Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 72 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

Matthew Syed has written an article comparing Jose to Donald Trump and makes reference to this quote.

In essence he argues that both Trump and Jose can be great people to be around when things are going well but when things are going less well their vanity prevents them from looking at themselves and instead they start looking for scapegoats.

In reference to your quote above Syed says "After Sunday’s defeat he turned on his dressing room in particularly savage fashion. They are a superb squad, on whom Mourinho has lavished tens of millions of pounds, and yet he claims that they exhibit endemic problems of a quite ruinous kind. “For a long, long, long, long time we have problems in the team that I cannot resolve by myself as a coach,” he said. In other words, anything that is bad about Spurs predated my arrival. And, by implication, anything good that happens now is solely attributable to my genius."

Syed goes on to say:

"In this sense, he is a rather tragic figure, moving from club to club, living on past glories, hoping that the next chairman will forget that his main source of income these days comes from payoffs for contract termination (now running into tens of millions of pounds). The Special One has become The Severance One.

I suspect that the Spurs players, many of whom are excellent professionals, will keep battling for the club. It would be extraordinary if their form did not recover in the coming weeks. But the medium-term risk is that key players such as Harry Kane and Son Heung-min will seek to escape from a head coach who is holding yet another club back. This would be immensely damaging to Spurs, forcing them into another costly rebuild, although hopefully under a more enlightened manager, such as Leicester City’s Brendan Rodgers."

Syed is full of shit. The comparison to Trump is a nonstarter and rather clueless. Jose's success is real. Trump's was based on fiction.

Syed is full of shit. The comparison to Trump is a nonstarter and rather clueless. Jose's success is real. Trump's was based on fiction.

Now Trump isn't self-made in the pure sense, but his assets outweigh his debts and he has been a master manipulator of everything from tax to politics. He has led large organizations, taken risks and got the top job in the White House on his career journey. How can none of that be categorized as success or even be called fiction. We all lived through it.

Can't stand the man, but perhaps he can teach Jose to take a few more risks on the pitch :-)

I thought he brought about a refreshing change to politics however it soon turned sour with his childish behaviour. Even his wife had to reign him in on occasion lol.
Agreed there steve, but for me to many truths were was his undoing, so the other lot had to get together and do what they did, bullshit and cheat, well thats according to all my Yank oppo's anyway.

To get the thread back on track. There was the suggestion recently that Jose had not improved any of our players since hes been with us.
I think its easier to name those who have not improved.... Hugo, Doherty ( yet ) ,Dele and Winks.....although that might change in Dele's case.
Dier is learning a new position so if he's learning, he's improving.

To get the thread back on track. There was the suggestion recently that Jose had not improved any of our players since hes been with us.
I think its easier to name those who have not improved.... Hugo, Doherty ( yet ) ,Dele and Winks.....although that might change in Dele's case.
Dier is learning a new position so if he's learning, he's improving.

Individuals can improve, but when do the sum of the parts?

That definitely has not improved as much as it should have done considering the investment and quality Jose has at his disposal.

Individuals can improve, but when do the sum of the parts?

That definitely has not improved as much as it should have done considering the investment and quality Jose has at his disposal.

What investment? Iceberg and doherty?

I agree as a whole entity we have lost ground, maybe other teams have gained ? The defensive frailties have had an impact on our playing style. With Bale and Dele now more in the frame and Loco coming back, our attacking options are better and I hope the emphasis swings in that direction instead of the recent style. I wouldn't be surprised if Levy had requested a change of style either, although he may not have.

What investment? Iceberg and doherty?

You are kidding right? On Jose's brief watch....

1) Conversion of Gio loan - £28m
2) Loan fee for Gedson
3) Bergwijn £25m
4) Hojbjerg £15m
5) Reggie £27m
6) Rodon £11m
7) Doherty £15m
8) Bale £15m loan fee and £250k per week
9) Vini loan fee

If you remove the Eriksen and KWP money recouped, Jose has done about £100m net spending in 2 windows. £70m if you exclude Gio, but he still sanctioned the move.

In comparison to Poch's first 3 or 4 years of minimal net spending, it is incredible riches. Poch also bought £200m revenues with 4 years of CL including a final. Jose hasn't added anything to the pot yet.

2) Loan fee for Gedson
3) Bergwijn £25m
4) Hojbjerg £15m
5) Reggie £27m
6) Rodon £11m
7) Doherty £15m
9) Vini loan fee

If you remove the Eriksen and KWP money recouped, Jose has done about £100m net spending in 2 windows. £70m if you exclude Gio, but he still sanctioned the move.

In comparison to Poch's first 3 or 4 years of minimal net spending, it is incredible riches. Poch also bought £200m revenues with 4 years of CL including a final. Jose hasn't added anything to the pot yet.

Disregarding the investment in money terms. The list has not improved us much IMO.

Gio took a while to get going, I think he was injured when he came and has struggled to stay fit.
Gedson was a mistake.
Bergwijn not exactly pulled up any trees and could be seen as a replacement for Eriksen that fell short as has Ndombele.
Hojbjerg is a slight improvement on Dier who he has replaced as a DM.
Reggie is a replacement for Rose, but is not as good at his peak.
Rodon is for the future.
Doherty a failure.
Bale to be reviewed
Vinnie ....not good enough to push Kane.

Last edited:

2) Loan fee for Gedson
3) Bergwijn £25m
4) Hojbjerg £15m
5) Reggie £27m
6) Rodon £11m
7) Doherty £15m
9) Vini loan fee

The only ones I would attribute to Mourinho are Iceberg and Doherty. And perhaps Vini,

The only ones I would attribute to Mourinho are Iceberg and Doherty. And perhaps Vini,

As fans, we can't have it both ways. We have been told for years and years that our managers get the final say and the power of veto on new signings. We can't start attributing some to a manager and not others. When you introduce that get-out clause for a manager, it is a slippery slope.

Saying that, I'm not yet calling the entire squad Jose's yet, but the ones signed on his watch definitely are. I would also guess that Jose is quite proprietorial about our best players like Kane, Son, Ndombele etc. Jose also gave Toby a new contract and has heaped praise on Lloris, Davies at times. He's probably about three-quarters there and needs more support improving that last quarter.

A couple of points.

1) I am staggered at Mourinho's lack of ability to adjust to the squad he has. I still have trouble understanding how someone who has won so much is so inflexible.

2) Who will get blamed if Mourinho leaves and we become the first team he hasn't won a trophy with? Tottenham or Jose? You just know he will, at a minimum, get a pundit job. And can't you just hear him saying on global TV after we lose a game: "Well. like SAF said, It's Tottenham boys".

This man will crucify us. Also, this is feeling a lot like the END of the Pochettino era.

A couple of points.

1) I am staggered at Mourinho's lack of ability to adjust to the squad he has. I still have trouble understanding how someone who has won so much is so inflexible.

2) Who will get blamed if Mourinho leaves and we become the first team he hasn't won a trophy with? Tottenham or Jose? You just know he will, at a minimum, get a pundit job. And can't you just hear him saying on global TV after we lose a game: "Well. like SAF said, It's Tottenham boys".

This man will crucify us. Also, this is feeling a lot like the END of the Pochettino era.

Objectively, all we can say and comment on is whatever skills he had, wherever the master tactician is in hiding, wherever the great motivator is, wherever the greatest coach is, it isn't at Tottenham.

Too old, too inflexible, too egotistical, these traits are not good ones and he's served us badly.