Jonathan Kodjia Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

Jonathan Kodjia Thread

The only strikers we need to get rid of are Hogan and Mccormack.

Neither is much use to us under SB that's for sure, but we'd be lucky to sell them. As has been mentioned, to state the obvious, Kodja is only worth his place if scoring consistently. Otherwise he has the potential to become disruptive. We definitely need another option.

I'll quite happily eat my hat when he's helped integrate the youngsters, scored 15 goals, provided 10 assists and Villa are promoted.:tophat: While you're at it, add great strikers must be totally selfish to the list of footballing cliches. Just ask Gray, Little, Deehan, Withe, Shaw etc.

I prefer, great strikers are single minded and consistently make the right decisions in front of goal.

And sometimes, the right decision is to pass to a better placed team mate. The list of strikers you have put up, to whom you could have added McParland, Hitchens and Dixon, would all tell you the same.

I'll quite happily eat my hat when he's helped integrate the youngsters, scored 15 goals, provided 10 assists and Villa are promoted.:tophat: While you're at it, add great strikers must be totally selfish to the list of footballing cliches. Just ask Gray, Little, Deehan, Withe, Shaw etc.

I prefer, great strikers are single minded and consistently make the right decisions in front of goal.

Great strikers aren't playing in the Championship, if he was he would have been snapped up by a top flight club 2 seasons ago.

Neither is much use to us under SB that's for sure, but we'd be lucky to sell them. As has been mentioned, to state the obvious, Kodja is only worth his place if scoring consistently. Otherwise he has the potential to become disruptive. We definitely need another option.

The height of purchasing stupidity really northampton, play wingers and buy a forward who is at his best having balls played through the back-line, to take advantage of the great little runs and movements he makes.

Great strikers aren't playing in the Championship, if he was he would have been snapped up by a top flight club 2 seasons ago.

Happy to replace the word great with decent. Sir Brian started life in the lower divisions and IMO he's the best I'll ever see in a Villa shirt

Decision making is more about brains, attitude and instinct than skill. To be great you need them all, to be decent you need some. IMO, one of Kodja's weaknesses is his attitude, that's partly why he's not Premiership quality.

MO, one of Kodja's weaknesses is his attitude, that's partly why he's not Premiership quality.

Spot on.

I said it once before, but I’d also add to that he’s an immature footballer at times, there are too many instances where he should pass and set the team up to win but wants to take the glory himself. Really grates on me his decision making, the defence is he’s a striker, but first and foremost he’s paid and his job is for villa - not for a golden boot award.

Ah right. For some reason I always thought he was a full back. My Dad loved Johnny Dixon said he was a lovely player.

Ah right. For some reason I always thought he was a full back. My Dad loved Johnny Dixon said he was a lovely player.

Didn't realise he was a forward until I checked; also thought he was defence. Can remember his name from the 1957 Cup Final; think that was his last year at the top.

In kodjia's first season he scored a bagful and showed he was a quality player. However he could still be frustrating, he seemed to want to do it alone too often to be fair that first season he often needed to. Since ankle injuries have happened and he hasn't had any impact and still that body language and lone thinking is there. I wonder if he needs a striking partner someone to feed off who holds the ball up and will do the team play work. I'd like to see young Davis when fit up front with him. Otherwise it could be best to part ways, the collective should always be stronger than the individual. But I sure hope he grabs a few goals and proves me wrong.

I find Kodjia frustrating. I know he is coming off the back of a terrible run of injuries, but if anything that should mean even more that he should be looking for other options than trying to everything himself and in the end failing. I'm hoping he can find some of that pre-injury form and confidence again this season other wise he is just going to end up pissing people off.

Green looks 10x the striker Kodjia

Kodji will score 10 goals, wheras he could have made better passes and the team as a whole scored 15 - One man band, which is fine when he is firing, but most of the time he is the breakdown of the attack because his heads down and isnt a team player.

Someone i want as a 75 min sub to come one and change things up, not a starter.

Find the criticism of kodjia strange at this point. Think people need to consider his injury issues more carefully and lower expectations.

Without his goals in his first season with us we were in the crap. He then gets injured. Is out for months. Comes back then gets injured again with the same ankle. Yet people think that he will just pick up where he left off . Sorry in the real world it doesn't happen like that. In the not too distant past his career would have been over with that injury.

Give the guy a break. If in six months his form is still not good enough then yes questions should be asked.

He has proved he is good for us. Yes he is frustrating with his apparent lack of decision making at times. But FACT, he can do the x factor stuff for us. He has before and can again.

I'm not convinced he is going to fully recover and recapture that form. This league is brutal and that ankle could easily go again

Funny how football fans minds work sometimes.

When a crap player is left out of the team for any length of time they somehow become world beaters in peoples minds. Reo Coker was a good example of this.

Yet it seems when a good player is out they become crap in peoples minds.

Kodjia is a quality striker and given the service will score goals.

As for him being selfish, I think before his injury he was rectifying this. He set up a few of Alberts goals when Albert went on that amazing run of goals.