Jose makes it all about the players again, his part is ignored | Vital Football

Jose makes it all about the players again, his part is ignored

Spursex

Alert Team
When you review an outcome, most sensible people will know that it's what's gone into the preparation beforehand to have a good one. Perfect practice makes perfect - nowhere does that old adage mean more than preparing a team for a match; the balance is difficult, but when a whole team is switched off and look unready - you can be sure it's more than just 'attitude'..

Jose and his management style and self-promotion has once again ignored his role in dividing the dressing room and around 10 first team players searching for an exit, including according to some well-informed journalists and agents, Kane and Son. There are others who have also decided that his poor training methods, his flip-flopping on setting up patterns of play, his piss poor tactical training and propensity to chuck players to the media wolves rather than take the responsibility that he should.

So having used the media to build up his excuses again and again he now accuses the players of 'playing for themselves and not the team' - what he should have said, is they're not playing for him, and in my book that's entirely down to him and mirrors his previous two mess up exits from the last two clubs.

I get why he's done it, he's a clever man that knows how to distract and give the media the storylines he wants them to swallow. Of course, knowing that pundits and fans alike have ripped his tactical decisions and game management to shreds, he conveniently pulls the wall (or at least tries) over everyone's eyes - of course some will swallow it hook line and sinker, the more sensible will know that much of what's been going on and is still going on is because of 'cause and effect' these messes do not just happen on their own...

Some have taken Kan's words as support for Jose, it isn't. Harry is off, his agent (his brother) is busy working on his exit, Harry's recent performances also show where his mind and body is, he has real reason to be like this - he has lost the faith, the same as Son has. But in Jose's World, it was their attitude that was wrong. Watch this space, it's now down to whether Levy will give him more time if he doesn't turn this all around between now and the end of the season..

"Good result. Total credit to the players for an incredible attitude, incredible effort," said Mourinho.
"I think our next challenge is not to play like this as a reaction of an awful performance but to play like this, with this soul, as a permanent thing.

"This is not about tactics but about attitude. The players gave everything."

The manner of defeat to Dinamo and the harsh words of Mourinho and captain Hugo Lloris afterwards sparked speculation over how long the former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United boss would be given to turn Tottenham's fortunes around.

Mourinho is expected to be given the chance to end Tottenham's 13-year wait to win a trophy in the League Cup final against Manchester City on April 25.

And there is still life in Tottenham's final nine league games of the campaign now as they climb up to sixth and close to within three points of fourth-placed Chelsea.

"In the last couple of games, the attitude dropped below our standards," said Kane.

"(Today) you saw everyone fighting, putting their bodies on the line and that's what we'll need to give the top four a push."

As we know, and we saw it last season, when players are thinking more about getting out as quick as they can it leads to erratic performances. it isn't a surprise to me, but for some, they'll not look at the wider picture and who isn't doing their part.

Leadership matters.

Very good there Ex, incidently on the same subject I read an article in the Mail on Sunday's, by their Chief Sports Writer, Oliver Holt, titled.....THE SPECIAL ONE? ALL TOTTENHAM HAVE GOT IS A DINOSAUR IN A DESIGNER COAT.
I thought it a very good read, check it out.

When you review an outcome, most sensible people will know that it's what's gone into the preparation beforehand to have a good one. Perfect practice makes perfect - nowhere does that old adage mean more than preparing a team for a match; the balance is difficult, but when a whole team is switched off and look unready - you can be sure it's more than just 'attitude'..

Jose and his management style and self-promotion has once again ignored his role in dividing the dressing room and around 10 first team players searching for an exit, including according to some well-informed journalists and agents, Kane and Son. There are others who have also decided that his poor training methods, his flip-flopping on setting up patterns of play, his piss poor tactical training and propensity to chuck players to the media wolves rather than take the responsibility that he should.

So having used the media to build up his excuses again and again he now accuses the players of 'playing for themselves and not the team' - what he should have said, is they're not playing for him, and in my book that's entirely down to him and mirrors his previous two mess up exits from the last two clubs.

I get why he's done it, he's a clever man that knows how to distract and give the media the storylines he wants them to swallow. Of course, knowing that pundits and fans alike have ripped his tactical decisions and game management to shreds, he conveniently pulls the wall (or at least tries) over everyone's eyes - of course some will swallow it hook line and sinker, the more sensible will know that much of what's been going on and is still going on is because of 'cause and effect' these messes do not just happen on their own...

Some have taken Kan's words as support for Jose, it isn't. Harry is off, his agent (his brother) is busy working on his exit, Harry's recent performances also show where his mind and body is, he has real reason to be like this - he has lost the faith, the same as Son has. But in Jose's World, it was their attitude that was wrong. Watch this space, it's now down to whether Levy will give him more time if he doesn't turn this all around between now and the end of the season..

"Good result. Total credit to the players for an incredible attitude, incredible effort," said Mourinho.
"I think our next challenge is not to play like this as a reaction of an awful performance but to play like this, with this soul, as a permanent thing.

"This is not about tactics but about attitude. The players gave everything."

The manner of defeat to Dinamo and the harsh words of Mourinho and captain Hugo Lloris afterwards sparked speculation over how long the former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United boss would be given to turn Tottenham's fortunes around.

Mourinho is expected to be given the chance to end Tottenham's 13-year wait to win a trophy in the League Cup final against Manchester City on April 25.

And there is still life in Tottenham's final nine league games of the campaign now as they climb up to sixth and close to within three points of fourth-placed Chelsea.

"In the last couple of games, the attitude dropped below our standards," said Kane.

"(Today) you saw everyone fighting, putting their bodies on the line and that's what we'll need to give the top four a push."

As we know, and we saw it last season, when players are thinking more about getting out as quick as they can it leads to erratic performances. it isn't a surprise to me, but for some, they'll not look at the wider picture and who isn't doing their part.

Leadership matters.
Great post.

What happens if we go on a reasonable run and pinch 5th place or even 4th? Doesn't that buy him another season at least? And then we go through the whole circus again. But this time without one or more of our key players.

What would have been a legitimate target for Levy to set Jose at the start of the season? Top 5 and a domestic cup?

Whilst i think you post is correct Spursex and i have similar missgivings about JM i do think you brush over this a little too lightly.

How many players do we have to see who have "Harry's recent performances also show where his mind and body is, he has real reason to be like this - he has lost the faith, the same as Son has ". I dont give a toss if they have fallen out with JM, Levy or the team. WE DESERVE BETTER. Its not on and it will undermine Harry & Son's legacy for me if they leave with this attitude. As much as they have been good for Spurs, Spurs have been good for them.

I actually think it time for Spurs to part ways with Kane & Son. It will be painful etc. But we are NEVER going to progress with Kane thinking he can pick and choose when to put in a team performance. Same for Son. I remember Liverpool thinking letting Coutinho go to Barca was unthinkable. 3 signings later they were world class.

We need to trust our youngsters. Trust our other players who havent let us down regular and add some extra spice. Who would have thought Lucas would look our best player over last month? He has been given his legs and he has taken off with it. Vinnie doesnt look top quality but he hasnt had the chances to integrate. Give the lad the chance to prove us wrong and give Kane chance to rest, recover and perform properly. He may just find he enjoys it.

Whatever happens we know Levy will get a huge influx of cash but i am far from crying about it

Great post.

What happens if we go on a reasonable run and pinch 5th place or even 4th? Doesn't that buy him another season at least? And then we go through the whole circus again. But this time without one or more of our key players.

What would have been a legitimate target for Levy to set Jose at the start of the season? Top 5 and a domestic cup?

Levy is a smart man, he knows how Jose's reigns always end; how long he'll give him after the conflict he's created this season is anyone's guess.

At the moment (and hence why Jose's mentioning it) he's got players agents banging down his door - so he'll have to balance what this will mean to finances (money to spend and money lost) he'll be aware that players who want away never give their best - but he'll also be aware the effect a new a manager can have on quelling a player revolt.

Jose boasted to Levy, that with his additions this year, he had a PL winning squad, not making European football would be a financial catastrophe on top of the existing one, if that happens and on the proceeds to spent of depressed valuations for Kane, Son, Ndombele and a few others (if allowed to go) will give him a lot to think about.

So levy wouldn't have set him a target for silverware I don't believe (but would have bought into Jose's ability to deliver one), the key would have been Top 4 (where the big money is and how much easier that makes it to attract the next level players we've been looking at), top 6 would do if it meant Europa (only around £20-30 mill less to play for than the CL) is my guess.

How he deals with potentially losing Kane and Son if they can force their way out (and he's faced this before in Berbs and Keano) - even if he did screw up badly with it - could well be what tips the balance.

I'm told Levy was less than impressed with some of Jose latest comments, but also that they have a solid working relationship, and Levy doesn't do emotional decisions, he really doesn't - I wish he would at times, and this is one of them.

Whilst i think you post is correct Spursex and i have similar missgivings about JM i do think you brush over this a little too lightly.

How many players do we have to see who have "Harry's recent performances also show where his mind and body is, he has real reason to be like this - he has lost the faith, the same as Son has ". I dont give a toss if they have fallen out with JM, Levy or the team. WE DESERVE BETTER. Its not on and it will undermine Harry & Son's legacy for me if they leave with this attitude. As much as they have been good for Spurs, Spurs have been good for them.

I actually think it time for Spurs to part ways with Kane & Son. It will be painful etc. But we are NEVER going to progress with Kane thinking he can pick and choose when to put in a team performance. Same for Son. I remember Liverpool thinking letting Coutinho go to Barca was unthinkable. 3 signings later they were world class.

We need to trust our youngsters. Trust our other players who havent let us down regular and add some extra spice. Who would have thought Lucas would look our best player over last month? He has been given his legs and he has taken off with it. Vinnie doesnt look top quality but he hasnt had the chances to integrate. Give the lad the chance to prove us wrong and give Kane chance to rest, recover and perform properly. He may just find he enjoys it.

Whatever happens we know Levy will get a huge influx of cash but i am far from crying about it

I'm not defending their commitment or lack of, but it's simply not as easy to tell someone to give it your all, when their brains and emotional investment isn't engaged - so you do your best, at times it's not enough and you have another Eriksen scenario on your hands.

Players are humans, not Robots.

Well some of us think we are still digging ourselves out of Pochettino's shit and until there is a complete change of players in terms of Pochettino's favorites we are headed nowhere.

There isn't a better man to root out the complacency and entitlement so obvious within our squad than JM. I agree players aren't robots. They can't be treated like family for 5 years and then put into a high pressure, do your job or sit environment. Levy's lack of emotional intelligence is a massive factor in the situation we find ourselves in.

JM is who he is. Always has been.

Add Covid to Levy's decision making and JM's modus operandi and you have the inconsistency we see now.

This is NOT JM's fault. And the players need to grow the naff up.

Also....there are a whole lot of other teams that are as inconsistent as us right now.

Well some of us think we are still digging ourselves out of Pochettino's shit and until there is a complete change of players in terms of Pochettino's favorites we are headed nowhere.

There isn't a better man to root out the complacency and entitlement so obvious within our squad than JM. I agree players aren't robots. They can't be treated like family for 5 years and then put into a high pressure, do your job or sit environment. Levy's lack of emotional intelligence is a massive factor in the situation we find ourselves in.

Add Covid to Levy's decision making and JM's modus operandi and you have the inconsistency we see now.

Also....there are a whole lot of other teams that are as inconsistent as us right now.
Who, specifically, do you think these players are?

Kane obviously. But he's as firm a favourite with Jose as he was with Poch.

Dele would be another. Clearly Jose wants him gone.

Eriksen was a Poch fav but he's gone even though Jose did everything he could to get him to stay?

Lloris? I think Jose rates him and is glad he is around.

Lamela possibly but he's very much a Jose-type player.

Sissoko ditto Lamela.

I can't think of anyone else who would fall into the Poch favourites category who Jose would want gone?

Who, specifically, do you think these players are?

Kane obviously. But he's as firm a favourite with Jose as he was with Poch.

Dele would be another. Clearly Jose wants him gone.

Eriksen was a Poch fav but he's gone even though Jose did everything he could to get him to stay?

Lloris? I think Jose rates him and is glad he is around.

Lamela possibly but he's very much a Jose-type player.

Sissoko ditto Lamela.

I can't think of anyone else who would fall into the Poch favourites category who Jose would want gone?

Winks

Dele, Winks and Sissoko are all potential problems in the dressing room. All it takes is one. Anyone who has been in a toxic work environment can tell you that. And it could also be any of the backroom boys.

Levy is a smart man, he knows how Jose's reigns always end; how long he'll give him after the conflict he's created this season is anyone's guess.

At the moment (and hence why Jose's mentioning it) he's got players agents banging down his door - so he'll have to balance what this will mean to finances (money to spend and money lost) he'll be aware that players who want away never give their best - but he'll also be aware the effect a new a manager can have on quelling a player revolt.

Jose boasted to Levy, that with his additions this year, he had a PL winning squad, not making European football would be a financial catastrophe on top of the existing one, if that happens and on the proceeds to spent of depressed valuations for Kane, Son, Ndombele and a few others (if allowed to go) will give him a lot to think about.

So levy wouldn't have set him a target for silverware I don't believe (but would have bought into Jose's ability to deliver one), the key would have been Top 4 (where the big money is and how much easier that makes it to attract the next level players we've been looking at), top 6 would do if it meant Europa (only around £20-30 mill less to play for than the CL) is my guess.

How he deals with potentially losing Kane and Son if they can force their way out (and he's faced this before in Berbs and Keano) - even if he did screw up badly with it - could well be what tips the balance.

I'm told Levy was less than impressed with some of Jose latest comments, but also that they have a solid working relationship, and Levy doesn't do emotional decisions, he really doesn't - I wish he would at times, and this is one of them.
Another consideration - and one I'd be making if I was Chairman - is to assess whether the manager had got the most of the squad that season. Did they achieve their full potential?

You can set targets at the start of a campaign but during the course of the campaign there may be valid reasons why those targets become unachievable.

If you were Chairman of Burnley you would probably answer, yes, Dyche has definitely extracted every last ounce out his squad - every season. They're more than the sum of their parts.

Could you say that about Jose? Definitely not. At the start of the season we had had, by common consent, one of the best transfer windows of any club. We added quantity to the squad and strengthened a couple of our weakest areas. We had cover for pretty much every position. Jose was happy and indicated he had a PL-competing squad at his disposal. But we've fallen a long way short of that ambitious goal. Unless we have an incredible run in I'd say we've significantly underachieved this season.

Dele, Winks and Sissoko are all potential problems in the dressing room. All it takes is one. Anyone who has been in a toxic work environment can tell you that. And it could also be any of the backroom boys.
I'm surprised you include Sissoko in that group. He never misses a matchday squad yet he has been so poor at times - as has his attitude on the field recently. It can only be for non-footballing reasons that he gets game time. I assumed he was one of Jose's mainstays and allies in the dressing room.

Great post.

Gary that's what I have been trying to say, look reasonably successful, result keep the Dinosaur and probably lose a host of players.

I can live with our teams inconsistency but I cannot live with our teams incontinence

Very good post.