Jorge Grant | Page 5 | Vital Football

Jorge Grant

Liam Scully in the Echo online thingy all but confirming that Jorge will be on his way to a Championship team.
Really can't blame him at the age of 26 to take such an opportunity. He might not get such a chance again and he'll have be able to secure his financial future for him and his family.

Not unexpected. I think we've helped develop Jorge's game, so even though he is 26, he fits the model.

I appreciate any fee is unlikely to be very high but as others have stressed, he could have gone for nothing without the contract extension.

Not unexpected. I think we've helped develop Jorge's game, so even though he is 26, he fits the model.

I appreciate any fee is unlikely to be very high but as others have stressed, he could have gone for nothing without the contract extension.

Fully agree, any fee is better than nothing, we will also presumably have a future sell on clause and his wages can be used elsewhere as well for a replacement or two.

This is the key element in terms of timing:

“The contractual situation means it would have to happen soon,” added Scully. “We’ve protected ourselves with that and we’ll have closure pretty soon. That’ll be Jorge moving on or Jorge being part of our squad."

In other words, he would have to move probably by the traditional end of contract date of 30 June.

good to show other potential signings that our model isn't just aimed at young players (like montsma). imo there is no doubt appleton has improved grant's game this season. he has also done it with hopper and mcgrandles.

if existing players keep improving at a similar rate the squad improves before we add any new signings for next season.

This is the key element in terms of timing:

“The contractual situation means it would have to happen soon,” added Scully. “We’ve protected ourselves with that and we’ll have closure pretty soon. That’ll be Jorge moving on or Jorge being part of our squad."

In other words, he would have to move probably by the traditional end of contract date of 30 June.
that is great forward planning on the contract work. miles better than losing him on deadline day.

If he leaves, the buyer may find he goes back to performing how he did before Michael Appleton’s coaching ie. luxury player.

Let’s hope not. He’s worked hard and transformed his game during his time with us which has led him to this opportunity. He could have walked for literally nothing now - most players in their final year with his kind of options would, and have. I wish him nothing but success.

On his day Jorge was often a cut above anyone else on the field. Did not think we would be able to keep him, unless promoted. Good luck to him, he deserves his chance. Thanks for some good memories, hope we make some money out of any deal.

Let's not forget that at that point in the season he had just come back from injury and we were desperate to get him back in the team.

There's no doubt he will be a massive loss.

I take this point but as I said in the bigger post, his goal contribution numbers are pretty much non-existent if you take out the glut of corners at the start of the season which dried up almost entirely, and the penalties. I think clearly he had plenty of decent games and was useful on the ball but it's not quite the same as replacing Johnson's penalty wins or goals in an attacking sense (for example)?

I'd find it hard to believe without the penalties (and he missed a handful of important ones) that he'd be a team of the season type player?

Again re-iterating that he's a good footballer of course especially for L1 level, clearly technically good and has added a few more strings to his bow getting up and down the field. Just not as worried as I might have been about finding a central midfield replacement perhaps?

Let’s hope not. He’s worked hard and transformed his game during his time with us which has led him to this opportunity. He could have walked for literally nothing now - most players in their final year with his kind of options would, and have. I wish him nothing but success.
He was very unhappy at Mansfield by all accounts and not managed in a way that got the best out of him. Hopefully he will look back at his time at Lincoln as his launch pad

Whilst we may not benefit massively from any transfer related fees, particularly with Forest's cut, I'd suggest Jorge has already more than repaid our costs for him. Very difficult to quantify but the value and exposure from challenging at the top end of league one must be vast, and he has been a significant contributor to that. It was only last week we heard how this season's progress helped pique the interest of our new American investor. Others will undoubtedly have also noticed.

I think the contract negotiation has been dealt with excellently. Liam mentions the balancing of realising of assets and maintaining a team on the pitch. It feels to me in this case that we've balanced it perfectly

im wondering if he might go back to Forest. would make sense. may not need to re-locate and would be able to team up with Johnson again.

Will be shame but not unexpected. Like others have said won’t be a big windfall, after sell on to Forest paid, but at the end of the day we signed a talented 24 year old who’d done well at L2 and turned him into a potential Championship player, rather than completely developing him.

One of the local papers in Stoke seems to have done a piece on Grant's likely departure. Perhaps their local reporters have been given the nod about Stoke City sniffing around??
It could of course just be a slow news day in the Potteries