Jose convinced Docherty will improve.. | Vital Football

Jose convinced Docherty will improve..

Spursex

Alert Team
Can't say I am, but players often struggle in their first season in a new club, although normally it's when they're coming in from a foreign land - mind you Wolves might well fit that classification too!

Jose Mourinho says he 'believes' Matt Doherty will get better for Tottenham

Jose Mourinho has offered his full support to Matt Doherty and said the Tottenham Hotspur defender will begin to improve, as reported by the Evening Standard.
Doherty is just one of Spurs’ signings who have struggled this season.

Mourinho wanted to use another of his summer acquisitions as a point of reference for the difficult adjustment period.

“I was speaking just now about Pierre (Emile-Hojbjerg), who is an example of a guy who arrived and immediately looks like a guy who was here his whole life and immediately making an impact,” said the Spurs boss.
“But not every player does that. Sometimes it’s a little more difficult. But we believe in (Matt), he believes in us.”
“And we spoke about that a few days ago. He feels it was a great decision to move here, he’s very happy to be here and admits he’s much better than what he’s showing.

“Confidence is very important and I believe that he’ll only improve. He’s a player that we trust.”
Matt Doherty has had bad luck of the Irish
Spurs signed the Ireland international last summer for £14.7 million (Guardian) from Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Once a regular member of the wolf pack, Doherty is yet to recreate the consistency that made him such a promising purchase for Tottenham.

He has been wrestling for the right-back spot with Serge Aurier all term but more often than not found himself on the losing side.

Mourinho confirmed that Aurier will miss the FA Cup fifth round trip to Everton, handing Doherty a golden opportunity to stake a permanent claim in the team.
Major skill snipped at Spurs
His lack of meaningful forward contributions has been a major cause for concern this campaign.
During Doherty’s final season at Wolves, he managed seven goals and five assists across 50 appearances in all competitions.
This year, the 29-year-old has only added one assist to his name and that came in early November.
Mourinho’s passive and defensive approach has admittedly snipped Doherty’s wings in an attacking sense. Spurs’ set-up is to sit back and counter their opponents.
Doherty is therefore limited in his marauding runs down the right that were a regular feature at Wolves.

Mat Doherty for me is a stopgap signing. I'll be spitting bricks if Jose offers Aurier a new contract and we end up with the pair of them for another season. It's been a mess since Walker left. Doherty should be sharing duties with a younger guy so we keep building for the future.

We need to find our right sided Reggie.

With people like him in the squad we have no chance of bagging a top 4 spot. He's not a patch on Aurier, who in turn isn't a patch on Tripps. We have cocked the RB spot up royally since selling Walker to City. How stupid does that look now?

With people like him in the squad we have no chance of bagging a top 4 spot. He's not a patch on Aurier, who in turn isn't a patch on Tripps. We have cocked the RB spot up royally since selling Walker to City. How stupid does that look now?

I understand why Jose thinks he will improve, but he was our weak link again last, as you say, boy have we cocked up the RWB position.

He has to improve , he can’t get much worse to be fair .
As always , we don’t give human beings time to adjust .
As with Dele , we expect them them to have no external influences , emotions , injuries , personal problems , or any factors that make up a life .
Well some of us think like that .

They get paid enough not to have any issues .

Yeah . Right , ....

Mat Doherty for me is a stopgap signing. I'll be spitting bricks if Jose offers Aurier a new contract and we end up with the pair of them for another season. It's been a mess since Walker left. Doherty should be sharing duties with a younger guy so we keep building for the future.

We need to find our right sided Reggie.
Give him time and I think he will be .

He has to improve , he can’t get much worse to be fair .
As always , we don’t give human beings time to adjust .
As with Dele , we expect them them to have no external influences , emotions , injuries , personal problems , or any factors that make up a life .
Well some of us think like that .

They get paid enough not to have any issues .

Yeah . Right , ....

Well if he is going to improve, I hope he does it soon.

Give him time and I think he will be .

Age is not really on his side though. He's already past his physical best and I don't think there is ever a chance that he can own the entire right hand side like Reggie does on the left. He doesn't seem to hurt the opposition in a setup where he needs to get back as well.

Just have a look around at the right-backs in the Prem
City - Cancelo and Walker
Liverpool - Trent
Utd - Wan-Bissaka
Leicester - Justin, Pereira, Catasagne
Chelsea - James, Azpilicueta
Arsenal - Bellerin
Villa - Matty Cash
Wolves - Semedo
Saints - KWP

A couple of older guys like Walker and Azpilicueta who play more withdrawn, but there's definitely a bunch of younger guys providing a lot of energy for those teams. Some superb footballers in that list as well.

I might be being selfish, but I want that at Spurs.

I thought he had an ok game last night. Apart from the last goal where he kept the scorer onside, it was a great chip by Siggy though.

Walker left to seek what he wanted away from Spurs, trophies. Pep sought him and he wanted to go. I know now it wasn’t possible, but I would have loved us to secure Foden as part of that deal. Top player.

Walker left to seek what he wanted away from Spurs, trophies. Pep sought him and he wanted to go. I know now it wasn’t possible, but I would have loved us to secure Foden as part of that deal. Top player.

We both wanted that, but at least we asked, we got told to 'go away' but at least we asked. Foden is going to be the best English player we've had in a generation

We both wanted that, but at least we asked, we got told to 'go away' but at least we asked. Foden is going to be the best English player we've had in a generation

His awareness for one so young is truly outstanding, I love watching him play and how he sees the game. To think at one time Dele was in the frame for such an accolade.

Tripps was an absolutely liability in his final season with us. Genuinely cost us more than Aurier ever has.

Agree with the rest of your post though.