Jorge Grant | Page 3 | Vital Football

Jorge Grant

Any outbidding will between the buying club and the player I'm afraid. If there's a release fee I can't see any circumstance in which we'd get more than that.

As has been said, if he desperately wanted to go he wouldn't have signed the extension. Maybe he's noticed the likes of Walker and Morrell and is happy here.

This is spot on the agent will be going to club A asking how much they are prepared to pay him and what bonuses are they adding on, then trotting off to club X and saying can you beat this offer to get Grant and not forgetting himself the best deal.

This is spot on the agent will be going to club A asking how much they are prepared to pay him and what bonuses are they adding on, then trotting off to club X and saying can you beat this offer to get Grant and not forgetting himself the best deal.

But whatever that fee is, it is better than the 'nothing' that we would have got had Jorge not signed an extension. We will either have got,

a) as much as we think Jorge is worth on the open market,
b) as little as Jorge and his advisors thought any team from the Championship would be willing to pay if they were actually serious about landing him as a player,
c) somewhere in between a) and b) on the balance of any increase in wages from the previous contract

In short, we are in a better position as a club than we were before Jorge signed his extension.

We should simply trust in the people who have made the decision on behalf of the club and Jorge's personal goals for himself and his family.

Last edited:
But whatever that fee is, it is better than the 'nothing' that we would have got had Jorge not signed an extension. We have either got,

a) as much as we think Jorge is worth on the open market,
b) as little as Jorge and his advisors thought any team from the Championship would be willing to pay if they were actually serious about landing him as a player,
c) somewhere in between a) and b) on the balance of any increase in wages from the previous contract

In short, we are in a better position as a club than we were before Jorge signed his extension.

We should simply trust in the people who have made the decision on behalf of the club and Jorge's personal goals for himself and his family.

I entirely agree, my post is very cynical and with regards to how I perceive agents.

I would suggest that Jorge would have become one of our biggest earners when he signed his contract extension, probably the highest earner. If a championship club comes in for him, which I think is highly likely he will probably want to go.
So we will not only receive a fee but free up his wages.
I am absolutely certain that Jez and MA will have planned for this scenario and already have players lined up to replace Jorge if necessary.

I would suggest that Jorge would have become one of our biggest earners when he signed his contract extension, probably the highest earner. If a championship club comes in for him, which I think is highly likely he will probably want to go.
I am absolutely certain that Jez and MA will have planned for this scenario and already have players lined up to replace Jorge if necessary.

Agreed, although I'd suggest 'players identified' rather than 'players lined up'. The comparatively easy bit done, the comparatively tougher bit still to do, especially in light of the market comments (although those comments do tend to be an annual thing).

Bridcutt is the highest earner

They already have, and the one I've heard is a very exciting prospect.

Grant is great and had a fantastic season. Clearly his all round contribution especially as a team player/more well rounded central midfielder kicked on hugely this year. BUT the playoff games did slightly make me think he was more replaceable than I would have said three months earlier.

I'm sure a lot would say, that's a tiny sample size and it's three games but he did basically disappear in our biggest games. Worse than that really his two big contributions were the mistake for the first Blackpool goal and missing a penalty and Appleton shunted him out on the left in the end; so had less confidence as a central player than say, a McGrandles. I did feel at the time, especially having listened to a podcast where Grant basically said he's all about playing centrally and it was great Mapp had the confidence him to play there, him getting shifted out to the left in the playoff final after a mistake wasn't a great situation all round.

The argument is there that we would not have got in the top 6 without him, but I also had a bit of his revisionism thinking about the numbers he put up in the end. His 13 goals were vastly inflated by penalties and his 9 assists by the glut of Montsma goals in the first half of the season? The penalty misses were also very big ones in the context of the season in the league- both against Doncaster in a game we lost and the Peterborough draw. Not to say he didn't score some important ones of course.

There is then the argument we might miss his set pieces but as a midfield schemer/his contributions breaking from the three in midfield are perhaps slightly less than you might expect/more replaceable from a purely moneyball type point of view? The set piece contributions also dried up significantly after the start of the season.

As a replacement, a more functional midfielder who can progress the ball might also be an option, e.g. you don't need to replace him with a 10 as the goals and assists come from the front three. And as long as we have someone who can take a set piece, that covers that base.

Might be overly negative and clearly not going to be upset if we retain him after a L1 team of the season 20/21, but I'd have more confidence in finding a replacement than say a Bridcutt who I'm sure will be here (where the experience was a huge loss) or a Tom Hopper as we just seemed to look a team bereft of ideas when Morton came in. Likewise finding someone who can do the Brennan Johnson x-factor role!

More generally, I'd see Grant bottom end Championship based on his technical ability and how his all round contribution has grown - and I can really see it happening now that's all been confirmed regarding his clause. I think it'll be quite favourable to him as he wouldn't have signed the deal if we'd put in an absurd clause that lower Championship teams wouldn't match. Even one of the teams that have got promoted?

Last edited:
Grant is great and had a fantastic season. Clearly his all round contribution especially as a team player/more well rounded central midfielder kicked on hugely this year. BUT the playoff games did slightly make me think he was more replaceable than I would have said three months earlier.

I'm sure a lot would say, that's a tiny sample size and it's three games but he did basically disappear in our biggest games. Worse than that really his two big contributions were the mistake for the first Blackpool goal and missing a penalty and Appleton shunted him out on the left in the end; so had less confidence as a central player than say, a McGrandles. I did feel at the time, especially having listened to a podcast where Grant basically said he's all about playing centrally and it was great Mapp had the confidence him to play there, him getting shifted out to the left in the playoff final after a mistake wasn't a great situation all round.

The argument is there that we would not have got in the top 6 without him, but I also had a bit of his revisionism thinking about the numbers he put up in the end. His 13 goals were vastly inflated by penalties and his 9 assists by the glut of Montsma goals in the first half of the season? The penalty misses were also very big ones in the context of the season in the league- both against Doncaster in a game we lost and the Peterborough draw. Not to say he didn't score some important ones of course.

There is then the argument we might miss his set pieces but as a midfield schemer/his contributions breaking from the three in midfield are perhaps slightly less than you might expect/more replaceable from a purely moneyball type point of view? The set piece contributions also dried up significantly after the start of the season.

As a replacement, a more functional midfielder who can progress the ball might also be an option, e.g. you don't need to replace him with a 10 as the goals and assists come from the front three. And as long as we have someone who can take a set piece, that covers that base.

Might be overly negative and clearly not going to be upset if we retain him after a L1 team of the season 20/21, but I'd have more confidence in finding a replacement than say a Bridcutt who I'm sure will be here (where the experience was a huge loss) or a Tom Hopper as we just seemed to look a team bereft of ideas when Morton came in. Likewise finding someone who can do the Brennan Johnson x-factor role!

More generally, I'd see Grant bottom end Championship based on his technical ability and how his all round contribution has grown - and I can really see it happening now that's all been confirmed regarding his clause. I think it'll be quite favourable to him as he wouldn't have signed the deal if we'd put in an absurd clause that lower Championship teams wouldn't match. Even one of the teams that have got promoted?
Some very good points raised there and I agree, we're a different club now and far more capable than ever before to replace a departing star player when they go.

With regard to possible replacements should Grant move on, is it possible they are already in the building?

Edun has many similar skills and a more dynamic game, but needs further experience and polish. Sanders was bigged up by Brighton fans when we signed him, and while he's seen as more as cover and replacement for Bridcutt, that has also been a role Grant has played.

Two young players to have more match time and responsibility next season, as per the club's stated model?

With regard to possible replacements should Grant move on, is it possible they are already in the building?

Edun has many similar skills and a more dynamic game, but needs further experience and polish. Sanders was bigged up by Brighton fans when we signed him, and while he's seen as more as cover and replacement for Bridcutt, that has also been a role Grant has played.

Two young players to have more match time and responsibility next season, as per the club's stated model?

I think if we play very 'vertically' and on the counter we could have a more functional midfield than one that requires Grant. The Jones signing was that type of box to box midfielder I'm thinking about? If he had a better season/is well recovered from covid than the midfield 3 could be back to your Bridcutt/Jones/Mcgrandles with it being a bit more Jones or Edun and Bridcutt or Sanders?

A lot of recently successful teams, if you think like your Liverpool's and even your recent era France have tended to be more physically gifted in midfield, good pressers and hard to pay through with the goal contributions coming from the front three.

The challenge would then be against teams that press us very high if we can't progress the ball through midfield or if we need the extra guile against teams that park the bus?