Jorge Grant & Adam Jackson Update | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jorge Grant & Adam Jackson Update

Without Grant, I don't think we can afford the luxury of Johnson in midfield. I'd play him up front instead of Rogers.

Jones has to play if only because he takes decent free kicks and corners.

So for me:-

Palmer
Poole, Eyoma, Montsma, Edun
Sanders, Jones, McGrandles
Scully, Hopper, Johnson

I’d be happy to go with TJ at CB and Poole at RB. I’m surprised we haven’t played Sanders in the DM role yet, unless there’s a reason MA won’t play him yet. Think McGrandles & Jones are the only real options for the other two MF positions. I agree Johnson should replace Rogers and that Scully & Hopper are the other two. Rogers can come on for Johnson or move Johnson over to replace Scully.

Palmer
Poole, TJ, Montsma, Edun
Jones, Sanders, McGrandles
Scully, Hopper, Johnson

subs: Long, Rogers, Bramall, Roughan, Archibald, anyone else that’s fit 😳

I mean Eyoma plays right back and Poole plays centre back as he has done many times in his career to date.

I didn't realise that. I knew he had played some games in the middle and thought he had played on the right-side of a back three, but didn't know he had played as a straight centre-half.

I’d be happy to go with TJ at CB and Poole at RB. I’m surprised we haven’t played Sanders in the DM role yet, unless there’s a reason MA won’t play him yet. Think McGrandles & Jones are the only real options for the other two MF positions. I agree Johnson should replace Rogers and that Scully & Hopper are the other two. Rogers can come on for Johnson or move Johnson over to replace Scully.

Palmer
Poole, TJ, Montsma, Edun
Jones, Sanders, McGrandles
Scully, Hopper, Johnson

subs: Long, Rogers, Bramall, Roughan, Archibald, anyone else that’s fit 😳

We really are getting to the bare bones now.
Only one £4m player on the bench!

I didn't realise that. I knew he had played some games in the middle and thought he had played on the right-side of a back three, but didn't know he had played as a straight centre-half.

To be fair most of his centre back appearances have been in a 3. He's certainly played in a 2 at Northampton and possibly Newport. Either way, he has more experience of playing there than TJ. Though TJ perhaps had the better physical attributes to play there.

Just seen the MA presser. Apparently Sanders has a very slight strain on his hamstring and they’ve been protecting him. If that’s the case I guess MA has no choice but to play Johnson in MF and Rogers up front.

Palmer,Poole, Eyoma, Montsma,Roughan,McGrandles, Edun, Jones,Scully, Hopper, Johnson.

Subs. Long, Archibald, Sanders, Bramall, Rogers, Morton

or bring Sanders into holding MF . play Edun in Grants roll.

Time for some Mike Bassett, four four f'kin two?
Jones and McGrandles midfield 2. Johnson, Roger's wide, front 2 of Hopper and Scully. Back 4 of whoever can walk!
On top of the personnnel changes due to injury, its an added risk as the whole squad will have been coached in 4-3-3 - you can see the way they play, most of the time players cover and move for others and it's the system that's got us this far.

But if they don't think Sanders is fit yet for the DM role, it certainly has some logic.

I wonder if we can/ will recall Melbourne? I notice he was withdrawn from the Walsall team very close to kick off on Saturday but I've no idea why.

I didn't realise about Sanders. In that case our bench now looks very frail,

Palmer
Jones, McGrandles, Johnson
Scully, Hopper, Morgan

subs - Long, Bramhall, Roughan, Archibald (not fully match fit), Cann

That is one fully fit first team fringe regular, one not fully match fit squad player and three from the academy.

As a couple of high profile examples Liverpool & Leicester are also suffering injury problems, of course they have larger squads.
Not going into the fatigue thread again but it’s not normal to be playing Saturday- Tuesday pretty much every week, fatigued or not.
Just reading the Monday write ups Newcastle (Almeiron) Villa ( Grealish) Southampton (Romeu) all picking up serious injuries to key players

Time for Jones to step up and show what he can do.

The best you can say is that we can still put out a reasonable side - although of course it's far from being our strongest eleven.

Any thoughts on who will be captain? McGrandles?

I didn't realise about Sanders. In that case our bench now looks very frail,

Palmer
Jones, McGrandles, Johnson
Scully, Hopper, Morgan

subs - Long, Bramhall, Roughan, Archibald (not fully match fit), Cann

That is one fully fit first team fringe regular, one not fully match fit squad player and three from the academy.
As Notty says, I can't remember an injury list like this.

Cann, Long and Roughan are actually full-time professionals. They only play for the academy side because they are still within permissible age range and are considered not ready for the first team. Long is on the bench because we haven't got another goalkeeper and would only play in a dire emergency, while MA has already said that Cann will not be considered this season.

That effectively leaves us with 13 fit and viable players.

Poole made all of his appearances for the various Wales teams at centre-half (35 caps in all) and was the U21 captain, so perfectly able to deputise there. Sean Roughan can also play there or at left-back, and Bramall is cover for left-back too, so the defence is not a huge problem at the moment.

We can still field a good side on the pitch, but it really is down to the bare bones beyond that as you say. Picking up another injury or two does not bear thinking about, there is no cover at all in midfield and none up front.

Anyone fancy some international call-ups later this month? We had better hope there are three of them, not one or two.

I wonder if we can/ will recall Melbourne? I notice he was withdrawn from the Walsall team very close to kick off on Saturday but I've no idea why.
MA was doubtful regarding Elbouzedi, so that may indicate there is generally no recall option in January loans to the end of the season unless specifically written into the deal. Would other clubs take players on loan for the second half of the season on that basis? Probably not, it would seriously affect their planning. Season-long loans are different, with a specific recall option only in January.