Jonathan Kodjia Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

Jonathan Kodjia Thread

It is different returning to training and returning to being fully over an injury and match fit. Obviously. Let's hope though. Be great to have another option and he's a great option.

It's a big ask to come back from 2 broken ankles and be expected to hit form straight away.

Having said that , maybe 20 mins or so off the bench could be a game changer for us if needed.

Very welcome return. Could be great for us next season.

But I hope Bruce doesn't go over the top and have him starting. He needs several games off the bench.

Yes there is a danger of that. He needs easing back into things - we can't pin our promotion hopes on him. Stick with Grabban or Hogan as first choice, at least until play-offs are secured.

Shit or bust for me get him up ro speed , Garbban seems to have hit the wall playing on his own and Hogan hit the wall months ago , vastly overrated.
Koj can do it on his own and in this lacklustre side he will bloody well have to .

Grabban was a pointless signing when isolated and reverting to hoofball, may as well play Hogan, may as well play Gabby for that matter. Kodja has the ability to do more out of nothing but it seems desperation from Bruce to me rushing him back. we shouldn't have needed to rush him back but clearly now we do

One thing has stood out for me during this pre-season.

Kodjia's body language has never been the best, but during these few games, I've found it to be an absolute disgrace. Throwing his hands up all over the place, bawling out teammates and generally strolling around with no effort.

If he's going to be our main striker this season, we may have to revise our hopes.

Billy big bollocks. Don't buy all this Jimmy Danger bullshit. The worst type of team mate is one who puts himself before the team all the time.
Has made little impression since returning from injury.

If he's going to upset the dressing room sell him. Don't need him undermining the younger players unnecessarily. Guess this is where someone like JT would come in.

Kodjia is our best striker by far, probably the only one who can create a chance for himself. He's always been a bit greedy since day 1, but when he's banging goals in like he was 18 months ago nobody cares. If he made the right decision every time, he would be playing for a team in a far better position than us.

For me, he's a player who will score 20 goals a season but, in scoring those 20 he'll waste another 40-50 chances that could be scored if he'd learn to pass to a team-mate in a better position.
That means that he needs to play in a team that create massive numbers of chances, if they are to do well. That is not the Villa, we have struggled over the past few seasons to create anything on a regular basis. That is down to the many manergerial and style changes we have undergone. We've had a manager who likes playing with wingers and a big target man, who's been replaced by a manager who doesn't like wingers etc etc.
Instead of buying a name, we should be buying players who fit the system or systems we will be playing. That I would have thought is nothing but common sense.

Reckon Kodjia's fine. He's not the only one trying to score from very difficult positions in pre-season; others are doing it, Grealish for one. That's what pre-season is for, to get strikers up to speed.

When he came back last season he showed a lot more awareness of other players, and I think we'll see that when the season proper starts. We'll still see mis-fires; a striker has to go for it as dithering on the ball doesn't work. But I reckon he'll do OK.

We now have a number of players who can find the net, in contrast to our first Championship season when Kodjia was our only serious threat. Think we have a nice mixture.

Kodjia has always had his detractors, even when he was banging them in during his 1st season. People call him selfish but take selfishness out of a striker and you've got Emile Heskey and none of us want that.

Ask yourself this question. 90th minute in a crucial game a villa man goes through 1 on 1. Would you prefer it be Hogan, Davis, Knibbs, RHM or Kodjia because those are our striker options.

I'll quite happily eat my hat when he's helped integrate the youngsters, scored 15 goals, provided 10 assists and Villa are promoted.:tophat: While you're at it, add great strikers must be totally selfish to the list of footballing cliches. Just ask Gray, Little, Deehan, Withe, Shaw etc.

I prefer, great strikers are single minded and consistently make the right decisions in front of goal.