Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 49 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

In the Premiership over the last 68 league games we have only had 17 clean sheets. That is an appalling record and I don't see anything changing until we make signings.

Haven't checked the cup games as well. Can't remember many clean sheets there either.

Our defence this season has leaked more than my colander. But it did pretty well against Manure and they deserve some credit for it. Jose's decision not to start Toby was also the right one.

it's interesting that even Dier's biggest detractors weren't too harsh on him for giving away the pen as before that he was probably our best player and it was plain to see. I like you thought he had a future as a starting CB for us and England, I really hope Jose gets him there. Would save us a fortune on a Toby replacement.

Harry hadn't kicked a ball in anger for nearly 6 months & it showed, Son in 4 but we couldn't relace them with the likes of Alli & Moura cos they were both unavailable. No Eriksen any more & Lo Celso is still not quite ready. Taking everything into account i thought we coped pretty well. Their only success came from a rather soft looking penalty.

I agree but the lack of chances created has been a problem for some time under Jose. Lump it forward for Kane to win in the air and hope we score on the counter is just so 1 dimensional. Might as well have signed Fellaini if that's our plan a.

I agree but the lack of chances created has been a problem for some time under Jose. Lump it forward for Kane to win in the air and hope we score on the counter is just so 1 dimensional. Might as well have signed Fellaini if that's our plan a.
Compare our bench to Utds, there's no comparison. They brought on World Class, we brought on an out of sorts player & a kid. We had no answer on the bench to Pogba or Matic. It highlighted the need for a deeper squad, particularly in central midfield & up front.

Compare our bench to Utds, there's no comparison. They brought on World Class, we brought on an out of sorts player & a kid. We had no answer on the bench to Pogba or Matic. It highlighted the need for a deeper squad, particularly in central midfield & up front.

you say that but as soon as they scored we started playing like we definitely had an answer. It was mentality / tactics not personnel imo. Yes Lucas on the bench might have helped but in my opinion taking off Bergwijn AND Lamela was a mistake.

Our defence this season has leaked more than my colander. But it did pretty well against Manure and they deserve some credit for it. Jose's decision not to start Toby was also the right one.

I just see a bang average defense now EX. Our GK's wouldn't get in any of the top teams now either.

Tangy aside who looks talented I can't get excited about any of the others. They are either average or on the decline.

shhhhhsssuusssh!!! He's supposedly fully recovered from the virus now and looking to get back to the PL...!!

"Kane competed in 19 duels and 13 aerial duels (the most of any player on the pitch in either metric), with his win percentage of 26% and 23% the worst of any Spurs player in both. "

Honestly think Fellaini would have been more useful for the way we utilised him. Might have felt differently if Lamela shot from Kane's cross had gone in though.

Mourinho hits back at Merson's criticism of playing style, Kane's record

Min Read

File Photo: Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, Britain - June 19, 2020 Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho, as play resumes behind closed doors following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Glyn Kirk/Pool via REUTERS
(Reuters) - Jose Mourinho launched an impassioned defence of Harry Kane’s form under his playing style at Tottenham Hotspur after television pundit Paul Merson suggested the England striker would struggle in the Portuguese manager’s system.
Merson, a pundit with Sky Sports, said 26-year-old Kane would consider switching clubs if Mourinho continued adopting a conservative style in the Premier League, like they did in their 1-1 draw with Manchester United last week.
Kane has scored seven goals in 10 games under Mourinho but struggled to make an impact against United — his first match since returning from a hamstring surgery in January — and Mourinho said Merson was wrong to judge him based on one game.

“The record of goals that Harry has with me (in charge) is easy for you to see ... I can say I had a few strikers who played for me and they are not bad,” Mourinho told reporters in a virtual news conference on Monday.
In a five-minute-long response, Mourinho then went on to mention the likes of Didier Drogba, Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Diego Milito and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, reeling off their goal scoring stats under his tenures at various clubs.
“So dear Paul, I have lots of respect for you,” Mourinho added. “I think Harry Kane has no problems at all to score goals in my teams, especially when he’s fit, when he’s fresh and he has routines of playing.”

There was good news on the injury front for Mourinho who confirmed forward Lucas Moura was available after recovering from an injury while Dele Alli is also in contention after serving his one-match suspension.
“For the first time since I arrived, all six attacking players are available for the game,” Mourinho said.
“I’ve had matches with only one and now finally I have six so I can have people playing and on the bench to rotate players. Our attacking options for this match are really good.”

you say that but as soon as they scored we started playing like we definitely had an answer. It was mentality / tactics not personnel imo. Yes Lucas on the bench might have helped but in my opinion taking off Bergwijn AND Lamela was a mistake.
Having played Son & Kane together we had nobody to replace them. Both needed the minutes & being without Moura & Alli we were left short on the bench.

Lamela & Bergwyn were looking leggy by the midway point in the 2nd half, Bergwyn especially so, which is why Jose probably replaced them both. No doubt he was hoping to sit it on the 1-0 which tbf we looked capable of doing. I still think we were rather unlucky to concede the penalty late on but all in all i think he got his tactics spot on.

I just see a bang average defense now EX. Our GK's wouldn't get in any of the top teams now either.

Tangy aside who looks talented I can't get excited about any of the others. They are either average or on the decline.

With Tangy at RB, (what pace he has for a CB) Sess at LWB, Dier and Sanchez in the middle covered by Davies at LB and a new RB we are rumoured to have targetted, I really don't think we'd be in bad shape at all.

Having played Son & Kane together we had nobody to replace them. Both needed the minutes & being without Moura & Alli we were left short on the bench.

Lamela & Bergwyn were looking leggy by the midway point in the 2nd half, Bergwyn especially so, which is why Jose probably replaced them both. No doubt he was hoping to sit it on the 1-0 which tbf we looked capable of doing. I still think we were rather unlucky to concede the penalty late on but all in all i think he got his tactics spot on.

I don't see how defending a 1-0 lead with a team who have continually proven a complete inability to keep clean sheets even against weaker teams is getting tactics "spot on" but each to their own.

Mourinho hits back at Merson's criticism of playing style, Kane's record

reeling off their goal scoring stats under his tenures at various clubs.
.”

reeling off *inaccurate* goalscoring stats. He reckoned Drogba averaged 46 something goals a season under him which was complete nonsense. He actually averaged 18 so he more than doubled the amount of goals he scored... Maybe that's why he's not concerned about our attacking play, thinks we're scoring more than we actually are.

I don't see how defending a 1-0 lead with a team who have continually proven a complete inability to keep clean sheets even against weaker teams is getting tactics "spot on" but each to their own.
It's bread & butter for Mourinho, it's what his teams have been doing (rather successfully) for years.

It's bread & butter for Mourinho, it's what his teams have been doing (rather successfully) for years.

For years when he first was at the chav's he was known to love a 2-0, failing that 1-0 would do him which brings back to me why half the chav fans couldn't wait to get rid of him given the riches of talent they had available to him.

For years when he first was at the chav's he was known to love a 2-0, failing that 1-0 would do him which brings back to me why half the chav fans couldn't wait to get rid of him given the riches of talent they had available to him.
I heard one of the Sky commentators say that last night. Well, I'd quite happily settle for winning most of our matches 2-0. That first season he was in charge at Chelsea, they won the title with 95 points. They were the second highest scorers after Arsenal and only conceded 15 goals. Contrary to what was being written in the media at that time I thought they played a lot of really good attacking football with Duff and Robben on both wings. My memory at that time was that it was a media backlash against Abramovich and their love-in with Ferguson and United.

I heard one of the Sky commentators say that last night. Well, I'd quite happily settle for winning most of our matches 2-0. That first season he was in charge at Chelsea, they won the title with 95 points. They were the second highest scorers after Arsenal and only conceded 15 goals. Contrary to what was being written in the media at that time I thought they played a lot of really good attacking football with Duff and Robben on both wings. My memory at that time was that it was a media backlash against Abramovich and their love-in with Ferguson and United.

Yep in his first season the chavs played some great stuff. Mind you they did have some top players back then.

He inherited an amazing team, but it didn't take him long before he had them playing the Jose way.

I don't mind the Jose way if it means trophies at the end of it. But I just can't see that happening now. Especially now Covid has set the club back years.

Circumstances have changed and I'm not sure Jose is the right fit going forward.