Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 36 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

Yes, but let's not all start pretending Davies is world class. He simply isn't. He's a steady Eddie who has a good football brain and is a very good passer from the back, but not so good in the final third.

Also, Jose is clearly saying these things to divert attention from his true tactics. He has more tactical plays than just the one he explained and I have a feeling Bergwijn might start to enable them.

First, Davies is a way better player than you've giving him credit for, and he is the prototype on the hybrid LB/LCB Jose wants to employ. And his effectiveness in the attacking 3rd is GROSSLY underrated.

Second, not sure is clear he is saying anything here other than exactly what he means. Doesn't have to be some conspiracy to cover up inadequecies.

RSess/Son/ Bergwyn now all three can roam that underloaded side, and that'd be fun to watch.

I've heard a story about how this all came about, and this ^^^ explanation fits right in with that tale. So I beleive it.

I like Davies. Solid and reliable which is what full backs are about.

Give me a Steady Eddie over a dumb athlete any day.

3 years ago for me Davies was one of the best LBs in the league.

I'm intrigued to see Bergwinj play in front of him.

Davies is 27 in April and has 4 years left on his contract.

Aaron's, Toby, Sanchez, Davies

I would be happy with that back line for a season.

Be interesting to see how the press are with Jose now that Pep and City are no longer the media darlings they once were.
The public love an underdog and a redemption story. Even more so if he has a shit hairdresser.
The tide may well be turning my friends.... watch this space...

Be interesting to see how the press are with Jose now that Pep and City are no longer the media darlings they once were.
The public love an underdog and a redemption story. Even more so if he has a shit hairdresser.
The tide may well be turning my friends.... watch this space...
I think you are right about the last statement.

Here's a starting article that gets the ball rolling..
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-and-tottenham-set-for-champions-league-place

I fully support Mourinho but....he has said he learned a lot from his time out of the game after being sacked at UTD but we are starting to see the same problems that he had there with his apparent insistence of forcing players to play a defensive system that doesn’t play to their strengths.

When OGS took over he unloosed the attacking potential with a free flowing approach that the players bought into, and even though the squad had many deficiencies which surfaced later and this season, they went on a long run of undefeated games.

So, the question for me is has Mourinho really learned any lessons or is he going to remain stuck in a single approach that isn’t working or is he going to realise that because he doesn’t have the players with the skill-set to make his system work he has to make his system fit the players he does have.

I fully support Mourinho but....he has said he learned a lot from his time out of the game after being sacked at UTD but we are starting to see the same problems that he had there with his apparent insistence of forcing players to play a defensive system that doesn’t play to their strengths.

When OGS took over he unloosed the attacking potential with a free flowing approach that the players bought into, and even though the squad had many deficiencies which surfaced later and this season, they went on a long run of undefeated games.

So, the question for me is has Mourinho really learned any lessons or is he going to remain stuck in a single approach that isn’t working or is he going to realise that because he doesn’t have the players with the skill-set to make his system work he has to make his system fit the players he does have.

I don't think we'll know until next season. You can tell Jose is in "making do" mode with the players he has this season. He's also "making do" with the fixture list. You have your 2nd and 3rd game in 7 days and only one spare squad player outside of the 18 selected. You have about a third of the squad that aren't at 90 mins fitness at this elite level. You then get slated by everyone for them not taking the game to the opposition for the full 90 mins. Puts it into perspective.

I don't think we'll know until next season. You can tell Jose is in "making do" mode with the players he has this season. He's also "making do" with the fixture list. You have your 2nd and 3rd game in 7 days and only one spare squad player outside of the 18 selected. You have about a third of the squad that aren't at 90 mins fitness at this elite level. You then get slated by everyone for them not taking the game to the opposition for the full 90 mins. Puts it into perspective.
Sorry Mutters but changing the style of play doesn’t mean flat out football for 90 minutes...watch the way City play...they have periods of intensity and periods of rest...periods where groups of players are intensely involved while others rest....its about finding a system that fits the players he has, one that allows them to play football with the objective of scoring goals rather than trying to just stop the other team playing.

Sorry Mutters but changing the style of play doesn’t mean flat out football for 90 minutes...watch the way City play...they have periods of intensity and periods of rest...periods where groups of players are intensely involved while others rest....its about finding a system that fits the players he has, one that allows them to play football with the objective of scoring goals rather than trying to just stop the other team playing.

So you think we're good enough to hold a higher defensive line, rest with the ball in possession and then press like crazy in certain zones on the pitch?

If we did that, we'd have to remove Toby and Moura from our normal line-up. Toby can't hold a high line nowadays and Moura simply can't keep possession playing like an under 10 every match.

Would we be better off with this?

Lloris
Aurier, Tanganga, Sanchez, Davies
Gedson, Dier, Winks
Dele, Gio
Bergwijn

Allow the full-backs to push in and let Dier drop back in between the centre halves like we used to. Get those 5 midfield in possession and working with the full-backs.

So you think we're good enough to hold a higher defensive line, rest with the ball in possession and then press like crazy in certain zones on the pitch?

If we did that, we'd have to remove Toby and Moura from our normal line-up. Toby can't hold a high line nowadays and Moura simply can't keep possession playing like an under 10 every match.

Lloris
Gedson, Dier, Winks
Dele, Gio
Bergwijn

Allow the full-backs to push in and let Dier drop back in between the centre halves like we used to. Get those 5 midfield in possession and working with the full-backs.
Given the players we have I think that is a reasonable line up and would produce much better results...I think the key is certainly about playing higher up the pitch, but also compressing the space between defenders and attackers further up the pitch so that we can both launch attacks and defend as a unit instead of conceding the MF and letting the opposition have a free run at our defence.....not going to happen though is it?

It does highlight what a mess we are in though to have to include Aurier, Davies and Dier!

Also, it is very annoying to see us play as if we have a target man. All this hoofing to whom?... Moura that can't hold the ball and loses possession or we lump to in to no man's land, both scenarios leading to another wave of attack.

I just don't understand what remit Jose is working to because at this rate it will be a case of survival in the PL. That's what I am resigned to.

Last edited:
Also, it is very annoying to see us play as if we have a target man. All this hoofing to whom?... Moura that can't hold the ball and loses possession or we lump to in to no man's land, both scenarios leading to another wave of attack.

I just don't understand what remit Jose is working to because at this rate it will be a case of survival in the PL. That's what I am resigned to.
That’s what I mean about compressing the play and moving higher up the pitch....without a target man we have to create an attacking unit which in my view is a much better way to play anyway....Kane isn’t exactly great at holding the ball up anyway and gets kicked from pillar to post by CBs as do all so called target men....it is an outdated concept.

That’s what I mean about compressing the play and moving higher up the pitch....without a target man we have to create an attacking unit which in my view is a much better way to play anyway....Kane isn’t exactly great at holding the ball up anyway and gets kicked from pillar to post by CBs as do all so called target men....it is an outdated concept.

He holds the ball up though, it might not be back to goal all the time but he holds onto it and uses it well and gives the team a chance to advance up the pitch.

Lloris
Gedson, Dier, Winks
Dele, Gio
Bergwijn

The problem we have is we dont have the players available to do one thing or another, so we are in the middle of trying to do 2 things.

Till we have a squad open to us again we are pretty screwed, its unfortunate some of the players fit cant do the basics which makes things 10x harder.

Everytime the ball goes forward Moura loses it, or its an awful pass.

Playing without a striker is something you learn, you do it a thousand times in training - it's a tactical challenge.

You compress the play from the back; sitting back, will kill you (as it has us); you counter-press against the opposition press; you designate one defender to be the leader who pushes up the rest and is responsible for mopping up any over the top or through balls; your keep has to be alive and alert to get off his line; the keeper is a fully pledged sweeper keeper - and your last man plays the sweeper role.

You then don't concede all the spaces in between and your front 2 or 3 are in contact with the midfield and you all move together either down the flanks, the inside channel or through the middle, so mobility becomes the key - you can then all be more mobile for longer as you're not chasing shadow and chasing hoofed balls that statistically will work 1:20.

What you don't do is do what we did for 60 mins yet again.

Yes, your backs are against the wall, but coming up with answers is what a coach gets £8 million a year for rather than a hand wringing act before and after a game exclaiming, woe is me.

Spot on. That's why he's supposed to be a tactical genius.

It's utter madness.

He holds the ball up though, it might not be back to goal all the time but he holds onto it and uses it well and gives the team a chance to advance up the pitch.
I do think Kane brings others into play when he receives the ball in space...when it’s just belted up to him, back to goal, most times his control is no better than Moura’s mainly because he is an obvious target for defenders to foul and get away with it.

When you look at Pep’s team they don’t have a target man, they have lots of target men who all have at least two option for passes most times...consequently defenders finish up trying to mark spaces rather than players and hope they are not bypassed by the attackers.

To be fair Pep has an outstanding collection of players who either have natural footballing intelligence or had it coached into them by Pep (Walker comes to mind) but there is no reason why we couldn’t move in that direction and have more than one way of playing up our sleeves....to some extent it could be argued we do already have 2 styles of playing in every game, it’s just that the first style always puts us at a disadvantage for no good reason.

I do think Kane brings others into play when he receives the ball in space...when it’s just belted up to him, back to goal, most times his control is no better than Moura’s mainly because he is an obvious target for defenders to foul and get away with it.

When you look at Pep’s team they don’t have a target man, they have lots of target men who all have at least two option for passes most times...consequently defenders finish up trying to mark spaces rather than players and hope they are not bypassed by the attackers.

To be fair Pep has an outstanding collection of players who either have natural footballing intelligence or had it coached into them by Pep (Walker comes to mind) but there is no reason why we couldn’t move in that direction and have more than one way of playing up our sleeves....to some extent it could be argued we do already have 2 styles of playing in every game, it’s just that the first style always puts us at a disadvantage for no good reason.

I think Harry wins fouls and if he doesn't get them then he he uses his status to influence referees. That England captain's armband hold more influence than you think.

I also think it depends what height is the ball. If it's in the air then it's hard to retain possession. If it's below that then that is where Harry comes into his own. When a ball is absolutely pinged into Moura his next touch is normally with his head such is his inability to get it under.

I can't wait to see a fully fit Bergwijn. Once those energy levels go up, I'm hoping he offers way more out ball.

Cant say I am happy with how we are playing. Definitely not happy that Parrott isn't even on the bench - just doesn't make any sense. I defo don't agree with 'he isn't ready', unless he gets some game time he will never be ready. Wish we started on the front foot, wish Gio played centrally all the time and not stuck out wide some of the time.
As for Jose, cant say I was over the moon when he was appointed, but definitely prefer him to Poch, the guys pedigree is winning and gut feeling is he is going to turn us into winners - tho don't think it will happen in any shape or form this season. If it doesn't happen next season he will be gone anyway IMO.
I have my own cynical thoughts as to why he doesn't play Parrott even for 10-15 mins....but irrespective I would rather he was here and not Poch.
Lastly I wish he would be more upbeat about our current situation, it is what it is and everyone is fed up of hearing his negative talk. Just tell everyone we will find answers - cos we have to.

Cant say I am happy with how we are playing. Definitely not happy that Parrott isn't even on the bench - just doesn't make any sense. I defo don't agree with 'he isn't ready', unless he gets some game time he will never be ready. Wish we started on the front foot, wish Gio played centrally all the time and not stuck out wide some of the time.
As for Jose, cant say I was over the moon when he was appointed, but definitely prefer him to Poch, the guys pedigree is winning and gut feeling is he is going to turn us into winners - tho don't think it will happen in any shape or form this season. If it doesn't happen next season he will be gone anyway IMO.
I have my own cynical thoughts as to why he doesn't play Parrott even for 10-15 mins....but irrespective I would rather he was here and not Poch.
Lastly I wish he would be more upbeat about our current situation, it is what it is and everyone is fed up of hearing his negative talk. Just tell everyone we will find answers - cos we have to.

I bet your cynical thoughts are the same ones I've heard since he did his 'no striker' rant - that's he's making a point to the board/levy for letting 'him' down by not getting a striker in Jan and these losses help him underline it.

Could he really be that fragile an ego?