Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 67 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

Sometimes he appears caught betwixt and between. His instinct is to go with what he knows and has been successful with but in the knowledge that the game has moved on and the tried and trusted methods are no longer relevant in the modern game.

Having said that he was regularly successful over a period of 15 years prior to his coming to Spurs when the game was also continually evolving and he achieved this success in four different countries. So he's not as one-dimensional as he always portrayed.

Agreed. It's similar to Spursy. It's a narrative everyone tends to default to. He's still in his first year with what is effectively a very different squad as of two weeks ago.

The Bale sub was pretty much forced on him and almost paid off.

As you get older, a good history will get you into most positions, but it won't keep you there - renewing your approach and showing the same level of leadership, Tactical awareness and commitment might, except when the game moves on and you haven't got the skills to move with it.

His game management is so erratic, it's infuriating.

I agree but he's not an old over the hill manager who won it all 20 years ago, he's 57 and in the last 10 years alone has won the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A plus domestic trophies in everyone on them leagues and probably most impressive out the lot winning trophies for a Man Utd team 3 years ago who were terrible.

He's not perfect but there ain't many managers out there who is, like I've said from the start if we want to start winning titles then we need a winner in and I guarantee he will deliver if given the time.

I agree but he's not an old over the hill manager who won it all 20 years ago, he's 57 and in the last 10 years alone has won the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A plus domestic trophies in everyone on them leagues and probably most impressive out the lot winning trophies for a Man Utd team 3 years ago who were terrible.

He's not perfect but there ain't many managers out there who is, like I've said from the start if we want to start winning titles then we need a winner in and I guarantee he will deliver if given the time.

Oh for anything to be guaranteed at Spurs!

With how we concede goals late can anyone blame him for reverting to a defensive mindset if we get a decent lead.? He did say he doesn't agree with the Spursy tag based on this season.

With how we concede goals late can anyone blame him for reverting to a defensive mindset if we get a decent lead.? He did say he doesn't agree with the Spursy tag based on this season.

You're 3-0 up.

Given our ability to be 'Spursey' I'd beat into everyone's heads that teh first half means jack shit and we should go out there and play like we're behind - this is a team that has a history of humiliating us when it matters.

So no, I wouldn't allow myself or the players to fall into a defensive mindset - it's when we do that, that we go all 'Spursey'.

We should have got up for it and angry and choked teh life out of them instead of sitting back and changing our formation to give them all the space in the world; conceeding space is what created the opportunity to punish us, whether intentionally or by our own poor defensive play.

So, when you have the attcking prowess we have - f*****ing avoid it!!

You're 3-0 up.

Given our ability to be 'Spursey' I'd beat into everyone's heads that teh first half means jack shit and we should go out there and play like we're behind - this is a team that has a history of humiliating us when it matters.

So no, I wouldn't allow myself or the players to fall into a defensive mindset - it's when we do that, that we go all 'Spursey'.

We should have got up for it and angry and choked teh life out of them instead of sitting back and changing our formation to give them all the space in the world; conceeding space is what create the opportunity to punish us, whether intentionally or by our own poor defensive play.

Totally agree...we should have got 5 or 6 .....even against Manure we took the foot off the gas and should have got 8 or 9 ...we are just not of the mindset to win the PL (yet?)...both opportunities to put the fear of the gods into the other PL teams....

You're 3-0 up.

We should have got up for it and angry and choked teh life out of them instead of sitting back and changing our formation to give them all the space in the world; conceeding space is what created the opportunity to punish us, whether intentionally or by our own poor defensive play.

I can feel your frustration three days after the event; this one will take time for you to get over. Anyway, what you say is right.

You're 3-0 up.

Totally agree, we need to be ruthless and with our current attackers we can be ruthless. Lets hope this shocking result will give them all a re think on how we move forward from now on, at least we wont be complacent if we get in the same position again I suppose. (the fans never do)

You're 3-0 up.

How many chances did we have in the second half ?

Prove the first half wasn't a fluke...in reality the first 20 min...!

As much as I try to tell folks that..."No I promise...we really are the team you saw in the first 20 min...", the more they prove me wrong!

Honestly I do think we can be that team....it is a mentality, a culture change. We simply are not/have not been the team that wants to fucking destroy and humiliate teams. (I for one am all for it...)

We had Hammers on the ground with our feet on their throat....we could have put them to the sword easily...instead we took our foot off their throat, reached out our hand, helped them up, dusted them off, turned around and let them have their way. (wanted to be vulgar there...but decided to be nice)

Winning culture, winning mentality...it will take time...we don't have it yet. And Ex I agree, it starts with coaching....and I would argue ownership as well.

We took our foot off the pedal & it cost us. Yes we had the opportunities to kill them off but we didn't deliver the killer punch when they were rocking. We need to be more ruthless. I didn't see that against the Spam, in fact it was the complete opposite.

You're 3-0 up.

Couldn't agree more. We're not even good at playing defensive, that's why we become all Spursy. We are rubbish at parking the bus. Our bus is made of wet paper.

Keep your foot on the gas and keep humiliating the opposition. If we can do that for the first 20 mins, we can do it for the entire game. That's what they are paid to do.

I'm not sure how it's possible to be one of the most successful managers of all time and be over hyped?

Maybe because he had the money and tools to be successful. As Pep said you can only win trophies on a regular basis with financial backing.

Also I don't care what he has achieved in the past now, he is our manager and I will judge him on his time here.

If he is great he will win us a trophy this season and more the following season.

The fact he hasn't addressed our defensive frailties tells me he has flaws.

Maybe because he had the money and tools to be successful. As Pep said you can only win trophies on a regular basis with financial backing.

Also I don't care what he has achieved in the past now, he is our manager and I will judge him on his time here.

If he is great he will win us a trophy this season and more the following season.

What has Jose tried to do with our defensive performance ?.
He has convinced Dier to move to CB.
Signed Hojbjerg, Reggie, Doherty and Rodon.
He has tried to get all players defending.
He ostracized Ndombele for lack of effort.
He sent Sess and Skipp out on loan because they need to play and are the future.
He signed Hart.
It may not all work but I think he is trying to build the defensive strength.

Despite us clearly not being good enough defensively still I do think we've improved, it's just silly little individual mistakes which are costing us, as a whole defensive unit we don't look bad.

I'm sure as the season goes on we will continue to improve.

It’s amusing isn’t it? Loads of criticism about dour defensive football when our two key strikers were out and loads of predictions about Jose’s miserable brand of football....then he opens things up and in spite of playing some outstanding attacking football and scoring goals galore suddenly he doesn’t know how to shut a game down and wasn’t defensive enough.

I agree that the performance on Sunday suffered from a combination of complacency, poor tactical substitutions to achieve shutting the game down but mostly from a collection of poor performances from the players...the only thing West Ham had going for them was the driving force of sheer dislike for Spurs and a deep desire to fight their way to a result and our lads just didn’t have that fire in their bellies and paid the price.

Apparently "That's football" is now a valid tactical response btw. That comment always annoys me, no matter who says it. If "That's football" was a valid point, teams would never dominate and lower table teams would not be consistently lower table.

We can't really blame anything on "Spursyness" at the moment either because I have always been convinced that 90% of that condition is fan-induced.

Apparently "That's football" is now a valid tactical response btw. That comment always annoys me, no matter who says it. If "That's football" was a valid point, teams would never dominate and lower table teams would not be consistently lower table.

We can't really blame anything on "Spursyness" at the moment either because I have always been convinced that 90% of that condition is fan-induced.

THIS!!!!!

It’s amusing isn’t it? Loads of criticism about dour defensive football when our two key strikers were out and loads of predictions about Jose’s miserable brand of football....then he opens things up and in spite of playing some outstanding attacking football and scoring goals galore suddenly he doesn’t know how to shut a game down and wasn’t defensive enough.

I agree that the performance on Sunday suffered from a combination of complacency, poor tactical substitutions to achieve shutting the game down but mostly from a collection of poor performances from the players...the only thing West Ham had going for them was the driving force of sheer dislike for Spurs and a deep desire to fight their way to a result and our lads just didn’t have that fire in their bellies and paid the price.

I agree and was thinking the same thing myself. Damned if you do and damned if you don't springs to mind.

Lets take a look at the subs made for example. Bale for the poor Bergwin with 18 minutes left, 3-0 up. Winks for the tiring NDombele at the same stage. Sorry, but they are both completely logical to me. Final sub was Moura for Son with 10 minutes left, still 3 up. That's not my favourite substitution, but when it happened on Sunday there were no alarm bells ringing for me at all. Only in hindsight can anyone say otherwise and is just plain old Monday morning quarterbacking.

There was absolutely no reason for us to not go on and win the game at that stage.

Also, I watched a clip from from the All Or Nothing doc where Mourinho gave a team talk at half time. We were similarily 3-0 up at home to Burnley. His message to the players? No complacency. The game isn't over. Burnley are still going to fight. Make it a collective effort to keep a clean sheet.

I cannot believe the message would have been any different on Sunday's half time talk. I'm afraid this capitulation is on the players, and if anyone wants to give Mourinho flak, then the players on the pitch deserve it tenfold more.

I agree and was thinking the same thing myself. Damned if you do and damned if you don't springs to mind.

Lets take a look at the subs made for example. Bale for the poor Bergwin with 18 minutes left, 3-0 up. Winks for the tiring NDombele at the same stage. Sorry, but they are both completely logical to me. Final sub was Moura for Son with 10 minutes left, still 3 up. That's not my favourite substitution, but when it happened on Sunday there were no alarm bells ringing for me at all. Only in hindsight can anyone say otherwise and is just plain old Monday morning quarterbacking.

There was absolutely no reason for us to not go on and win the game at that stage.

Also, I watched a clip from from the All Or Nothing doc where Mourinho gave a team talk at half time. We were similarily 3-0 up at home to Burnley. His message to the players? No complacency. The game isn't over. Burnley are still going to fight. Make it a collective effort to keep a clean sheet.

I cannot believe the message would have been any different on Sunday's half time talk. I'm afraid this capitulation is on the players, and if anyone wants to give Mourinho flak, then the players on the pitch deserve it tenfold more.

What was the plan with the subs ? Go on and score more goals I guess. If it was defend like feck, Doherty and Davies should have come on. I suggest we would have stood more chance of closing the game out with those two. Both are strong and good in the air.
Jose took the wrong route and deprived the team of the players to see out the 3-0. Instead he provided Bale and Moura to increase the lead, which failed.