Jordan Smith out on loan. | Vital Football

Jordan Smith out on loan.

Lienking

Vital Football Hero
Jordan Smith has joined Barnsley on emergency loan. Hopefully he will get some game time. Probably a better backup than Steele, but he needs to be playing.

I like him, not sure why he's better back up than Steele but good to go get game time for sure

Steele was released by Bristol City last year. From what I've seen of him he's no better than Smith. Smith as a young keeper does need game time though if he's going to get any better. Looks like he might only get one game at Barnsley though.

I used to play in goal in primary school, so I like to think I know a bit about net minding.

Smith is a good shot stopper. His close quarter work isnt as good as Steeles or Pantilimons. His distribution isnt as good as Steeles but is probably on par with Pantilimons; shocking. Command of the area, Smith is definitely third in the pecking order.

I hope this helps

I used to play in goal in primary school, so I like to think I know a bit about net minding.

Smith is a good shot stopper. His close quarter work isnt as good as Steeles or Pantilimons. His distribution isnt as good as Steeles but is probably on par with Pantilimons; shocking. Command of the area, Smith is definitely third in the pecking order.

I hope this helps

As an opinion from a supporter who doesn't see a game I too have a view and that is that if Smith was any good he'd be playing right now in the first team. It seems to me that it's been a while since we've had what I'd call a good goalie.
Smith is certainly a tryer but if we ever reach the Premier League we have to do better.

Apollyon, have you kept your boots ?

No idea how he played, but Smith kept a clean sheet for Barnsley. He is still only 23, and I would certainly rate him higher than Luke Steele. Smith is a great shot stopper, but weaker on crosses and distribution. Pants is 31 and much more experienced than Smith, but for all of his 6ft 8" he isn't much better on crosses, and his distribution is poor.

Barnsley beat Accrington Stanley 2-0, with 10 men & apparently, Smith got a round of applause from his team mates, post match.

Personally, I'd hope we can send him out on loan in January - so that he does get game time, otherwise you can't see him being involved with the first team, unless we have injuries.

They said he looked absolute quality and commanded his area well. Theyre hoping for a loan in January of him.

Would be a good move, although he'd be going there as a No.2 & we need to go somewhere to get games.

Interesting that it was Smith who went on loan & not Stephen Henderson - who we still haven't managed to offload. His contract expires in June 2019, so you'd think he'll be paid up in January!

Few comments from the Barnsley forum:

Smith gets my vote for MotM. Didn't play like someone who only signed yesterday and is gone already. Had a really good understanding with his back four, good at kicking and a true sweeper keeper with the amount of times he was nearly out of his area coming for the ball. Deserved his clean sheet and a splendid full stretch save to keep out Pinnock which would have been some own goal.

Agreed. Made some superbs saves.

Loanee keeper Jordan Smith got a round of applause from the whole #BarnsleyFC squad after the match for his performance and clean sheet. DS said it was a difficult situation for him after only training with the team once.

though he played really well. Made two great saves in the first 15 minutes when AS came out all guns blazing and then commanded his area, Very quick to react when they broke fast and on at least two occasions charged out to stop their attack. Given he had no time to build an understanding with our back line and kept a clean sheet it was a top performance from a young keeper.

Big thanks to Jordan Smith for keeping us in it.

That will surely help his confidence and hopefully, secure a decent loan - much like Yates - he needs game time, playing for the u23's will not help either of them!

So he did things in one game at Barnsley that he's never done here:

"Had a really good understanding with his back four."

"Good at kicking"

"A true sweeper keeper."

wtf?!?

I felt very sorry for Smith at the Millwall opening game last season. He was constantly playing the ball short to his defenders from goal kicks and was clearly following his manager's orders, but he looked so uncomfortable.

His confidence looked shot from that point on, which was a real shame as he would have been riding high after that save against Ipswich that kept us up.

He's still got time to develop into a good Championship keeper and, based on what I've seen this season, I wouldn't be averse to him coming back into the side for Pantz.

Have to admit, I don’t see a massive difference between him & Pantz. Would like to see him play behind halfway decent defence

I felt very sorry for Smith at the Millwall opening game last season. He was constantly playing the ball short to his defenders from goal kicks and was clearly following his manager's orders, but he looked so uncomfortable.

His confidence looked shot from that point on, which was a real shame as he would have been riding high after that save against Ipswich that kept us up.

He's still got time to develop into a good Championship keeper and, based on what I've seen this season, I wouldn't be averse to him coming back into the side for Pantz.

Pantz is also playing behind defenders who have a level of competence; poor owd Smith had to contend with the likes of Traore, Mills, Mancienne and Lichaj.

Wasn't he in behind Robinson hef Dawson and byram against bury?
Conceding after 2 minutes then getting sent off after half an hour?
He needs game time but I'd rather have steele than him if pants went down with an injury