers out there at all who could turn this current squad into a top 4 team again. Jose is not the only problem here.
If the players are in get rid of the manager mode, that is exactly how they were with Poch...to my mind if true it just shows that there is a bad element amongst the players that still resides from the Poch era.

it’s interesting that this info comes from one player’s agent and hence could well be politicised to put it politely.

I have been solidly behind Jose but after a lengthy break when ideas could be communicated in spite of the Covid restrictions, where time on the training pitch has been plentiful for an experienced manager to drill his players, to see the resultant team selection and performance last night says that he is failing on all fronts...motivation, selection and tactics...and his stubbornness tegarding certain players is unbelievable..

The best organised team he has put out was against Utd, at least for 60 minutes or so...he hasn’t selected the same team since....a blind man could see that Aurier is absolutely hopeless and Davies not much better...we have Sess apparently suffering a crisis of confidence and needs games, we must have Skipp, Cirkin and Verts who must be better bets than those two.

Then there is the MF crowd...LoCo,Winks,Sissoko,Alli,Lamela,ND....are they supposed to play as a two, three or four and then the strikers...Kane, Son, Berg and Moura...do any of them understand their roles...do they even practice linking up, moving off the ball etc.

In short, we are a shambles, lacking players with character and lacking any visible signs of tactical improvement....

A clear out needs to happen but is problematical given our debt mountain and as has been said at the time of Poch’s departure, it’s cheaper to replace one man than a squad although the consequences may well be more expensive in the longer term.
Agree with most of this, which largely emphasises the fact that we are a shambles. As you rightly point out, Mourinho has had a lot of time recently, something that he claimed not to have had pre lock down, to work with the team collectively and individually in order to install the disciplines, organisation and tactical expertise that he is famous for. He has failed at Spurs on all counts.
Mourinho will always divide, the level of controversy he generates increases annually, as the performances of him and his teams steadily decline.
Even now there is probably pretty much a fifty fifty split between fans who are increasingly convinced that his appointment was a mistake, and those who believe that we will come right under him.
My view, although I can understand the alternative view if not agreeing with it, is that it will be a huge gamble to give him a closed season with such transfer kitty as may be available, only to find that nothing changes and we need to get rid of him by the end of the year. We have to write this season off, but need to recover to being at the very least a top six Club, and we need to do that next season.

Agree with most of this, which largely emphasises the fact that we are a shambles. As you rightly point out, Mourinho has had a lot of time recently, something that he claimed not to have had pre lock down, to work with the team collectively and individually in order to install the disciplines, organisation and tactical expertise that he is famous for. He has failed at Spurs on all counts.
Mourinho will always divide, the level of controversy he generates increases annually, as the performances of him and his teams steadily decline.
Even now there is probably pretty much a fifty fifty split between fans who are increasingly convinced that his appointment was a mistake, and those who believe that we will come right under him.
My view, although I can understand the alternative view if not agreeing with it, is that it will be a huge gamble to give him a closed season with such transfer kitty as may be available, only to find that nothing changes and we need to get rid of him by the end of the year. We have to write this season off, but need to recover to being at the very least a top six Club, and we need to do that next season.

We have no chance of top 6 next season with this motley crew...